questions

  • V
    Message 1 of 36 , Mar 1, 2005
      Ok here go the questions.

      My hiking partner has said for sure she wants to do it!! woohoo.
      however, we are already having date issues. What are the permit rules
      for Yosmite? Do you have to have a permit for the first couple of
      nights in the park if you are going to thru hike it? Sunrise &
      Cathedral & Little Yosemite Valley?

      Also, for those of you who are experienced JMT hikers and live out
      there...whats your take on a good time to start for this year? Do you
      think snow late/snow early? We are having date issues and wonder if
      it would be better to go early July or late Aug this year? I noticed
      someone is going Labor Day? that seems awfully late....

      vera
    • Kevin Aston
      Message 36 of 36 , Oct 13, 2008
        I just did this trail this summer. It is closer to 20 miles. We did 4.5 on a Sunday, and then 15.8mi on the Monday to get to the Bridge at the Junction. It is a 22 mile drive from Bishop to North Lake. I have pictures and most of the story of my hike at www.kevinaston.com
        Kevin Aston

        Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...> wrote: Bob, is this the bridge over Piute Creek where the Piute Pass trail meets
        the JMT? According to the Lizzy Wenk book, she says it is 15.6 miles from
        Piute Pass Trailhead to the JMT. That is about a 1.5 day hike then for
        someone starting out at a 10 mile a day pace. Is the trail pretty much
        half-up, half-down (up and over the Pass) to the JMT?

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/roleigh/2839125510/in/set-72157607171459740/

        It has two signs, one on each end of the bridge (the first sign has two
        sides to it)
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/roleigh/2838293511/in/set-72157607171459740/
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/roleigh/2838293607/in/set-72157607171459740/

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/roleigh/2838292963/in/set-72157607171459740/