the jmt in may?

  • james c. varner
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 23, 2005
      hello folks

      i'm new to the group and i've never been on the jmt or even close.
      but i'm curious about the condition of the trail in the month of may.
      may seems like the only time this year i'd be able to make it to
      california but i'd really like to run this trail this year. so if
      anyone could give me an idea of how much of the trail is still
      covered in snow in mid may on an average year i would really
      appreciate it.

      thanks
      james from olympia
      aka soccerball seagull
      me2ga 99
    • Catra Corbett
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 23, 2005
        Hey James-

        It's Catra.. Saw your message on the JMT list. May is not the best time of year on the JMT. There will be snow. I'm starting my PCT speed record in Mid May and I'm already freaking out about going through the JMT section with a lot of snow. I have been on the trail in the past with a lot of snow. It's hard to find your way.

        I figure if I start my PCT journey after the hikers I will be able to find my way.

        Thats all for now...

        Catra

      • plockey@austin.rr.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 23, 2005
          I think that might be one hell of a challenge. I did the JMT last
          summer and through my preparation used a lot of PCT material. As many
          know the PCT'ers are normally the first to pass through the JMT each
          year. What I found is that the unofficial rule is coming up from the
          south you should not get to Kennedy Meadows before June 15, I think
          that many PCT'ers even have sort of a rendezvous they call ray day
          for Ray Jardine. That being said if all is correct with what I have
          heard on the news about the heavy California snows a May attempt on
          the trail, well here is a pic coming down Forester Pass,
          http://www.paullockey.com/JMT2004/August1/photos/photo_33.html
          Imagine it covered in a few feet of snow. This one may not even be
          the worst. Going up Whitney, The Golden Staircase, Muir pass on the
          Helen lake side and many others. That's just my two cents and if you
          do go for it please let me see the pics.

          Good luck
          Paul

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Catra Corbett
          <catrarunner@y...> wrote:
          > Hey James-
          >

          > It's Catra.. Saw your message on the JMT list. May is not the
          best time of year on the JMT. There will be snow. I'm starting my
          PCT speed record in Mid May and I'm already freaking out about going
          through the JMT section with a lot of snow. I have been on the trail
          in the past with a lot of snow. It's hard to find your way.

          > I figure if I start my PCT journey after the hikers I will be able
          to find my way.

          > Thats all for now...
          >
          > Catra
          >

          > "james c. varner" <jvarner1313@y...> wrote:
          >
          > hello folks
          >
          > i'm new to the group and i've never been on the jmt or even close.
          > but i'm curious about the condition of the trail in the month of
          may.
          > may seems like the only time this year i'd be able to make it to
          > california but i'd really like to run this trail this year. so if
          > anyone could give me an idea of how much of the trail is still
          > covered in snow in mid may on an average year i would really
          > appreciate it.
          >
          > thanks
          > james from olympia
          > aka soccerball seagull
          > me2ga 99

          Service.

        • Snow Nymph
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 26, 2005
            May is a little early.

            Photo from Kearsarge Pass May 15, 2004.
            http://community.webshots.com/photo/143785644/144389724Sivvia
            That's Charlotte Lake in the distance, the JMT goes right by it.

            Photo from Mammoth Mountain on May 22, 2004:
            http://community.webshots.com/photo/146120037/146455502qhgcxq Duck
            Pass and the Silver Divide is out that way to the right.

            Photo of Whitney June 6, 2004 from Lone Pine Peak:
            http://community.webshots.com/photo/150543711/151587857nEtcXa This
            is the south end of the JMT.

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, plockey@a... wrote:

            > I think that might be one hell of a challenge. I did the JMT last
            > summer and through my preparation used a lot of PCT material. As
            many
            > know the PCT'ers are normally the first to pass through the JMT
            each
            > year. What I found is that the unofficial rule is coming up from
            the
            > south you should not get to Kennedy Meadows before June 15, I
            think
            > that many PCT'ers even have sort of a rendezvous they call ray day
            > for Ray Jardine. That being said if all is correct with what I
            have
            > heard on the news about the heavy California snows a May attempt
            on
            > the trail, well here is a pic coming down Forester Pass,
            > http://www.paullockey.com/JMT2004/August1/photos/photo_33.html
            > Imagine it covered in a few feet of snow. This one may not even
            be
            > the worst. Going up Whitney, The Golden Staircase, Muir pass on
            the
            > Helen lake side and many others. That's just my two cents and if
            you
            > do go for it please let me see the pics.
            >
            > Good luck
            > Paul
            >

            > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Catra Corbett
            > <catrarunner@y...> wrote:
            > > Hey James-
            > >

            > > It's Catra.. Saw your message on the JMT list. May is not the
            > best time of year on the JMT. There will be snow. I'm starting
            my
            > PCT speed record in Mid May and I'm already freaking out about
            going
            > through the JMT section with a lot of snow. I have been on the
            trail
            > in the past with a lot of snow. It's hard to find your way.
            > >
            > > I figure if I start my PCT journey after the hikers I will be
            able
            > to find my way.
            > >
            > > Thats all for now...
            > >
            > > Catra
            > >

