instep crampons

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 5, 2005
      With the recent storms, I am beginning to think that maybe a set of
      instep crampons might be useful for lingering spring snow on the
      high passes. Anyone have any experience with these? Would they work
      on trail running shoes?
    • plockey@austin.rr.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 5, 2005
        Dave
        I doubt that you will need crampons. I did the trail this past July
        and probably ran into snow less than a dozen times for maybe 50ft
        each time.

        Paul

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <idahomtman@b...> wrote:

        > With the recent storms, I am beginning to think that maybe a set of
        > instep crampons might be useful for lingering spring snow on the
        > high passes. Anyone have any experience with these? Would they work
        > on trail running shoes?
      • thomas taylor
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 6, 2005
          I agree with Paul that you probably wont need
          crampons. However, how much snow you run into depends
          on the time of the year and the seasons snow amount
          that remains. I hiked from Reds Mdws to Piute Pass in
          June and ran into a lot of snow on Silver Pass but
          crossed it in the afternoon when the snow was soft.
          Muir Pass will give you the most problems but crossing
          it from the north is easier and safer than the
          opposite direction as youo'll be heading up its
          steepest part rather than down as the PCT hikers.

          This is shaping up to be a big snow year which, if we
          don't get an early melt, will result in a lot of snow
          remaining in the passes. For me, that's the best time
          to be on the trail because the snow really makes the
          place look spectacular.

          Insteps are not intended for running shoes light but
          are light and pack small. Try a pair on your shoes
          before buying.

          Happy trails,

          Thomas
          --- plockey@... wrote:

          > Dave
          > I doubt that you will need crampons. I did the trail
          > this past July
          > and probably ran into snow less than a dozen times
          > for maybe 50ft
          > each time.
          >
          > Paul
          >

          > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Dave"
          > <idahomtman@b...> wrote:
          > >
          > > With the recent storms, I am beginning to think
          > that maybe a set of
          > > instep crampons might be useful for lingering
          > spring snow on the
          > > high passes. Anyone have any experience with
          > these? Would they work
          > > on trail running shoes?

          =====
          Best regards,

          Thomas

          Thomas Taylor
          tgtaylor7@...
          http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
        • Barbara Karagosian
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 21, 2010

            Hi – I have a pair of Camp 6 Punte Light crampons – I bought them for an April hike to the bottom of the Grand Canyon , when the upper trail was snowy – but never needed or used them.  Anyone know them and have an opinion?  Thanks, Barbara

          • robert shattuck
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 21, 2010
              Barbara,

              THose are some knarly half-crampons, that look like they'll take care of anything the Muir might have to offer––it's not like you need full on crampons––you won't be doing any ice climbing, where you would need a full, rigid set-up.

              THe only disadvantage to them would be storage . . . but you're not hitting the trail until when . . . I doubt there will be anything where you will really need crampons, as most of the trail will be pretty slogged through and you'll only have to follow the tracks.

              The first time I did it in june or july of '96, there was lots of snow, but other than doing a lot of post-holing and sniffing out the trail, I didn't need crampons and snow shoes would have been a hassle, on and off, on and off . . .

              THere was a good bit of snow on Forester in what, Aug of 07, 08? . . . but again, nothing that was not doable in boots.

              Probably the trickiest part of the JMT, where some sort of crampon could make the difference between finishing and having a good injury would be the cables on the east side of whitney.

              if that shaded section has ice on it, it's a slippery, hard ice section to get through.

              Bob

              To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
              From: barbara@...
              Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 17:34:48 -0800