Re: the jmt in may?

  • plockey@austin.rr.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 23, 2005
      I think that might be one hell of a challenge. I did the JMT last
      summer and through my preparation used a lot of PCT material. As many
      know the PCT'ers are normally the first to pass through the JMT each
      year. What I found is that the unofficial rule is coming up from the
      south you should not get to Kennedy Meadows before June 15, I think
      that many PCT'ers even have sort of a rendezvous they call ray day
      for Ray Jardine. That being said if all is correct with what I have
      heard on the news about the heavy California snows a May attempt on
      the trail, well here is a pic coming down Forester Pass,
      http://www.paullockey.com/JMT2004/August1/photos/photo_33.html
      Imagine it covered in a few feet of snow. This one may not even be
      the worst. Going up Whitney, The Golden Staircase, Muir pass on the
      Helen lake side and many others. That's just my two cents and if you
      do go for it please let me see the pics.

      Good luck
      Paul

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Catra Corbett
      <catrarunner@y...> wrote:
      > Hey James-
      >

      > It's Catra.. Saw your message on the JMT list. May is not the
      best time of year on the JMT. There will be snow. I'm starting my
      PCT speed record in Mid May and I'm already freaking out about going
      through the JMT section with a lot of snow. I have been on the trail
      in the past with a lot of snow. It's hard to find your way.

      > I figure if I start my PCT journey after the hikers I will be able
      to find my way.

      > Thats all for now...
      >
      > Catra
      >

      > "james c. varner" <jvarner1313@y...> wrote:
      >
      > hello folks
      >
      > i'm new to the group and i've never been on the jmt or even close.
      > but i'm curious about the condition of the trail in the month of
      may.
      > may seems like the only time this year i'd be able to make it to
      > california but i'd really like to run this trail this year. so if
      > anyone could give me an idea of how much of the trail is still
      > covered in snow in mid may on an average year i would really
      > appreciate it.
      >
      > thanks
      > james from olympia
      > aka soccerball seagull
      > me2ga 99

      Service.

    • Snow Nymph
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 26, 2005
        May is a little early.

        Photo from Kearsarge Pass May 15, 2004.
        http://community.webshots.com/photo/143785644/144389724Sivvia
        That's Charlotte Lake in the distance, the JMT goes right by it.

        Photo from Mammoth Mountain on May 22, 2004:
        http://community.webshots.com/photo/146120037/146455502qhgcxq Duck
        Pass and the Silver Divide is out that way to the right.

        Photo of Whitney June 6, 2004 from Lone Pine Peak:
        http://community.webshots.com/photo/150543711/151587857nEtcXa This
        is the south end of the JMT.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, plockey@a... wrote:

        > I think that might be one hell of a challenge. I did the JMT last
        > summer and through my preparation used a lot of PCT material. As
        many
        > know the PCT'ers are normally the first to pass through the JMT
        each
        > year. What I found is that the unofficial rule is coming up from
        the
        > south you should not get to Kennedy Meadows before June 15, I
        think
        > that many PCT'ers even have sort of a rendezvous they call ray day
        > for Ray Jardine. That being said if all is correct with what I
        have
        > heard on the news about the heavy California snows a May attempt
        on
        > the trail, well here is a pic coming down Forester Pass,
        > http://www.paullockey.com/JMT2004/August1/photos/photo_33.html
        > Imagine it covered in a few feet of snow. This one may not even
        be
        > the worst. Going up Whitney, The Golden Staircase, Muir pass on
        the
        > Helen lake side and many others. That's just my two cents and if
        you
        > do go for it please let me see the pics.
        >
        > Good luck
        > Paul
        >

        > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Catra Corbett
        > <catrarunner@y...> wrote:
        > > Hey James-
        > >

        > > It's Catra.. Saw your message on the JMT list. May is not the
        > best time of year on the JMT. There will be snow. I'm starting
        my
        > PCT speed record in Mid May and I'm already freaking out about
        going
        > through the JMT section with a lot of snow. I have been on the
        trail
        > in the past with a lot of snow. It's hard to find your way.
        > >
        > > I figure if I start my PCT journey after the hikers I will be
        able
        > to find my way.
        > >
        > > Thats all for now...
        > >
        > > Catra
        > >

        > > "james c. varner" <jvarner1313@y...> wrote:
        > >
        > > hello folks
        > >
        > > i'm new to the group and i've never been on the jmt or even
        close.
        > > but i'm curious about the condition of the trail in the month of
        > may.
        > > may seems like the only time this year i'd be able to make it to
        > > california but i'd really like to run this trail this year. so
        if
        > > anyone could give me an idea of how much of the trail is still
        > > covered in snow in mid may on an average year i would really
        > > appreciate it.
        > >
        > > thanks
        > > james from olympia
        > > aka soccerball seagull
        > > me2ga 99

        > Service.

