Sigma's new DP2s, DP1x and SD15 shooters could make you poor with the click ...

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 21, 2010
      Anyone use these reportedly super magnificant cameras or their predecessors on the JMT? The review of the predecessor at backpackinglight.com were magnificant.

      Sent to you by Roleigh Martin via Google Reader:

      via Engadget by Paul Miller on 2/21/10

      Perhaps it's unfair to peg as "pricey" a trio of cameras with as yet unannounced pricing, but Sigma's got a bit of rep in that department. It also has a reputation for cramming incredible sensors inside beautiful, minimalistic form factors, and that certainly doesn't seem to be changing. The DP2s (pictured) and DP1x compacts (followups to the DP2 and DP1s, respectively) share a tweaked rear design that should hopefully make the notoriously obtuse cameras a bit easier to operate, and the DP1x is also putting the "Quick Set" button and True II processor from the DP2 to bear on its wide-angle view. Both cameras also boast a new, faster auto focus algorithm, but at the root of it all is the same old 14 megapixel DSLR-level CMOS sensor. In fact, Sigma's also stuffing this DSLR-style sensor into a DSLR, the new SD15. It was originally announced way back in 2008, but it's apparently really happening this time. It includes the same True II processor, a larger 3-inch LCD, and all those fancy DSLR perks like swappable lenses and a 77-segment AE sensor. Unfortunately, there's no word on price or release dates for any of this trio just yet.

      Sigma's new DP2s, DP1x and SD15 shooters could make you poor with the click of a shutter originally appeared on Engadget on Sun, 21 Feb 2010 03:08:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

      Things you can do from here:

    • snkworth
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 21, 2010
        I have not, but I enjoyed reading about it after your post. I am very happy with the (somewhat similar) Panasonic DMC-LX3 (lighter, smaller, faster lens, less expensive) that I carried on my hip-belt last year. It has an amazing f2.0 Leica lens. I made a 16x20 print (out of an image of a foxtail pine that I shot on the slopes of Mt. Young) that holds up as well as a good image from my medium-format Rolliflex.

        Happy trails,

        Nancy from Mt. Shasta