Seeking Bearikade Weekender -- borrow or buy

  • judithsmcguire
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 2 6:30 AM
      Hello,

      Anyone out there willing to lend/sell their excellent condition
      Bearikade weekender? If willing to lend, I'll pay shipping to and fro.

      Judo
    • Peter Burke
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 2 7:28 AM
        judithsmcguire wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > Anyone out there willing to lend/sell their excellent condition
        > Bearikade weekender? If willing to lend, I'll pay shipping to and fro.
        >
        > Judo

        you can rent them from the manufacturer - flat fee for JMT - something
        like $55 for the big one, probably $50 for the weekender 1-805-693-0550
      • First L
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 2 8:42 AM
          Is it that expensive to rent? You can buy the Bear Vault for $80. 700 cu. in. at 2# 9 oz. The Bearikade is 900 cu. in. at 2# 5 oz, but $275? That's 30-cents per cu. in. compared to 11-cents for the heavier can.

          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 2 8:49 AM
            First L wrote:

            > Is it that expensive to rent? You can buy the Bear Vault for $80. 700
            > cu. in. at 2# 9 oz. The Bearikade is 900 cu. in. at 2# 5 oz, but $275?
            > That's 30-cents per cu. in. compared to 11-cents for the heavier can.

            the bearvault sucks - I got one you can buy from me.

            I have three Bearikades, and I think I want to be buried in mine!
          • Maxim
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 2 10:31 AM
              I use Wild-Ideas rental program, working good:
              https://id215.chi.us.securedata.net/~wild-ideas/rent.html

            • ed_rodriguez52@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 2 10:36 AM
                Don't forget to add the shipping cost

                From: "Maxim" <mvkazit@...>
                Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 18:31:48 -0000
                To: <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>
                Subject: [John Muir Trail] Re: Seeking Bearikade Weekender -- borrow or buy

                I use Wild-Ideas rental program, working good:
                https://id215. chi.us.securedat a.net/~wild- ideas/rent. html

                --- In johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com, "judithsmcguire" <judithsmcguire@ ...> wrote:

                > Hello,
                >
                > Anyone out there willing to lend/sell their excellent condition
                > Bearikade weekender? If willing to lend, I'll pay shipping to and fro.
                >
                > Judo

              • robert shattuck
                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 2 10:46 AM
                  Judo,

                  Do you have to have a bearikade weekender? would you settle for a Garcia? Where are you . . . and mostly, are you planning on using it for the JMT?

                  If you don't want to plunk down the bucks to buy one ( you can get a Garcia for about $60)  for the JMT, you can rent them at most yosemite ranger stations, for about $7.00 (seven dollars) for your entire trip. Just bring it back in or mail it.

                  bob

                  sparklefart.blogspot.com

                  To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 2 11:12 AM
                    Would you care to tell us why you think the bearvault sucks? Thanks

                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 2 11:23 AM
                      Lots of people have a hard time opening them up. I own 1 and found a way that was easy for me. I lay the bear vault down sit over it. With my thumbs I use my upper body to move the tabs

                      From: bgomoll@...
                      Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 14:12:44 -0500
                      To: <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>

                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 2 11:26 AM
                        bgomoll@... wrote:

                        > Would you care to tell us why you think the bearvault sucks? Thanks

                        can one search the archives of this list? I know I've posted this many
                        times. In short:

                        I find my '08 vintage Bearvault 500 near impossible to open when cold. I
                        consider myself to be well educated in physics and understand leverage
                        and other concepts that may be useful when it comes to opening an
                        oversized child/bearproof pill bottle like this canister. However,
                        depressing that lid to get it past the catch is something I barely can
                        do at home (I am 6'2" 180 lbs), and certainly would not want to do on a
                        daily basis in the mountains, when it gets so cold that the plastic
                        won't even flex as far as it does in my 70 degree living room. My kids
                        have never been able to open it. That is the main issue I have with it.

                        Other reasons, but not enough to run out and buy a Bearikade: smaller,
                        heavier, narrower lid.

                        Message 11 of 21 , Feb 2 12:14 PM
                          I have found that to easily open the bear vault you can place something like a credit card/license or knife blade (or something similar) in between the tab and the outer rim..then tab then simply slides past....if this makes sense.

