Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: upcoming summer trip

  • Pukkmann@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 19, 2005
      What a fantastic reply!!!!....it really made my day!!!...the trip is a
      go!!!...thanks, Doug

    • thomas taylor
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 19, 2005
        Hey Doug,

        If you can, consider doing it N to S starting mid
        June. With snow on all the high peaks (and passes)
        you'll be surrounded by truly spectacular scenery all
        the way. And NO mosquitoes!

        As an added bonus, the only folks you'll run in to on
        the trail will be the best - the PCT coming from the
        south AND you'll have your pick of the best camping
        sites.

        There will be snow in the passes, of course, but
        nothing that you won't be able to handle WITHOUT an
        axe: There will be plenty of snow on Silver for
        example but it's just an exercise in route finding
        (the PCT tracks disappear into snow cones). I haven't
        been over Forrester yet but from my own personal
        experience and feed-back from the PCT, Mather will be
        the most difficult. But the N to S direction is the
        easiest/safest as you'll be heading up its steepest
        section. Do it in the afternoon when the snow is soft
        so if you do slip (as I once did!) you can self-arrest
        without an axe.

        But whether its June or August or September, It will
        be a great hike - one that you wil never forget
        regardless of the hikes that follow.

        Thomas
        --- Pukkmann@... wrote:

        > What a fantastic reply!!!!....it really made my
        > day!!!...the trip is a
        > go!!!...thanks, Doug

        > removed]

        =====