Re: the jmt in may?

  • Snow Nymph
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 26, 2005
      May is a little early.

      Photo from Kearsarge Pass May 15, 2004.
      http://community.webshots.com/photo/143785644/144389724Sivvia
      That's Charlotte Lake in the distance, the JMT goes right by it.

      Photo from Mammoth Mountain on May 22, 2004:
      http://community.webshots.com/photo/146120037/146455502qhgcxq Duck
      Pass and the Silver Divide is out that way to the right.

      Photo of Whitney June 6, 2004 from Lone Pine Peak:
      http://community.webshots.com/photo/150543711/151587857nEtcXa This
      is the south end of the JMT.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, plockey@a... wrote:

      > I think that might be one hell of a challenge. I did the JMT last
      > summer and through my preparation used a lot of PCT material. As
      many
      > know the PCT'ers are normally the first to pass through the JMT
      each
      > year. What I found is that the unofficial rule is coming up from
      the
      > south you should not get to Kennedy Meadows before June 15, I
      think
      > that many PCT'ers even have sort of a rendezvous they call ray day
      > for Ray Jardine. That being said if all is correct with what I
      have
      > heard on the news about the heavy California snows a May attempt
      on
      > the trail, well here is a pic coming down Forester Pass,
      > http://www.paullockey.com/JMT2004/August1/photos/photo_33.html
      > Imagine it covered in a few feet of snow. This one may not even
      be
      > the worst. Going up Whitney, The Golden Staircase, Muir pass on
      the
      > Helen lake side and many others. That's just my two cents and if
      you
      > do go for it please let me see the pics.
      >
      > Good luck
      > Paul
      >

      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Catra Corbett
      > <catrarunner@y...> wrote:
      > > Hey James-
      > >

      > > It's Catra.. Saw your message on the JMT list. May is not the
      > best time of year on the JMT. There will be snow. I'm starting
      my
      > PCT speed record in Mid May and I'm already freaking out about
      going
      > through the JMT section with a lot of snow. I have been on the
      trail
      > in the past with a lot of snow. It's hard to find your way.
      > >
      > > I figure if I start my PCT journey after the hikers I will be
      able
      > to find my way.
      > >
      > > Thats all for now...
      > >
      > > Catra
      > >

      > > "james c. varner" <jvarner1313@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > hello folks
      > >
      > > i'm new to the group and i've never been on the jmt or even
      close.
      > > but i'm curious about the condition of the trail in the month of
      > may.
      > > may seems like the only time this year i'd be able to make it to
      > > california but i'd really like to run this trail this year. so
      if
      > > anyone could give me an idea of how much of the trail is still
      > > covered in snow in mid may on an average year i would really
      > > appreciate it.
      > >
      > > thanks
      > > james from olympia
      > > aka soccerball seagull
      > > me2ga 99

      > Service.

    • Snow Nymph
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 26, 2005
        and here's Ritter & Banner from Mammoth Mountain a year before (May
        10, 2003):
        http://community.webshots.com/photo/72845305/72848789YoQZjH

        Every year is different, but there will still be a lot of snow out
        there. We always do our long trips in Aug/Sept

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Snow Nymph" <snownymph@s...>

      • plockey@austin.rr.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 27, 2005
          Great pics Snow Nymph. Here's another that might give you pause on a
          May trip. This one is just before the Whitney Summit on August 3:
          http://www.paullockey.com/JMT2004/August3/photos/photo_20.html

          http://www.paullockey.com/JMT2004/August3/photos/photo_34.html

          These are on the trail. Can't imagine what it would be like in May.

          Paul

          wrote:

> [...]
          > > be
          > > > the worst. Going up Whitney, The Golden Staircase, Muir pass on
          > > the
          > > > Helen lake side and many others. That's just my two cents and
          if
          > > you
          > > > do go for it please let me see the pics.
          > > >
          > > > Good luck
          > > > Paul
          > > >

          > > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Catra Corbett

          > the
          > > > best time of year on the JMT. There will be snow. I'm
          starting
          > > my
          > > > PCT speed record in Mid May and I'm already freaking out about
          > > going
          > > > through the JMT section with a lot of snow. I have been on the
          > > trail
          > > > in the past with a lot of snow. It's hard to find your way.

        • thomas taylor
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 27, 2005
            Hey Plocky, SNow Nymph, Snow Dude ...,

            Those are great photo's that were posted! Makes you
            want to get out on the trail early.

            That photo looking down Forrester (looking south, I
            suppose) really looks scary - especially if you would
            imagine it snow covered. One slip and it would be
            adios amigo for sure. If anyone has anyone been on it
            when it was, please share your experience and any
            photo's of it that you have. The photographer Galen
            Rowell and party once did a winter traverse of the JMT
            on ski's (18 days if I remember correctly) but does
            not give a daily log nor mentiones any difficulities
            along the trail in the published trip report. MAybe
            after Everest and all, the JMT in winter was just a
            work-out for him.

            Thanks again for the posts.

            Thomas
            --- plockey@... wrote:

> [...]
            > > 10, 2003):

            http://community.webshots.com/photo/72845305/72848789YoQZjH

            > > Every year is different, but there will still be a
            > lot of snow out
            > > there. We always do our long trips in Aug/Sept
            > >

            > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Snow Nymph"
            > <snownymph@s...>
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > May is a little early.
            > > >
            > > > Photo from Kearsarge Pass May 15, 2004.

            http://community.webshots.com/photo/143785644/144389724Sivvia

            > > > That's Charlotte Lake in the distance, the JMT
            > goes right by it.
            > > >
            > > > Photo from Mammoth Mountain on May 22, 2004:

            http://community.webshots.com/photo/146120037/146455502qhgcxq

            > > Duck
            > > > Pass and the Silver Divide is out that way to
            > the right.
            > > >
            > > > Photo of Whitney June 6, 2004 from Lone Pine

            === message truncated ===

            =====
            Best regards,

            Thomas

            Thomas Taylor
            tgtaylor7@...
            http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
          • Snow Nymph
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 28, 2005
              We did the JMT in 30 days, 4 layovers but we dayhiked those days
              (adding 59 miles to the trip), and climbed four 14ers. We covered
              the first 100 miles in 10 days. While planning, we weren't sure what
              we could do. We allowed 30 days and could have come out early, but
              didn't want to. We stretched out the last 20 days. We were also
              ~20 days into the JMT on 9/11, climbing Split Mountain, so we didn't
              know what happened til 3 days after. Our friends resupplied us and
              brought newspapers in for us. Planning to do the JMT again in 30
              days, but will add a lot more side trips and peaks. I love being in
              the Sierra!

              More photos on our website: www.snow-nymph.com We have a "JMT" page
              with our 30 day trip.

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@y...>