Permits

  • Jim Underwood
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 12, 2010
      Sorry to rehash this thread, but I have a couple of questions.
      1.  Do you have to fax after midnight?  I looked at the NPS website and it looks like you can fax after 5pm for the following day (24 weeks out).
      2.  If I really want to go out of one trailhead (LYV) and am flexible for a week on departure, can I fax with one trailhead and no alternates until I get that one?
      3.  If I do the above, will I know before the next day if I got a spot (I don't want to duplicate efforts if I don't have to)?
      4.  Will I be charged for making each request, or only if I get the permit?

      Thanks.

      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 13, 2010
        See questions below

        1,  You don't need to wait til midnight - fax at anytime after 5:01 pm - You read it right.
        2. Yes
        3 Yes
        4 No (I think)

        San Francisco, CA  94114-3707
        415-648-9279

      • jmaddog1082@charter.net
        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 24, 2010
          For those of you finding early success in obtaining your first (or second) choices with your JMT permits, would you care to share any trailhead combinations that seem to be working best with the NPS this year?

          My work schedule will limit my trip this year to a section trip only, ideally HI to RM. Reducing my/our success for an HI to RM permit will be the fact that I'll be faxing a request for 4 in our group. We're shooting for mid-August, so I'm warming up the fax machine now.

          A TM to RM trip is an option, but I'd rather start from HI. I know it's a popular option, but we're not interested in going downhill from TM to HI, then shuttle back to TM to continue the trip on to RM either.

          Thanks in advance for the suggestions,
        • Sam Rohlfs

            Message 5 of 29 , Feb 24, 2010
              I had to submit my permit application twice. The first time, I was trying for HI entry on Monday 7/26. Got NONE of my three choices.

              The second time I shot for a Tuesday 7/27 start, and got my first choice. Part of that is luck of the draw, but I also learned from the first application.

              On the first application, I had submitted Happy Isles for choices 1 and 2 starting on Monday with different first night destinations. Then for choice 3 I submitted Happy Isles again, but for Tuesday. Because it was one day early, the third choice was automatically disqualified.

              Here's my advice:

              > Try for a midweek start
              > Fax your app in exactly 24 weeks to the day of your desired entry (after 5:30pm the night before, and before 7:30am)
              > Glacier Point makes a good third choice and is less impacted than Happy Isles. You can take the shuttle from the valley up to Glacier Point. I did this back in 2008 when I couldn't get a Happy Isles permit and found it a great alternative.

              Good luck!

              Jeff Hester
            • Barbara Karagosian

                Message 7 of 29 , Feb 24, 2010
                  Glacier Point to TM to RM work for you? I have never had a problem obtaining a permit leaving from GP. carol

                • ed_rodriguez52@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 29 , Feb 24, 2010
                    Hi J, as a suggestion take Tenaya Lake trail head to Sunrise High Sierra Camp or HI to Cloud rest trail jct. Like to know for those of you that not get your 1st, 2nd or 3rd choice from HI did you guys put down your first night camp site in LYV

                    Message 9 of 29 , Feb 24, 2010
                      Hmmmm...

                      I've heard of this option before and if I read the maps right, you hike downhill (Panorama Trail, right?) from GP and connect with the JMT about 3.3 miles uphill from HI, correct? Do you know how far the route from GP to the JMT is? Elevation change?

                      If we chose this route, could we count on an early morning NPS shuttle from TM to GP's trailhead? Seems like a long tram ride, but our options will be limited since we're leaving our car in Mammoth and taking the YARTS into Yosemite.

                      Again, I appreciate you help,

                      Message 10 of 29 , Feb 24, 2010
                        Not sure what time the shuttle from Mammoth gets to Yosemite Valley, but it gets to TM at 9:00am. So maybe about 10:00?  Shuttles go from Yosemite Lodge to GP, don't know times, but check the website and give them a call.
                        Yep, it's the Panorama Trail, downhill to Illouefte Falls then a gradual up for 2 miles, then down til you get to the top of Nevada Falls. Then a mile flat to the LYV campsite.  My total off the wall guess is GP 8,000ft, and top of Nevada maybe 6,000; should be easy to check out. Lovely hike.

