Re: [John Muir Trail] the jmt in may?

  • Catra Corbett
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 23, 2005
      Hey James-

      It's Catra.. Saw your message on the JMT list. May is not the best time of year on the JMT. There will be snow. I'm starting my PCT speed record in Mid May and I'm already freaking out about going through the JMT section with a lot of snow. I have been on the trail in the past with a lot of snow. It's hard to find your way.

      I figure if I start my PCT journey after the hikers I will be able to find my way.

      Thats all for now...

      Catra

      "james c. varner" <jvarner1313@...> wrote:

      hello folks

      i'm new to the group and i've never been on the jmt or even close.
      but i'm curious about the condition of the trail in the month of may.
      may seems like the only time this year i'd be able to make it to
      california but i'd really like to run this trail this year. so if
      anyone could give me an idea of how much of the trail is still
      covered in snow in mid may on an average year i would really
      appreciate it.

      thanks
      james from olympia
      aka soccerball seagull
      me2ga 99

    • plockey@austin.rr.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 23, 2005
        I think that might be one hell of a challenge. I did the JMT last
        summer and through my preparation used a lot of PCT material. As many
        know the PCT'ers are normally the first to pass through the JMT each
        year. What I found is that the unofficial rule is coming up from the
        south you should not get to Kennedy Meadows before June 15, I think
        that many PCT'ers even have sort of a rendezvous they call ray day
        for Ray Jardine. That being said if all is correct with what I have
        heard on the news about the heavy California snows a May attempt on
        the trail, well here is a pic coming down Forester Pass,
        http://www.paullockey.com/JMT2004/August1/photos/photo_33.html
        Imagine it covered in a few feet of snow. This one may not even be
        the worst. Going up Whitney, The Golden Staircase, Muir pass on the
        Helen lake side and many others. That's just my two cents and if you
        do go for it please let me see the pics.

        Good luck
        Paul

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Catra Corbett
        <catrarunner@y...> wrote:
        > Hey James-
        >

        > It's Catra.. Saw your message on the JMT list. May is not the
        best time of year on the JMT. There will be snow. I'm starting my
        PCT speed record in Mid May and I'm already freaking out about going
        through the JMT section with a lot of snow. I have been on the trail
        in the past with a lot of snow. It's hard to find your way.

        > I figure if I start my PCT journey after the hikers I will be able
        to find my way.

        > Thats all for now...
        >
        > Catra
        >

        > "james c. varner" <jvarner1313@y...> wrote:
        >
        > hello folks
        >
        > i'm new to the group and i've never been on the jmt or even close.
        > but i'm curious about the condition of the trail in the month of
        may.
        > may seems like the only time this year i'd be able to make it to
        > california but i'd really like to run this trail this year. so if
        > anyone could give me an idea of how much of the trail is still
        > covered in snow in mid may on an average year i would really
        > appreciate it.
        >
        > thanks
        > james from olympia
        > aka soccerball seagull
        > me2ga 99

        Service.

      • Snow Nymph
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 26, 2005
          May is a little early.

          Photo from Kearsarge Pass May 15, 2004.
          http://community.webshots.com/photo/143785644/144389724Sivvia
          That's Charlotte Lake in the distance, the JMT goes right by it.

          Photo from Mammoth Mountain on May 22, 2004:
          http://community.webshots.com/photo/146120037/146455502qhgcxq Duck
          Pass and the Silver Divide is out that way to the right.

          Photo of Whitney June 6, 2004 from Lone Pine Peak:
          http://community.webshots.com/photo/150543711/151587857nEtcXa This
          is the south end of the JMT.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, plockey@a... wrote:

          > I think that might be one hell of a challenge. I did the JMT last
          > summer and through my preparation used a lot of PCT material. As
          many
          > know the PCT'ers are normally the first to pass through the JMT
          each
          > year. What I found is that the unofficial rule is coming up from
          the
          > south you should not get to Kennedy Meadows before June 15, I
          think
          > that many PCT'ers even have sort of a rendezvous they call ray day
          > for Ray Jardine. That being said if all is correct with what I
          have
          > heard on the news about the heavy California snows a May attempt
          on
          > the trail, well here is a pic coming down Forester Pass,
          > http://www.paullockey.com/JMT2004/August1/photos/photo_33.html
          > Imagine it covered in a few feet of snow. This one may not even
          be
          > the worst. Going up Whitney, The Golden Staircase, Muir pass on
          the
          > Helen lake side and many others. That's just my two cents and if
          you
          > do go for it please let me see the pics.
          >
          > Good luck
          > Paul
          >

          > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Catra Corbett
          > <catrarunner@y...> wrote:
          > > Hey James-
          > >