            > > "james c. varner" <jvarner1313@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > hello folks
            > >
            > > i'm new to the group and i've never been on the jmt or even
            close.
            > > but i'm curious about the condition of the trail in the month of
            > may.
            > > may seems like the only time this year i'd be able to make it to
            > > california but i'd really like to run this trail this year. so
            if
            > > anyone could give me an idea of how much of the trail is still
            > > covered in snow in mid may on an average year i would really
            > > appreciate it.
            > >
            > > thanks
            > > james from olympia
            > > aka soccerball seagull
            > > me2ga 99

            > Service.

          • Snow Nymph
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 26, 2005
              and here's Ritter & Banner from Mammoth Mountain a year before (May
              10, 2003):
              http://community.webshots.com/photo/72845305/72848789YoQZjH

              Every year is different, but there will still be a lot of snow out
              there. We always do our long trips in Aug/Sept

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Snow Nymph" <snownymph@s...>

            • plockey@austin.rr.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 27, 2005
                Great pics Snow Nymph. Here's another that might give you pause on a
                May trip. This one is just before the Whitney Summit on August 3:
                http://www.paullockey.com/JMT2004/August3/photos/photo_20.html

                http://www.paullockey.com/JMT2004/August3/photos/photo_34.html

                These are on the trail. Can't imagine what it would be like in May.

                Paul

                wrote:

> [...]
                > > be
                > > > the worst. Going up Whitney, The Golden Staircase, Muir pass on
                > > the
                > > > Helen lake side and many others. That's just my two cents and
                if
                > > you
                > > > do go for it please let me see the pics.
                > > >
                > > > Good luck
                > > > Paul
                > > >

                > > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Catra Corbett

                > the
                > > > best time of year on the JMT. There will be snow. I'm
                starting
                > > my
                > > > PCT speed record in Mid May and I'm already freaking out about
                > > going
                > > > through the JMT section with a lot of snow. I have been on the
                > > trail
                > > > in the past with a lot of snow. It's hard to find your way.

              • thomas taylor
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 27, 2005
                  Hey Plocky, SNow Nymph, Snow Dude ...,

                  Those are great photo's that were posted! Makes you
                  want to get out on the trail early.

                  That photo looking down Forrester (looking south, I
                  suppose) really looks scary - especially if you would
                  imagine it snow covered. One slip and it would be
                  adios amigo for sure. If anyone has anyone been on it
                  when it was, please share your experience and any
                  photo's of it that you have. The photographer Galen
                  Rowell and party once did a winter traverse of the JMT
                  on ski's (18 days if I remember correctly) but does
                  not give a daily log nor mentiones any difficulities
                  along the trail in the published trip report. MAybe
                  after Everest and all, the JMT in winter was just a
                  work-out for him.

                  Thanks again for the posts.

                  Thomas
                  --- plockey@... wrote:

> [...]
                  > > 10, 2003):

                  http://community.webshots.com/photo/72845305/72848789YoQZjH

                  > > Every year is different, but there will still be a
                  > lot of snow out
                  > > there. We always do our long trips in Aug/Sept
                  > >

                  > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Snow Nymph"
                  > <snownymph@s...>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > May is a little early.
                  > > >
                  > > > Photo from Kearsarge Pass May 15, 2004.

                  http://community.webshots.com/photo/143785644/144389724Sivvia

                  > > > That's Charlotte Lake in the distance, the JMT
                  > goes right by it.
                  > > >
                  > > > Photo from Mammoth Mountain on May 22, 2004:

                  http://community.webshots.com/photo/146120037/146455502qhgcxq

                  > > Duck
                  > > > Pass and the Silver Divide is out that way to
                  > the right.
                  > > >
                  > > > Photo of Whitney June 6, 2004 from Lone Pine

                  === message truncated ===

                  =====
                  Best regards,

                  Thomas

                  Thomas Taylor
                  tgtaylor7@...
                  http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
                • Snow Nymph
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 28, 2005
                    We did the JMT in 30 days, 4 layovers but we dayhiked those days
                    (adding 59 miles to the trip), and climbed four 14ers. We covered
                    the first 100 miles in 10 days. While planning, we weren't sure what
                    we could do. We allowed 30 days and could have come out early, but
                    didn't want to. We stretched out the last 20 days. We were also
                    ~20 days into the JMT on 9/11, climbing Split Mountain, so we didn't
                    know what happened til 3 days after. Our friends resupplied us and
                    brought newspapers in for us. Planning to do the JMT again in 30
                    days, but will add a lot more side trips and peaks. I love being in
                    the Sierra!

                    More photos on our website: www.snow-nymph.com We have a "JMT" page
                    with our 30 day trip.

                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@y...>