                        Barbara

                        ---- Carol Moses <yosemite9@yahoo. com> wrote:
                        > Glacier Point to TM to RM work for you? I have never had a problem obtaining a permit leaving from GP. carol

                      • Peter Burke
                        Message 11 of 29 , Feb 25, 2010
                          Barbara Karagosian wrote:

                          > Not sure what time the shuttle from Mammoth gets to Yosemite Valley,
                          > but it gets to TM at 9:00am.

                          10:55am and only on weekends before July 1
                        • jmaddog1082@charter.net
                          Message 12 of 29 , Mar 2, 2010
                            So far, I'm 0 for 2 on the permit thing.

                            Faxed in my request for 8/16 entry on Sunday night - ALL 3 choices denied.

                            Faxed in my request for 8/17 entry on Monday night - ALL 3 choices denied.

                            I'll try again tonight...

                            Here's my request for both attempts with a party of 4:
                            1st: HI to LYV (or beyond)
                            2nd: HI to Sunrise
                            3rd: GP to LYV (or beyond)

                            Perhaps I should just go through a packer enterprise...sorry couldn't resist

                            ---- jmaddog1082@... wrote:
                            > For those of you finding early success in obtaining your first (or second) choices with your JMT permits, would you care to share any trailhead combinations that seem to be working best with the NPS this year?
                            >
                            > My work schedule will limit my trip this year to a section trip only, ideally HI to RM. Reducing my/our success for an HI to RM permit will be the fact that I'll be faxing a request for 4 in our group. We're shooting for mid-August, so I'm warming up the fax machine now.
                            >
                            > A TM to RM trip is an option, but I'd rather start from HI. I know it's a popular option, but we're not interested in going downhill from TM to HI, then shuttle back to TM to continue the trip on to RM either.
                            >
                            > Thanks in advance for the suggestions,
                          • engelpct1981
                            Message 13 of 29 , Mar 2, 2010
                              You are probably aware of this, but they do show what dates are already filled..... http://www.yosemite.org/DSN/wwwyosemiteassociationorg/Content/Webcam/rptfulltrailheaddates.htm

                              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <jmaddog1082@...> wrote:

                              > So far, I'm 0 for 2 on the permit thing.
                              >
                              > Faxed in my request for 8/16 entry on Sunday night - ALL 3 choices denied.
                              >
                              > Faxed in my request for 8/17 entry on Monday night - ALL 3 choices denied.
                              >
                              > I'll try again tonight...
                              >
                              > Here's my request for both attempts with a party of 4:
                              > 1st: HI to LYV (or beyond)
                              > 2nd: HI to Sunrise
                              > 3rd: GP to LYV (or beyond)
                              >
                              > Perhaps I should just go through a packer enterprise...sorry couldn't resist

                              > ---- jmaddog1082@... wrote:
                              > > For those of you finding early success in obtaining your first (or second) choices with your JMT permits, would you care to share any trailhead combinations that seem to be working best with the NPS this year?
                              > >
                              > > My work schedule will limit my trip this year to a section trip only, ideally HI to RM. Reducing my/our success for an HI to RM permit will be the fact that I'll be faxing a request for 4 in our group. We're shooting for mid-August, so I'm warming up the fax machine now.
                              > >
                              > > A TM to RM trip is an option, but I'd rather start from HI. I know it's a popular option, but we're not interested in going downhill from TM to HI, then shuttle back to TM to continue the trip on to RM either.
                              > >
                              > > Thanks in advance for the suggestions,

                            • Herb
                              Message 14 of 29 , Mar 2, 2010
                                J--

                                I would think the GP to LYV would be your best bet. Last year we had a reservation for HI to LYV. When we arrived 2:00 pm the day before to pick up the permit we asked "can you get us in today?" They had plenty of walk-ins for GP, and we got started that day.

                                I actually like GP as a TH. Wonderful views of the valley and you miss the climb. Yes, its pretty hiking up from HI but that is easily done as a day trip some other time.

