Re: upcoming summer trip

  • dive_hike
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 18, 2005
      "D", You should be OK in August unless we get a lot more snow. And
      the passes won't slow you down unless you have to wait for the snow
      to get soft later in the day (if there is snow). If the snow keeps
      falling, Forester Pass will be the worst and that is an advantage to
      starting in Yosemite; it gives you some extra time for the snow to
      melt.

      Personally I like hiking in early September. There are fewer people
      and fewer mosquitos! I wouldn't worry about an early storm.

      If you want to check the snow pack, here is a site I've been using
      for years:
      http://cdec.water.ca.gov/selectQuery.html

      For station ID, enter: UTY (this is Upper Tyndall creek, just south
      of Forester)

      Leave sensor blank, enter a start date (like 1/10/2005) and "now" for
      end date.

      Click on the last item, Snow Water Content (revised)

      From my experience, all of the passes are clear about 30 to 45 days
      after this sensor reads 0.0. Right now this sensor is reading 23.1
      inches of water content. Last year, the sensor hit zero on June 1st
      and the passes were mostly clear in early July.

      If the snow continues, then you might consider going late in the
      season. I'd wait until April to decide on your dates (if you can).
      You should have a pretty good handle on the snow pack by then.

      I hiked the JMT (North to South) in the last big snow year ('98).
      The above sensor hit zero on July 20th and the passes were mostly
      clear by early September.

      Best of luck and enjoy the hike!

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "D" <Pukkmann@a...> wrote:

      > Need some advise here....with the heavy snow already, does anyone
      > know if the passes...Forester, Mather, Pichot, Glenn, Seldon,
      > Muir, ....will be so deep with snowpack that we need snow axs and
      > special footwear? We have never had experience with this and it is
      > starting to go through my mind. I was going to go from South to
      > North....Aug 12th----28th....If we moved it up a week, would we be
      > OK?.....OR, if we waited till Labor Day to start it, would we hit
      > snow storms in the first two weeks in Sept.???.....Also, someone
      told
      > me that the days we do the passes, we will only be able to do 4
      > miles that day???.....And , the last question....anyone prefer the
      > So. to No. way over the more traditional way???....Thanks, for all
      > the help...Doug, in Los Angeles
    • hmdsierra
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 19, 2005
        My then 10 year old son and I did JMT in the heavy snow year of 1982.
        We went N-S starting Aug 1 and exiting at Whitney Portal on Aug 25.
        We had snow on every pass except Island Pass. There was never enough
        to cause us any problems. Muir Pass had snow on the north side so we
        just went up the middle. Forester Pass had the most and we took a
        slight detour to get to the pass. Other than those two we were able
        to follow the trail when going over the passes. Stream crossings were
        a bit more difficult but we could usually find a safe and easy way
        across by looking a ways above or below the trail crossing. Three of
        the last 4 days were rainy except the last day when the clouds cleared
        and we strolled out. Our last night was a bit damp, wet actually, but
        we lived to tell the tale. Other than that stretch we only had a 2 or
        3 days of rain but not enough to delay us.

        We had the time of our lives and you will too.