Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: upcoming summer trip

  • thomas taylor
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 19, 2005
      Hey Doug,

      If you can, consider doing it N to S starting mid
      June. With snow on all the high peaks (and passes)
      you'll be surrounded by truly spectacular scenery all
      the way. And NO mosquitoes!

      As an added bonus, the only folks you'll run in to on
      the trail will be the best - the PCT coming from the
      south AND you'll have your pick of the best camping
      sites.

      There will be snow in the passes, of course, but
      nothing that you won't be able to handle WITHOUT an
      axe: There will be plenty of snow on Silver for
      example but it's just an exercise in route finding
      (the PCT tracks disappear into snow cones). I haven't
      been over Forrester yet but from my own personal
      experience and feed-back from the PCT, Mather will be
      the most difficult. But the N to S direction is the
      easiest/safest as you'll be heading up its steepest
      section. Do it in the afternoon when the snow is soft
      so if you do slip (as I once did!) you can self-arrest
      without an axe.

      But whether its June or August or September, It will
      be a great hike - one that you wil never forget
      regardless of the hikes that follow.

      Thomas
      --- Pukkmann@... wrote:

      > What a fantastic reply!!!!....it really made my
      > day!!!...the trip is a
      > go!!!...thanks, Doug

      > removed]

      =====