                                Herb
                                ---- jmaddog1082@... wrote:
                                > So far, I'm 0 for 2 on the permit thing.
                                >
                                > Faxed in my request for 8/16 entry on Sunday night - ALL 3 choices denied.
                                >
                                > Faxed in my request for 8/17 entry on Monday night - ALL 3 choices denied.
                                >
                                > I'll try again tonight...
                                >
                                > Here's my request for both attempts with a party of 4:
                                > 1st: HI to LYV (or beyond)
                                > 2nd: HI to Sunrise
                                > 3rd: GP to LYV (or beyond)
                                >
                                > Perhaps I should just go through a packer enterprise...sorry couldn't resist

                                > ---- jmaddog1082@... wrote:
                                > > For those of you finding early success in obtaining your first (or second) choices with your JMT permits, would you care to share any trailhead combinations that seem to be working best with the NPS this year?
                                > >
                                > > My work schedule will limit my trip this year to a section trip only, ideally HI to RM. Reducing my/our success for an HI to RM permit will be the fact that I'll be faxing a request for 4 in our group. We're shooting for mid-August, so I'm warming up the fax machine now.
                                > >
                                > > A TM to RM trip is an option, but I'd rather start from HI. I know it's a popular option, but we're not interested in going downhill from TM to HI, then shuttle back to TM to continue the trip on to RM either.
                                > >
                                > > Thanks in advance for the suggestions,

                              • kw_aston
                                Message 15 of 29 , Mar 3, 2010
                                  I called, didn't get my first choice but they told me what was available about that time I wanted to go, and so I am going 2 days ealier. Worked for me.

                                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "engelpct1981" <ed@...> wrote:

                                  > You are probably aware of this, but they do show what dates are already filled..... http://www.yosemite.org/DSN/wwwyosemiteassociationorg/Content/Webcam/rptfulltrailheaddates.htm
                                  >
                                  > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <jmaddog1082@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > So far, I'm 0 for 2 on the permit thing.
                                  > >
                                  > > Faxed in my request for 8/16 entry on Sunday night - ALL 3 choices denied.
                                  > >
                                  > > Faxed in my request for 8/17 entry on Monday night - ALL 3 choices denied.
                                  > >
                                  > > I'll try again tonight...
                                  > >
                                  > > Here's my request for both attempts with a party of 4:
                                  > > 1st: HI to LYV (or beyond)
                                  > > 2nd: HI to Sunrise
                                  > > 3rd: GP to LYV (or beyond)
                                  > >
                                  > > Perhaps I should just go through a packer enterprise...sorry couldn't resist

                                  > > ---- jmaddog1082@ wrote:
                                  > > > For those of you finding early success in obtaining your first (or second) choices with your JMT permits, would you care to share any trailhead combinations that seem to be working best with the NPS this year?
                                  > > >
                                  > > > My work schedule will limit my trip this year to a section trip only, ideally HI to RM. Reducing my/our success for an HI to RM permit will be the fact that I'll be faxing a request for 4 in our group. We're shooting for mid-August, so I'm warming up the fax machine now.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > A TM to RM trip is an option, but I'd rather start from HI. I know it's a popular option, but we're not interested in going downhill from TM to HI, then shuttle back to TM to continue the trip on to RM either.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Thanks in advance for the suggestions,

                                • lilkeeney
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jul 23, 2010
                                    Greetings-

                                    Thanks for all the great advice as I have been silently listening. I hit the trail in 4 weeks and getting ready.

                                    I have a two person permit from Yosemite Valley to Whitney. If my friends wants to bail out at Tuolumne Meadows is that okay? If they get stopped by a ranger between the trail head and the trail junction with JMT they won't have a permit as I will have it. Will this be okay? I assume they might ask them to leave which they would be doing anyways, but I wouldn't want them to get a fine. I could always join my friend to the trailhead if need be and time allows.

                                    Secondly the same friend will likely join me at the end by joining me at Kearasage pass and then climbing Whitney and out to the portal.

                                    Is this legal and/or ethical? Can/should I make a copy of my permit?

