Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: car shuttle

  • thomas taylor
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 6, 2005
      Dave,

      You wont have any difficulty hitching from WP to YV.
      As long as it is daylight, rides will be pleantiful
      plus you'll get a chance to meet some of the locals.
      I once hitched from Piute back to M Lakes with a local
      and we stopped at his favorite watering hole in
      Bishop- a tavern/bar across from what is now Galen
      Rowell's Mountain Light studio, had supper and a
      couple of beers (O'Doul for me since I was dehydrated
      and had to drive back to the bay area).

      Thomas
      --- Dave <idahomtman@...> wrote:

      > I would like a car shuttle from Yosemite to Whitney
      > Portal, but I
      > need my vehicle at WP by the end of July. Isn't
      > there someone or a
      > business that shuttles cars. I have arranged
      > shuttles while rafting
      > for years, certainly there is someone out there that
      > offers this
      > service.
      >
      > I was planning on taking the bus back to YV or Reno
      > but after
      > reading about the difficulties involved coordinating
      > schedules, I am
      > not too excited about it. Too bad Greyhound no
      > longer runs their
      > eastern Sierra routes like back in the "old days."
      >
      > Dave
      >
      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Bob"
      > <rrichey@c...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi. I'm planning on thru hiking the JMT north to
      > south starting
      > > late July or early August, and am interested in
      > arranging a car
      > > shuttle from Whitney Portal to Yosemite. My plan
      > is to take 17
      > days
      > > or so including 1/2 day layover at VVR. I section
      > hiked the JMT
      > 00-
      > > 02 and did the HST in 03 so have a pretty good
      > idea on how long it
      > > would take me. I'm flexible on hiking with others
      > in a loose
      > > confederation, but don't want to share gear. -
      > BobR

      =====
      Best regards,

      Thomas

      Thomas Taylor
      tgtaylor7@...
      http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
    • plockey@austin.rr.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 6, 2005
        If the hitchhiking doesn't work consider the bus

        Yosemite Valley to Lee Vining
        http://www.yarts.com/schedule/2004/SUMMER04-120ESCHEDULE.pdf

        Lee Vinning to Bishop
        http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/CRESTpage.htm

        Bishop to Lone Pine
        http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/CRESTpage.htm

        Might have to re tailor the route, here are the main links
        http://www.yarts.com/
        http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/route,%20schedule%20&%20fares.htm

        Paul
      • Dave
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 6, 2005
          Thanks Paul. Those URLs are helpful. I have already considering
          structuring the trip so I end in time to catch the bus north.

          Dave

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, plockey@a... wrote:

          > If the hitchhiking doesn't work consider the bus
          >
          > Yosemite Valley to Lee Vining
          > http://www.yarts.com/schedule/2004/SUMMER04-120ESCHEDULE.pdf
          >
          > Lee Vinning to Bishop
          > http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/CRESTpage.htm
          >
          > Bishop to Lone Pine
          > http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/CRESTpage.htm
          >
          > Might have to re tailor the route, here are the main links
          > http://www.yarts.com/
          > http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/route,%20schedule%20&%
          20fares.htm

          > Paul
        • catrarunner
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 6, 2005
            --
            You can do what I did and turn around and go back. Do a Yo- Yo.
            Just kidding.

            Gotta run,
            Catra Corbett

            - In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@y...>

          • Bob
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 17, 2005
              So do you have a trip journal somewhere? I understand you set some
              sort of record. Where and how did you resupply? - BobR

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "catrarunner"
              <catrarunner@y...> wrote:

              > --
              > You can do what I did and turn around and go back. Do a Yo- Yo.
              > Just kidding.
              > I know people who finished and made it back to Yosemite, just by
              > asking for a ride. There are usually climbers heading back to
              > Yosemite Valley from there so just ask around.
              >
              > Gotta run,
              > Catra Corbett
              >
              > - In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@y...>
              > wrote:
              > > Dave,
              > >
              > > You wont have any difficulty hitching from WP to YV.
              > > As long as it is daylight, rides will be pleantiful
              > > plus you'll get a chance to meet some of the locals.
              > > I once hitched from Piute back to M Lakes with a local
              > > and we stopped at his favorite watering hole in
              > > Bishop- a tavern/bar across from what is now Galen
              > > Rowell's Mountain Light studio, had supper and a
              > > couple of beers (O'Doul for me since I was dehydrated
              > > and had to drive back to the bay area).
              > >
              > > Thomas
              > > --- Dave <idahomtman@b...> wrote:
              > >

              > > > I would like a car shuttle from Yosemite to Whitney
              > > > Portal, but I
              > > > need my vehicle at WP by the end of July. Isn't
              > > > there someone or a
              > > > business that shuttles cars. I have arranged
              > > > shuttles while rafting
              > > > for years, certainly there is someone out there that
              > > > offers this
              > > > service.
              > > >
              > > > I was planning on taking the bus back to YV or Reno
              > > > but after
              > > > reading about the difficulties involved coordinating
              > > > schedules, I am
              > > > not too excited about it. Too bad Greyhound no
              > > > longer runs their
              > > > eastern Sierra routes like back in the "old days."
              > > >
              > > > Dave
              > > >
              > > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Bob"

              > > > south starting
              > > > arranging a car
              > > > is to take 17
              > > > days
              > > > hiked the JMT
              > > > 00-
              > > > idea on how long it
              > > > in a loose
              > > > BobR
              > > >

              > > =====
              > > Best regards,
              > >
              > > Thomas
              > >
              > > Thomas Taylor
              > > tgtaylor7@y...
              > > http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
            • Catra Corbett
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 17, 2005
                Hi Bob-

                I hold the record for the fastest woman's record in 5 days 15 hours. I also hold the record for a Yo Yo 12 days 4 hours.

                I had two supply drops. One at Muir Ranch the other I had to run in a few weeks prior, I had that one at Woods creek crossing.

                I use to have a web site with my X. I'm going to work on building a site in the next few months.

                Cheers,

                Catra