Re: [John Muir Trail] what I like . . . " your results may vary"

  • ed_rodriguez52@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 35 , Feb 1, 2010
      Hi Judy and welcome, from what I heard about the neoair you are right am planning to buy one for the very reason you listed also going to buy a Go lite ultra lite 20 bag because it has no bottom I needed something more to keep me warm

      From: "Judy Gross" <heartfire@...>
      Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 19:33:18 -0500
      To: <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: RE: [John Muir Trail] what I like . . . " your results may vary"

      HI,

      I’m new to this group, I’m planning a JMT hike in August.  I have a neoair and LOVE it.  It is the most comfortable sleep ever.  I had a BA insulated air core and several thermarests.  The noise is not a problem after it’s blown up.  I love the slightly tacky surface – non slip so your sleeping bag doesn’t slide right off.  I like that there are no vertical baffles like the BA had.  I just wish it was a few inches wider!  I sleep on my side with my knees curled up, and either my knees are off the mat or my butt is hanging off – this seems to be less of a problem with the neoair than the BA (not sure why).  Insulation – I can’t answer that coz I haven’t’ used it on really cold nights yet.

      Tents, - have you seen the LightHeart tent?  www.lightheartgear. com    http://www.whitebla ze.net/forum/ showthread. php?t=52867&page=3

      Judy

      From: barbara@mkpe. com
      Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 10:34:58 -0800
      Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Crawlies and mosquitos

      Hey Bob, care to show us your gear list?  I'd love to see it ('49, UK ).

      Barbara

      On Feb 1, 2010, at 9:54 AM, robert shattuck <bobolonius@hotmail. com> wrote:

      "looks like fun" . . . I'd bring the jetboil and be done with it, because it won't be any fun if your practiced technique, goes south on ya . . . especially if you want to cook for two or three people.

      As for your tents––they both look good. As long as you can zip up and keep the bugs out, you're good. There might come some windy days when you'd wished for a regular, "bomber" free-standing tent, but . . . they look good.

      I'm either a wimp or a glutton for punishment––I'll carry the weight and security of knowing that my stove can beat up your stove and my tent will still be  standing when the weather has finally passed.

      I must keep meeting the inexperienced people–––the ones who just bought their spiffy new super-lite tent (or the guy that thought, forget the stove, I'll do with just rocks as a base and twigs)  . . . I know there are hikers out there that can set a tent up in a thrashing storm, or do a Bear Grylls, and cook with a wet stick . . .

      . . . but no, I meet the guy that takes half an hour to stake down his non-free-standing tent and I just sit there watching, or the stove thing . . . "it worked in the back yard" . . .  and then again, it really just boils down (in an MSR second :) to confounded jealousy.

      I am always amazed with the super-lite thing, but it always seems like too much work, or too much suffering––like sleeping under a tarp and letting the bugs have their way with you, or needing to find a place to string up your tent or fidgeting with twigs to get a cup of warm water. I'm a wimp, but I'm down to 30-35 lbs, food and all.

      I was born ('57) in Hawaii ,  but never been back. one of these days I'll have to trade the sierra for some surf.

      To: johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com
      From: dawgbronco@yahoo. com
      Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 09:18:06 +0000

      Bob, flying in to Mammoth. Our friend's widow lives in Bishop and will provide transportation to the trailhead. (Or bus to Bishop and thumb/taxi to trailhead) Time constraints? We are allowing ten days to Whitney. This is our first JMT hike. Plan to finish it next year. I'll be 60 then. I will practice with the Sierra Stove Titanium till I get it or give up. Looks like fun. I have a Jetboil (great coffee!) and a Primus Etapower. Three of us going. If the SS works out we'll also take the Jetboil and a gas cartridge for making coffee. If I don't like the SS, We'll take the Primus. Thanks!

      --- In johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com, robert shattuck <bobolonius@ ...> wrote:

      > aloha,
      > mid-july you're still going to have mosquitos. if I were you I'd have a full on tent, rather than a tarp as nights with bugs can be a drag. nice to have a placve to hide out from them.
      > A 25 degree bag will be fine––no problems.
      > A sierra stove? Have you been practicing. Are you happy when things aren't exactly cooked . . . I should say I'm not an expert with these stoves or other ultra-lite, coke can devices . . . people use them . . . my experiences is only that I've had to lend out my stove to others that thought they'd bring their nifty little alcohol stove . . . but twigs???.
      > And I'm sure that the rangers and so on, would have no problem with you using and BURNING twigs over 10,000 feet––but you never know. My thinking is always, if you're coming from a long way away, to attempt this often overwhelming trip, you might want a few dependable things, such as a stove.
      > if all your other gear is light weight, a decent canister or white gas (did someone say, MSR whisper-lite? ) stove that will guarantee a boil at any altitude, in any weather . . . is not a bad idea.
      > where are you flying into and why are you starting at Bishop Pass. Time constraints? done half the trail already?
      > bob
      >
      > sparklefart. blogspot. com
      > http://www.summitpo st.org/plans/ view_activity. php?post_ id=6480
      >

      > To: johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com
      > From: dawgbronco@. ..
      > Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 05:35:18 +0000
      > Subject: [John Muir Trail] Crawlies and mosquitos

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)

      Message 35 of 35 , Feb 2, 2010
        On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 5:16 AM, <Patronio@...> wrote:

        | Is the Neo Air self-inflatable? Do you have to blow too much air and if so, how long does it | take?

        The NeoAir doesn't self-inflate - you blow in all the air.  But it's not too bad.  Not like the air mattresses I remember form years ago.

        One nice thing is that it deflates really quickly and really well.

        As I said earlier today, I've used it this weekend down to about 13 degrees (but it was with an old Ridgecrest closed cell pad - I usually need 2 pads in the snow).  Kept nice and warm (but I also had a good bag).

        San Francisco, CA  94114-3707
        415-648-9279