Re: car shuttle

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 5, 2005
      I would like a car shuttle from Yosemite to Whitney Portal, but I
      need my vehicle at WP by the end of July. Isn't there someone or a
      business that shuttles cars. I have arranged shuttles while rafting
      for years, certainly there is someone out there that offers this
      service.

      I was planning on taking the bus back to YV or Reno but after
      reading about the difficulties involved coordinating schedules, I am
      not too excited about it. Too bad Greyhound no longer runs their
      eastern Sierra routes like back in the "old days."

      Dave

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <rrichey@c...> wrote:

      > Hi. I'm planning on thru hiking the JMT north to south starting
      > late July or early August, and am interested in arranging a car
      > shuttle from Whitney Portal to Yosemite. My plan is to take 17
      days
      > or so including 1/2 day layover at VVR. I section hiked the JMT
      00-
      > 02 and did the HST in 03 so have a pretty good idea on how long it
      > would take me. I'm flexible on hiking with others in a loose
      > confederation, but don't want to share gear. - BobR
    • thomas taylor
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 6, 2005
        Dave,

        You wont have any difficulty hitching from WP to YV.
        As long as it is daylight, rides will be pleantiful
        plus you'll get a chance to meet some of the locals.
        I once hitched from Piute back to M Lakes with a local
        and we stopped at his favorite watering hole in
        Bishop- a tavern/bar across from what is now Galen
        Rowell's Mountain Light studio, had supper and a
        couple of beers (O'Doul for me since I was dehydrated
        and had to drive back to the bay area).

        Thomas
        --- Dave <idahomtman@...> wrote:

        > I would like a car shuttle from Yosemite to Whitney
        > Portal, but I
        > need my vehicle at WP by the end of July. Isn't
        > there someone or a
        > business that shuttles cars. I have arranged
        > shuttles while rafting
        > for years, certainly there is someone out there that
        > offers this
        > service.
        >
        > I was planning on taking the bus back to YV or Reno
        > but after
        > reading about the difficulties involved coordinating
        > schedules, I am
        > not too excited about it. Too bad Greyhound no
        > longer runs their
        > eastern Sierra routes like back in the "old days."
        >
        > Dave
        >
        > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Bob"
        > <rrichey@c...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi. I'm planning on thru hiking the JMT north to
        > south starting
        > > late July or early August, and am interested in
        > arranging a car
        > > shuttle from Whitney Portal to Yosemite. My plan
        > is to take 17
        > days
        > > or so including 1/2 day layover at VVR. I section
        > hiked the JMT
        > 00-
        > > 02 and did the HST in 03 so have a pretty good
        > idea on how long it
        > > would take me. I'm flexible on hiking with others
        > in a loose
        > > confederation, but don't want to share gear. -
        > BobR

        =====
        Best regards,

        Thomas

        Thomas Taylor
        tgtaylor7@...
        http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
      • plockey@austin.rr.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 6, 2005
          If the hitchhiking doesn't work consider the bus

          Yosemite Valley to Lee Vining
          http://www.yarts.com/schedule/2004/SUMMER04-120ESCHEDULE.pdf

          Lee Vinning to Bishop
          http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/CRESTpage.htm

          Bishop to Lone Pine
          http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/CRESTpage.htm

          Might have to re tailor the route, here are the main links
          http://www.yarts.com/
          http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/route,%20schedule%20&%20fares.htm

          Paul
        • Dave
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 6, 2005
            Thanks Paul. Those URLs are helpful. I have already considering
            structuring the trip so I end in time to catch the bus north.

            Dave

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, plockey@a... wrote:

            > If the hitchhiking doesn't work consider the bus
            >
            > Yosemite Valley to Lee Vining
            > http://www.yarts.com/schedule/2004/SUMMER04-120ESCHEDULE.pdf
            >
            > Lee Vinning to Bishop
            > http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/CRESTpage.htm
            >
            > Bishop to Lone Pine
            > http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/CRESTpage.htm
            >
            > Might have to re tailor the route, here are the main links
            > http://www.yarts.com/
            > http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/route,%20schedule%20&%
            20fares.htm

            > Paul
          • catrarunner
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 6, 2005
              You can do what I did and turn around and go back. Do a Yo- Yo.
              Just kidding.
              I know people who finished and made it back to Yosemite, just by
              asking for a ride. There are usually climbers heading back to
              Yosemite Valley from there so just ask around.

              Gotta run,
              Catra Corbett

              - In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@y...>

            • Bob
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 17, 2005
                So do you have a trip journal somewhere? I understand you set some
                sort of record. Where and how did you resupply? - BobR

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "catrarunner"
                <catrarunner@y...> wrote:

                > --
                > You can do what I did and turn around and go back. Do a Yo- Yo.
                > Just kidding.
                > I know people who finished and made it back to Yosemite, just by
                > asking for a ride. There are usually climbers heading back to
                > Yosemite Valley from there so just ask around.
                >
                > Gotta run,
                > Catra Corbett
                >
                > - In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@y...>
                > wrote:
                > > Dave,
                > >
                > > You wont have any difficulty hitching from WP to YV.
                > > As long as it is daylight, rides will be pleantiful
                > > plus you'll get a chance to meet some of the locals.
                > > I once hitched from Piute back to M Lakes with a local
                > > and we stopped at his favorite watering hole in
                > > Bishop- a tavern/bar across from what is now Galen
                > > Rowell's Mountain Light studio, had supper and a
                > > couple of beers (O'Doul for me since I was dehydrated
                > > and had to drive back to the bay area).
                > >
                > > Thomas
                > > --- Dave <idahomtman@b...> wrote:
                > >

                > > > I would like a car shuttle from Yosemite to Whitney
                > > > Portal, but I
                > > > need my vehicle at WP by the end of July. Isn't
                > > > there someone or a
                > > > business that shuttles cars. I have arranged
                > > > shuttles while rafting
                > > > for years, certainly there is someone out there that
                > > > offers this
                > > > service.
                > > >
                > > > I was planning on taking the bus back to YV or Reno
                > > > but after
                > > > reading about the difficulties involved coordinating
                > > > schedules, I am
                > > > not too excited about it. Too bad Greyhound no
                > > > longer runs their
                > > > eastern Sierra routes like back in the "old days."
                > > >
                > > > Dave
                > > >
                > > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Bob"

                > > > south starting
                > > > arranging a car
                > > > is to take 17
                > > > days
                > > > hiked the JMT
                > > > 00-
                > > > idea on how long it
                > > > in a loose
                > > > BobR
                > > >

                > > =====
                > > Best regards,
                > >
                > > Thomas
                > >
                > > Thomas Taylor
                > > tgtaylor7@y...
                > > http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
              • Catra Corbett
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 17, 2005
                  Hi Bob-

                  I hold the record for the fastest woman's record in 5 days 15 hours. I also hold the record for a Yo Yo 12 days 4 hours.

                  I had two supply drops. One at Muir Ranch the other I had to run in a few weeks prior, I had that one at Woods creek crossing.

                  I use to have a web site with my X. I'm going to work on building a site in the next few months.

                  Cheers,

                  Catra