                          From: bgomoll@aol. com
                          Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 14:12:44 -0500
                          To: <johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com>

                          Message 12 of 21 , Feb 2 12:16 PM
                            Good thing you have something else then

                            > Would you care to tell us why you think the bearvault sucks? Thanks

                            can one search the archives of this list? I know I've posted this many
                            times. In short:

                            I find my '08 vintage Bearvault 500 near impossible to open when cold. I
                            consider myself to be well educated in physics and understand leverage
                            and other concepts that may be useful when it comes to opening an
                            oversized child/bearproof pill bottle like this canister. However,
                            depressing that lid to get it past the catch is something I barely can
                            do at home (I am 6'2" 180 lbs), and certainly would not want to do on a
                            daily basis in the mountains, when it gets so cold that the plastic
                            won't even flex as far as it does in my 70 degree living room. My kids
                            have never been able to open it. That is the main issue I have with it.

                            Other reasons, but not enough to run out and buy a Bearikade: smaller,
                            heavier, narrower lid.

                            <*> Your email settings:
                            Individual Email | Traditional

                            <*> To change settings online go to:
                            (Yahoo! ID required)

                            <*> To change settings via email:
                            johnmuirtrail-digest@yahoogroups.com
                            johnmuirtrail-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                            Good
                          • Peter Burke
                            Message 13 of 21 , Feb 2 12:32 PM
                              bgomoll@... wrote:

                              > I have found that to easily open the bear vault you can place
                              > something like a credit card/license or knife blade (or something
                              > similar) in between the tab and the outer rim..then tab then simply
                              > slides past....if this makes sense.

                              I know what you mean - don't think I'd get anything between that lid and
                              the locking tabs than a knife. I haven't touched the thing since I
                              bought the other Bearikades, so my recollection of the whole mechanism
                              is down to "push really hard while trying to turn"
                            • bgomoll@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 21 , Feb 2 12:50 PM
                                I am impressed if that is the way you open it...I surely do not have the strength to do it that way so I had to find a work around.

                                Thanks!

                                Message 15 of 21 , Feb 2 1:03 PM
                                  bgomoll@... wrote:

                                  > I am impressed if that is the way you open it...I surely do not have
                                  > the strength to do it that way so I had to find a work around.
                                  >
                                  > Thanks!

                                  why do I feel like a big dumb bear right now? :-)

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Feb 2 1:03 PM
                                    Not sure which way you are going but if you get a bear vault 500 practice opening it up in what ever way that work best for you

                                    From: bgomoll@...
                                    Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 15:50:36 -0500
                                    To: <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Feb 2 1:06 PM
                                      Lol no Peter a big "smart" bear

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Feb 2 1:07 PM
                                        Ha..not sure. But you shouldn't..even the REI staff couldn't open it.

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Feb 2 3:21 PM
                                          On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 11:26 AM, Peter Burke <pburke@...> wrote:

                                          can one search the archives of this list?

                                          If you want to try the Yahoo advanced search function use this link

                                          But if that does not work (it often won't), you can go to Google and enter this in the search box:

                                          site:yahoo.com inurl:johnmuirtrail what-I'm looking-for

                                          I.e., if you enter

                                          site:yahoo.com inurl:johnmuirtrail bearvault

                                          and you get 35 "hits" of our postings on the bearvault

                                          You can also use this to search for a particular author

                                          site:yahoo.com inurl:johnmuirtrail "roleigh Martin"

                                          gets 198 hits

                                          Or a particular author on a particular topic

                                          site:yahoo.com inurl:johnmuirtrail "roleigh Martin" bearvault

                                          gets 8 hits

                                          It's not perfect - sometimes you get a "hit" where one message of a Yahoo-generated message group will be something from Roleigh and another message on the same group will be by someone else about the bearvault.

                                          I use this sometimes when I can remember writing about something and want to retrieve it

                                          John Ladd
                                        • judithsmcguire
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Feb 2 3:23 PM
                                            Thanks all. I know the Bearikade makers rent them at a special price for JMT. I want the Bearikade because of the weight and closing mechanism. I've been offered a Garcia loaner but didn't want to carry the extra pound for 225 miles. Call me picky. I just thought I'd ask to see if anyone would lend one out or sell one used before I plonked down the money for a rental. I also wanted to have it early to try out different packing methods.

                                            Judo

                                          • ed_rodriguez52@yahoo.com
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Feb 2 3:42 PM
                                              Say Judo, keep in mind that they ship it to you 2 days before you depart for your trip(the date YOU tell them). So not how much time you are going to need to figure out what packed method is going to use.

                                              From: "judithsmcguire" <judithsmcguire@...>
                                              Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 23:23:23 -0000
                                              To: <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>