      • Snow Nymph
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 26, 2005
          and here's Ritter & Banner from Mammoth Mountain a year before (May
          10, 2003):
          http://community.webshots.com/photo/72845305/72848789YoQZjH

          Every year is different, but there will still be a lot of snow out
          there. We always do our long trips in Aug/Sept

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Snow Nymph" <snownymph@s...>

        • plockey@austin.rr.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 27, 2005
            Great pics Snow Nymph. Here's another that might give you pause on a
            May trip. This one is just before the Whitney Summit on August 3:
            http://www.paullockey.com/JMT2004/August3/photos/photo_20.html

            http://www.paullockey.com/JMT2004/August3/photos/photo_34.html

            These are on the trail. Can't imagine what it would be like in May.

            Paul

            wrote:

> [...]
            > > be
            > > > the worst. Going up Whitney, The Golden Staircase, Muir pass on
            > > the
            > > > Helen lake side and many others. That's just my two cents and
            if
            > > you
            > > > do go for it please let me see the pics.
            > > >
            > > > Good luck
            > > > Paul
            > > >

            > > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Catra Corbett

            > the
            > > > best time of year on the JMT. There will be snow. I'm
            starting
            > > my
            > > > PCT speed record in Mid May and I'm already freaking out about
            > > going
            > > > through the JMT section with a lot of snow. I have been on the
            > > trail
            > > > in the past with a lot of snow. It's hard to find your way.

          • thomas taylor
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 27, 2005
              Hey Plocky, SNow Nymph, Snow Dude ...,

              Those are great photo's that were posted! Makes you
              want to get out on the trail early.

              That photo looking down Forrester (looking south, I
              suppose) really looks scary - especially if you would
              imagine it snow covered. One slip and it would be
              adios amigo for sure. If anyone has anyone been on it
              when it was, please share your experience and any
              photo's of it that you have. The photographer Galen
              Rowell and party once did a winter traverse of the JMT
              on ski's (18 days if I remember correctly) but does
              not give a daily log nor mentiones any difficulities
              along the trail in the published trip report. MAybe
              after Everest and all, the JMT in winter was just a
              work-out for him.

              Thanks again for the posts.

              Thomas
              --- plockey@... wrote:

> [...]
              > > 10, 2003):

              http://community.webshots.com/photo/72845305/72848789YoQZjH

              > > Every year is different, but there will still be a
              > lot of snow out
              > > there. We always do our long trips in Aug/Sept
              > >

              > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Snow Nymph"
              > <snownymph@s...>
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > May is a little early.
              > > >
              > > > Photo from Kearsarge Pass May 15, 2004.

              http://community.webshots.com/photo/143785644/144389724Sivvia

              > > > That's Charlotte Lake in the distance, the JMT
              > goes right by it.
              > > >
              > > > Photo from Mammoth Mountain on May 22, 2004:

              http://community.webshots.com/photo/146120037/146455502qhgcxq

              > > Duck
              > > > Pass and the Silver Divide is out that way to
              > the right.
              > > >
              > > > Photo of Whitney June 6, 2004 from Lone Pine

              === message truncated ===

              =====
              Best regards,

              Thomas

              Thomas Taylor
              tgtaylor7@...
              http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
            • Snow Nymph
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 28, 2005
                We did the JMT in 30 days, 4 layovers but we dayhiked those days
                (adding 59 miles to the trip), and climbed four 14ers. We covered
                the first 100 miles in 10 days. While planning, we weren't sure what
                we could do. We allowed 30 days and could have come out early, but
                didn't want to. We stretched out the last 20 days. We were also
                ~20 days into the JMT on 9/11, climbing Split Mountain, so we didn't
                know what happened til 3 days after. Our friends resupplied us and
                brought newspapers in for us. Planning to do the JMT again in 30
                days, but will add a lot more side trips and peaks. I love being in
                the Sierra!

                More photos on our website: www.snow-nymph.com We have a "JMT" page
                with our 30 day trip.

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@y...>