Re: [John Muir Trail] car shuttle

  • JD Schaefer
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 2, 2005
      Hitch-hike and save $100+
      It's easy and you meet new people
      JD
      JMT 2003

      Bob wrote:

      >Hi. I'm planning on thru hiking the JMT north to south starting
      >late July or early August, and am interested in arranging a car
      >shuttle from Whitney Portal to Yosemite. My plan is to take 17 days
      >or so including 1/2 day layover at VVR. I section hiked the JMT 00-
      >02 and did the HST in 03 so have a pretty good idea on how long it
      >would take me. I'm flexible on hiking with others in a loose
      >confederation, but don't want to share gear. - BobR
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Dave
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 5, 2005
        I would like a car shuttle from Yosemite to Whitney Portal, but I
        need my vehicle at WP by the end of July. Isn't there someone or a
        business that shuttles cars. I have arranged shuttles while rafting
        for years, certainly there is someone out there that offers this
        service.

        I was planning on taking the bus back to YV or Reno but after
        reading about the difficulties involved coordinating schedules, I am
        not too excited about it. Too bad Greyhound no longer runs their
        eastern Sierra routes like back in the "old days."

        Dave

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <rrichey@c...> wrote:

        > Hi. I'm planning on thru hiking the JMT north to south starting
        > late July or early August, and am interested in arranging a car
        > shuttle from Whitney Portal to Yosemite. My plan is to take 17
        days
        > or so including 1/2 day layover at VVR. I section hiked the JMT
        00-
        > 02 and did the HST in 03 so have a pretty good idea on how long it
        > would take me. I'm flexible on hiking with others in a loose
        > confederation, but don't want to share gear. - BobR
      • thomas taylor
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 6, 2005
          Dave,

          You wont have any difficulty hitching from WP to YV.
          As long as it is daylight, rides will be pleantiful
          plus you'll get a chance to meet some of the locals.
          I once hitched from Piute back to M Lakes with a local
          and we stopped at his favorite watering hole in
          Bishop- a tavern/bar across from what is now Galen
          Rowell's Mountain Light studio, had supper and a
          couple of beers (O'Doul for me since I was dehydrated
          and had to drive back to the bay area).

          Thomas
          --- Dave <idahomtman@...> wrote:

          > I would like a car shuttle from Yosemite to Whitney
          > Portal, but I
          > need my vehicle at WP by the end of July. Isn't
          > there someone or a
          > business that shuttles cars. I have arranged
          > shuttles while rafting
          > for years, certainly there is someone out there that
          > offers this
          > service.
          >
          > I was planning on taking the bus back to YV or Reno
          > but after
          > reading about the difficulties involved coordinating
          > schedules, I am
          > not too excited about it. Too bad Greyhound no
          > longer runs their
          > eastern Sierra routes like back in the "old days."
          >
          > Dave
          >
          > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Bob"
          > <rrichey@c...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi. I'm planning on thru hiking the JMT north to
          > south starting
          > > late July or early August, and am interested in
          > arranging a car
          > > shuttle from Whitney Portal to Yosemite. My plan
          > is to take 17
          > days
          > > or so including 1/2 day layover at VVR. I section
          > hiked the JMT
          > 00-
          > > 02 and did the HST in 03 so have a pretty good
          > idea on how long it
          > > would take me. I'm flexible on hiking with others
          > in a loose
          > > confederation, but don't want to share gear. -
          > BobR

          =====
          Best regards,

          Thomas

          Thomas Taylor
          tgtaylor7@...
          http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
        • plockey@austin.rr.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 6, 2005
            If the hitchhiking doesn't work consider the bus

            Yosemite Valley to Lee Vining
            http://www.yarts.com/schedule/2004/SUMMER04-120ESCHEDULE.pdf

            Lee Vinning to Bishop
            http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/CRESTpage.htm

            Bishop to Lone Pine
            http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/CRESTpage.htm

            Might have to re tailor the route, here are the main links
            http://www.yarts.com/
            http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/route,%20schedule%20&%20fares.htm

            Paul
          • Dave
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 6, 2005
              Thanks Paul. Those URLs are helpful. I have already considering
              structuring the trip so I end in time to catch the bus north.