          > > It's Catra.. Saw your message on the JMT list. May is not the
          > best time of year on the JMT. There will be snow. I'm starting
          my
          > PCT speed record in Mid May and I'm already freaking out about
          going
          > through the JMT section with a lot of snow. I have been on the
          trail
          > in the past with a lot of snow. It's hard to find your way.
          > >
          > > I figure if I start my PCT journey after the hikers I will be
          able
          > to find my way.
          > >
          > > Thats all for now...
          > >
          > > Catra
          > >

          > > "james c. varner" <jvarner1313@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > hello folks
          > >
          > > i'm new to the group and i've never been on the jmt or even
          close.
          > > but i'm curious about the condition of the trail in the month of
          > may.
          > > may seems like the only time this year i'd be able to make it to
          > > california but i'd really like to run this trail this year. so
          if
          > > anyone could give me an idea of how much of the trail is still
          > > covered in snow in mid may on an average year i would really
          > > appreciate it.
          > >
          > > thanks
          > > james from olympia
          > > aka soccerball seagull
          > > me2ga 99

          > Service.

        • Snow Nymph
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 26, 2005
            and here's Ritter & Banner from Mammoth Mountain a year before (May
            10, 2003):
            http://community.webshots.com/photo/72845305/72848789YoQZjH

            Every year is different, but there will still be a lot of snow out
            there. We always do our long trips in Aug/Sept

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Snow Nymph" <snownymph@s...>

          • plockey@austin.rr.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 27, 2005
              Great pics Snow Nymph. Here's another that might give you pause on a
              May trip. This one is just before the Whitney Summit on August 3:
              http://www.paullockey.com/JMT2004/August3/photos/photo_20.html

              http://www.paullockey.com/JMT2004/August3/photos/photo_34.html

              These are on the trail. Can't imagine what it would be like in May.

              Paul

              wrote:

> [...]
              > > be
              > > > the worst. Going up Whitney, The Golden Staircase, Muir pass on
              > > the
              > > > Helen lake side and many others. That's just my two cents and
              if
              > > you
              > > > do go for it please let me see the pics.
              > > >
              > > > Good luck
              > > > Paul
              > > >

              > > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Catra Corbett

              > the
              > > > best time of year on the JMT. There will be snow. I'm
              starting
              > > my
              > > > PCT speed record in Mid May and I'm already freaking out about
              > > going
              > > > through the JMT section with a lot of snow. I have been on the
              > > trail
              > > > in the past with a lot of snow. It's hard to find your way.

            • thomas taylor
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 27, 2005
                Hey Plocky, SNow Nymph, Snow Dude ...,

                Those are great photo's that were posted! Makes you
                want to get out on the trail early.

                That photo looking down Forrester (looking south, I
                suppose) really looks scary - especially if you would
                imagine it snow covered. One slip and it would be
                adios amigo for sure. If anyone has anyone been on it
                when it was, please share your experience and any
                photo's of it that you have. The photographer Galen
                Rowell and party once did a winter traverse of the JMT
                on ski's (18 days if I remember correctly) but does
                not give a daily log nor mentiones any difficulities
                along the trail in the published trip report. MAybe
                after Everest and all, the JMT in winter was just a
                work-out for him.

                Thanks again for the posts.

                Thomas
                --- plockey@... wrote:

> [...]
                > > 10, 2003):

                http://community.webshots.com/photo/72845305/72848789YoQZjH

                > > Every year is different, but there will still be a
                > lot of snow out
                > > there. We always do our long trips in Aug/Sept
                > >

                > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Snow Nymph"
                > <snownymph@s...>
                > > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > May is a little early.
                > > >
                > > > Photo from Kearsarge Pass May 15, 2004.

                http://community.webshots.com/photo/143785644/144389724Sivvia

                > > > That's Charlotte Lake in the distance, the JMT
                > goes right by it.
                > > >
                > > > Photo from Mammoth Mountain on May 22, 2004:

                http://community.webshots.com/photo/146120037/146455502qhgcxq

                > > Duck
                > > > Pass and the Silver Divide is out that way to
                > the right.
                > > >
                > > > Photo of Whitney June 6, 2004 from Lone Pine

                === message truncated ===

                =====
                Best regards,

                Thomas

                Thomas Taylor
                tgtaylor7@...
                http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
              • Snow Nymph
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 28, 2005
                  We did the JMT in 30 days, 4 layovers but we dayhiked those days
                  (adding 59 miles to the trip), and climbed four 14ers. We covered
                  the first 100 miles in 10 days. While planning, we weren't sure what
                  we could do. We allowed 30 days and could have come out early, but
                  didn't want to. We stretched out the last 20 days. We were also
                  ~20 days into the JMT on 9/11, climbing Split Mountain, so we didn't
                  know what happened til 3 days after. Our friends resupplied us and
                  brought newspapers in for us. Planning to do the JMT again in 30
                  days, but will add a lot more side trips and peaks. I love being in
                  the Sierra!

                  More photos on our website: www.snow-nymph.com We have a "JMT" page
                  with our 30 day trip.

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@y...>