                                    Thanks,
                                    Jeff

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jul 23, 2010
                                        I've always written the permit info on the back of the map I carry, so
                                        if a Ranger quizzes me, I can pull it out and give the full permit info
                                        to them. I also tell them if our leader is ahead or behind me on the
                                        trail. This has always worked so far....

                                        I think they're amused that I'm ready for their question about a permit. ;-)

                                        Ernie
                                      • swm_bikrun
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jun 3, 2013
                                          Hi guys. New to this site and never have done the John Muir trail before.
                                          Want to solo from Yosemite to Whitney starting in July of 2014. What permits do I need? Thank you
                                          Ken
                                          Bakersfield, CA.

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jun 3, 2013
                                              Thank you :)

                                              Ken
                                            • jackson runsalot
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jan 28, 2016
                                                I read the FAQ (more than once) and it seems ridiculously difficult to get a permit.  I was planning solo, thru-fish, don't care if its NOBO or SOBO, or what TH.  I just want to be free from rules, permits, cell phones, e-mail, and conference calls for a couple of weeks!

                                                SOBO is some kind of "send me a fax every day event", not going to happen more than once.  NOBO it looks like you have a fighting chance with a single lottery application, but it's unclear to me if getting a "Whitney Trail Overnight" is actually good for the entire JMT.

                                                Suggestions? -- other trails?  South Tahoe Northbound or circumnavigate Tahoe looks promising as well.

                                                Thanks

                                              • Barbara Karagosian

                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Sep 7, 2016
                                                    Ok  I am working on my permit application (even though it can not be turned in until late Feb)

                                                      I have an Entry point of Happy Isles>Sunrise/Merced Lake Pass through (no camping)    then 1st night camping at Clouds Rest.

                                                    Exit Point of Whitney Portal 21 days later.

                                                    Are these correct?

                                                    I am also listing a 2nd and 3rd choice of days Using the same exact entry and exit points each being a day later that the previous       ex  Aug 1st, Aug 2nd and Aug 3rd.

                                                    Does anyone know if i need to fax the application the correct number of application days from the entry date or if that initial application will be reevaluated each day?

                                                    Thanks

                                                    Dennis
                                                  • charliepolecat
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Sep 7, 2016
                                                      First: Good luck if you get the days entry into HI that you want, they were like gold dust this year.

                                                      Second: You'll need an application for every day. The unsuccessful faxes are scrapped each day.

                                                      Third: If the permit you are asking for is going to be: " Happy Isles>Sunrise/Merced Lake Pass through (no camping) then 1st night camping at Clouds Rest." Do you plan to backtrack to camp at Clouds Rest?

                                                      Fourth: Have alternative entry points ready so you don't miss out on the entire season.

                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Sep 7, 2016
                                                          Be aware that the permit process may change next season and it'll probably be online. Wenk said they didn't have it ready yet so they didn't implement it this year.

                                                          Kim

                                                          ------------------------------ -------------------
                                                          _

                                                          On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 9:23 AM, Dennis Ahl queticoahl@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com > wrote:

                                                          Ok  I am working on my permit application (even though it can not be turned in until late Feb)

                                                            I have an Entry point of Happy Isles>Sunrise/Merced Lake Pass through (no camping)    then 1st night camping at Clouds Rest.

                                                          Exit Point of Whitney Portal 21 days later.

                                                          Are these correct?

                                                          I am also listing a 2nd and 3rd choice of days Using the same exact entry and exit points each being a day later that the previous       ex  Aug 1st, Aug 2nd and Aug 3rd.

                                                          Does anyone know if i need to fax the application the correct number of application days from the entry date or if that initial application will be reevaluated each day?

                                                          Thanks

                                                          Dennis

                                                        • Joseph Junk

                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Sep 8, 2016
                                                              Good morning! I applied this last year with one single application. The three options were all the same other than the dates. Those being one right after another. I called the ranger station to ask this exact question. I ended up getting my 3rd pick but I only faxed it once for the day of my first pick. The kept my app and put it in for the next days lottery.