Introduction

  • V
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 28, 2005
      Hello all,
      as a long time yahoo hiking group member I will do what I encourage
      others to do when they join and will introduce myself. I'm Vera or
      the Missing Kink from Indiana. I work as store manager of a small
      gear store here. My boss and I are contemplating doing the JMT this
      summer. I am a long time AT section hiker and have hiked all over the
      midwest...NOTHING like CA. I came close to getting on the PCT a
      couple of years ago when I was near San Diego in the MTns at a Girl
      Scout camp...wow beautiful scenary!

      I am enjoying the photos. A friend of mine hiked the JMT last year
      solo in June and since it was a dry year said it was outstanding. My
      hiking partner has done quite a lot of western hiking with her
      husband. I have been counseled to put my bear bag in bushes so that a
      bear doesnt' roll it into a river!..:) I found this to be amusing yet
      frightening! :) Needless to say this newbie needs some help...:) so
      tolerance please as I pepper you with questions...

      thanks more later,
      vera
    • Anthony Zurowski
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2005
        Hello Vera:
        Tony here in Los Angeles--planning on doing the trail north to south solo in late June. Would love to talk and help if I can. First off, forget the bear bag-hanging...the parks require a bear cannister these days...you can rent or buy...but you probably know that.
        Let me know if I can help in any way.
        Cheers,
        Tony

        V <vjl_47@...> wrote:

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Vera Lehmkuhl
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 1, 2005
          Hi Tony,
          yes I know about the cannister thing...a friend told me to lay it in a bush so bears would roll it over a cliff or into a river...now see we don't ahve to worry about that out here.....
          more later off to work.

          V <vjl_47@...> wrote:

[...]

        • JD Schaefer
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 1, 2005
            Vera
            Better yet on the bear can is to jamb it into a fallen tree trunk branch
            crotch that doesn't encourage swatting to dislodge it, or pile rocks
            around it.
            JD
            JMT SoBo 2002 Solo

            V wrote:

            >Hello all,
            >as a long time yahoo hiking group member I will do what I encourage
            >others to do when they join and will introduce myself. I'm Vera or
            >the Missing Kink from Indiana. I work as store manager of a small
            >gear store here. My boss and I are contemplating doing the JMT this
            >summer. I am a long time AT section hiker and have hiked all over the
            >midwest...NOTHING like CA. I came close to getting on the PCT a
            >couple of years ago when I was near San Diego in the MTns at a Girl
            >Scout camp...wow beautiful scenary!
            >
            >I am enjoying the photos. A friend of mine hiked the JMT last year
            >solo in June and since it was a dry year said it was outstanding. My
            >hiking partner has done quite a lot of western hiking with her
            >husband. I have been counseled to put my bear bag in bushes so that a
            >bear doesnt' roll it into a river!..:) I found this to be amusing yet
            >frightening! :) Needless to say this newbie needs some help...:) so
            >tolerance please as I pepper you with questions...
            >
            >thanks more later,
            >vera
            >

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Anthony Zurowski
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 1, 2005
              Dear Vera:
              Howdy...Tony in LA...you're getting good advice from the folks in the group. I'm going solo June 27 to July something. So I expect some snow and cold still. I get my permits from the Yosemite Association(209 372 0740)--leaving from Happy Isles/Little Yosemite and, yes, they affix a special tab for the Whitney Zone...easy as pie...but do it soon for your prefered entry date. I'm hoping the resupply issues resolve themselves in a dream.

              V <vjl_47@...> wrote:

[...]

              \
              tony

            • pdahl2@netscape.net
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 1, 2005
                Vera:
                I solo hiked the JMT in 2003. The Sierras have had more snow this year than in several recent years. Mammoth Mountain received 18 feet of snow in January alone. I would anticipate quite a bit of snow on the trail at the higher elevations through July.

                I got my back country permit though Yosemite's web site. In 2003 you could reserve a permit request 24 weeks in advance. I requested a permit exactly 24 weeks prior to hitting the trail. A week later no further permits were available for that date.