              Dave

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, plockey@a... wrote:

              > If the hitchhiking doesn't work consider the bus
              >
              > Yosemite Valley to Lee Vining
              > http://www.yarts.com/schedule/2004/SUMMER04-120ESCHEDULE.pdf
              >
              > Lee Vinning to Bishop
              > http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/CRESTpage.htm
              >
              > Bishop to Lone Pine
              > http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/CRESTpage.htm
              >
              > Might have to re tailor the route, here are the main links
              > http://www.yarts.com/
              > http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/route,%20schedule%20&%
              20fares.htm

              > Paul
            • catrarunner
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 6, 2005
                You can do what I did and turn around and go back. Do a Yo- Yo.
                Just kidding.
                I know people who finished and made it back to Yosemite, just by
                asking for a ride. There are usually climbers heading back to
                Yosemite Valley from there so just ask around.

                Gotta run,
                Catra Corbett

                - In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@y...>

              • Bob
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 17, 2005
                  So do you have a trip journal somewhere? I understand you set some
                  sort of record. Where and how did you resupply? - BobR

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "catrarunner"
                  <catrarunner@y...> wrote:

                  > --
                  > You can do what I did and turn around and go back. Do a Yo- Yo.
                  > Just kidding.
                  > I know people who finished and made it back to Yosemite, just by
                  > asking for a ride. There are usually climbers heading back to
                  > Yosemite Valley from there so just ask around.
                  >
                  > Gotta run,
                  > Catra Corbett
                  >
                  > - In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@y...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > Dave,
                  > >
                  > > You wont have any difficulty hitching from WP to YV.
                  > > As long as it is daylight, rides will be pleantiful
                  > > plus you'll get a chance to meet some of the locals.
                  > > I once hitched from Piute back to M Lakes with a local
                  > > and we stopped at his favorite watering hole in
                  > > Bishop- a tavern/bar across from what is now Galen
                  > > Rowell's Mountain Light studio, had supper and a
                  > > couple of beers (O'Doul for me since I was dehydrated
                  > > and had to drive back to the bay area).
                  > >
                  > > Thomas
                  > > --- Dave <idahomtman@b...> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > > I would like a car shuttle from Yosemite to Whitney
                  > > > Portal, but I
                  > > > need my vehicle at WP by the end of July. Isn't
                  > > > there someone or a
                  > > > business that shuttles cars. I have arranged
                  > > > shuttles while rafting
                  > > > for years, certainly there is someone out there that
                  > > > offers this
                  > > > service.
                  > > >
                  > > > I was planning on taking the bus back to YV or Reno
                  > > > but after
                  > > > reading about the difficulties involved coordinating
                  > > > schedules, I am
                  > > > not too excited about it. Too bad Greyhound no
                  > > > longer runs their
                  > > > eastern Sierra routes like back in the "old days."
                  > > >
                  > > > Dave
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Bob"

                  > > > south starting
                  > > > arranging a car
                  > > > is to take 17
                  > > > days
                  > > > hiked the JMT
                  > > > 00-
                  > > > idea on how long it
                  > > > in a loose
                  > > > BobR
                  > > >

                  > > =====
                  > > Best regards,
                  > >
                  > > Thomas
                  > >
                  > > Thomas Taylor
                  > > tgtaylor7@y...
                  > > http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
                • Catra Corbett
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 17, 2005
                    Hi Bob-

                    I hold the record for the fastest woman's record in 5 days 15 hours. I also hold the record for a Yo Yo 12 days 4 hours.

                    I had two supply drops. One at Muir Ranch the other I had to run in a few weeks prior, I had that one at Woods creek crossing.

                    I use to have a web site with my X. I'm going to work on building a site in the next few months.

                    Cheers,

                    Catra