                I resupplied food at Red's Meadow, Vermillion Valley Resort (a great place that welcomes hikers) and Muir Trail Ranch.

                Good luck

                Patrick

                Anthony Zurowski <anthonyzurowski@...> wrote:

                >Dear Vera:
                >Howdy...Tony in LA...you're getting good advice from the folks in the group.  I'm going solo June 27 to July something.  So I expect some snow and cold still.  I get my permits from the Yosemite Association(209 372 0740)--leaving from Happy Isles/Little Yosemite and, yes, they affix a special tab for the Whitney Zone...easy as pie...but do it soon for your prefered entry date.  I'm hoping the resupply issues resolve themselves in a dream.
                >

                >V <vjl_47@...> wrote:
                >
                >Hello all,
                >as a long time yahoo hiking group member I will do what I encourage
                >others to do when they join and will introduce myself. I'm Vera or
                >the Missing Kink from Indiana. I work as store manager of a small
                >gear store here. My boss and I are contemplating doing the JMT this
                >summer. I am a long time AT section hiker and have hiked all over the
                >midwest...NOTHING like CA. I came close to getting on the PCT a
                >couple of years ago when I was near San Diego in the MTns at a Girl
                >Scout camp...wow beautiful scenary!
                >
                >I am enjoying the photos. A friend of mine hiked the JMT last year
                >solo in June and since it was a dry year said it was outstanding. My
                >hiking partner has done quite a lot of western hiking with her
                >husband. I have been counseled to put my bear bag in bushes so that a
                >bear doesnt' roll it into a river!..:) I found this to be amusing yet
                >frightening! :) Needless to say this newbie needs some help...:) so
                >tolerance please as I pepper you with questions...
                >
                >thanks more later,
                >vera
                >

                >Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                >   Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
                >

                > \
                >   tony

                Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

                Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

              • Vera Lehmkuhl
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 1, 2005
                  Hi again Tony and everyone.
                  well its almost official...My hiking partner, Jane, decided that its a go, we called and got a date, July 31 to start from Happy Valley to Little Yosemite now all that's left is to break it to my pregnant daughter that I am leaving on the 29th...ack...shes due the 22nd....think good thoughts everyone that she delivers early...please no telling me I'm a bad mother either! :)

                  ack, I can't believe it...

                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 1, 2005
                    Tony,
                    we're leaving 4 days after you...actually almost left on the 27th!! :) but its too close to due date for daughter. Ack snow and cold eh? the ranger said that sometimes they have really hot spells in Mar/April and it melts all the snow...:)

                    you better stop dreaming and get plannin...:)

                    nite all,

                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 2, 2005
                      Dear Vera:
                      Hey, congrats...it's awsome when your plans start to coalesce. We are certain to run into each other. I'm really taking my time...hoping to poke around Mts Ritter and Lyell with some other glacier stops. Far from being a bad mum...she'll get here revenge in babysitting when you return. Coming North to South means that you'll be hitting the north faces of Muir, Forester and the other passes. So, yeah, snow. But NO NEW SNOW...and sun pockets and other trekkers work wonders on the trail, so route finding can only sometimes be tricky...but take you're time...where else you'goin'. I am not bad at snow....I'll try to leave a wide trail...lol. River's will be, well, kinda scarry. DO THEM IN THE MORNING and take a little time to really find the comfortable crossing. Don't think you're dumb to even wait a day at the worse...some one might come by in a mule train to help you cross...ugh, as if heaven sent. Remember, undo your straps, take off your socks but not your boots, and the
                      WIDER the area the more likely it is to be shallow and less rapid. But little we wear is real...it all dries rather fast. But, sent some pics of my greatest concern...Forester Pass, these are the switchbacks, and these are the switchbacks on snow...ugh. But, yeah, April and May can be cruel to all standing snow...hurrah. This is a great site www.virtualparks.com look for the JMT shots...very helpful. Later,
                      Tony