Re: [John Muir Trail] Hydration System Rec's

  • ed_rodriguez52@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2010
      I owen a MSR 3lt last year was the first time I used it. As I started my training walks I filled my MRS up and notice a bad taste in the water. I dried it out the best way I could. I later found out that the platypus has a colting that a person doesn't have to worry about drying or that bad taste that I have. For me my MSR is my drinking water (I mix it with power gaitor aid) and I carry a nalgene bottle for my cooking water. If I where you I get the platypus

      From: Jim Underwood <underwoodjjd@...>
      Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 11:23:12 -0800 (PST)
      To: <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [John Muir Trail] Hydration System Rec's

      I am transitioning from the old school Nalgene bottles and MSR Micro filter to a lighter alternative.

      I decided to go with the Aquamira drops for purification and drop the filter. Now, I am considering Platypus vs. MSR Dromedary bladders (for pack water with a hose and hanging in camp).

      The MSR are indestructible, basically, but a little heavier.  I'd probably also either bring a plastic gatorade bottle or one of those platypus soft 1 liter bottles as a backup and in tent water source.

      Any tips on these or another choice?

    • Gary A.
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2010
        Jim,

        I did the same thing a few years ago; however I got rid of my MSR Drom bag many years ago & went to the Platy. I love them. I use the 2+ for camp & just use my 20 oz gatorage bottle for hiking & what not. I have some of the original platys from like 12 yrs ago & they are still usable. In fact I still have the prototype they gave me when I worked in the Outdoor Retail Business back then.

        The MSR is just overkill & I never did like mine. Yucky taste to me, but then again that was 10 yrs ago too.I would just get a platy & if you ever do get a hole in one you can repair them in the field with a little duct tape....we all have a little duct tape hidden somewhere right.

        Just my thoughts only
        Gary A.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Jim Underwood <underwoodjjd@...> wrote:

        > I am transitioning from the old school Nalgene bottles and MSR Micro filter to a lighter alternative.
        >
        > I decided to go with the Aquamira drops for purification and drop the filter. Now, I am considering Platypus vs. MSR Dromedary bladders (for pack water with a hose and hanging in camp).
        >
        > The MSR are indestructible, basically, but a little heavier. I'd probably also either bring a plastic gatorade bottle or one of those platypus soft 1 liter bottles as a backup and in tent water source.
        >
        > Any tips on these or another choice?

      • Jim Underwood
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2010
          Yep always have duct tape, thanks for the perspective.

          I did the same thing a few years ago; however I got rid of my MSR Drom bag many years ago & went to the Platy. I love them. I use the 2+ for camp & just use my 20 oz gatorage bottle for hiking & what not. I have some of the original platys from like 12 yrs ago & they are still usable. In fact I still have the prototype they gave me when I worked in the Outdoor Retail Business back then.

          The MSR is just overkill & I never did like mine. Yucky taste to me, but then again that was 10 yrs ago too.I would just get a platy & if you ever do get a hole in one you can repair them in the field with a little duct tape....we all have a little duct tape hidden somewhere right.

          Just my thoughts only
          Gary A.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com, Jim Underwood <underwoodjjd@ ...> wrote:

          > I am transitioning from the old school Nalgene bottles and MSR Micro filter to a lighter alternative.
          >
          > I decided to go with the Aquamira drops for purification and drop the filter. Now, I am considering Platypus vs. MSR Dromedary bladders (for pack water with a hose and hanging in camp).
          >
          > The MSR are indestructible, basically, but a little heavier. I'd probably also either bring a plastic gatorade bottle or one of those platypus soft 1 liter bottles as a backup and in tent water source.
          >
          > Any tips on these or another choice?

        • zaq90wsx
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2010
            I used a 2 litre Platypus for my camp water and a gatorade bottle for
            hiking. Works great. On my last hike I tried a drinking tube with the
            Platypus - that help me drink more but I didn't like the weight on my
            back as much. Not sure what I'll do next hike, it's still undecided.

            The gatorade bottle, even if empty and in the pack, will stay no matter
            what though because it's quite tough.

            wrote:

            > I am transitioning from the old school Nalgene bottles and MSR Micro
            filter to a lighter alternative.

            > I decided to go with the Aquamira drops for purification and drop the
            filter. Now, I am considering Platypus vs. MSR Dromedary bladders (for
            pack water with a hose and hanging in camp).

            > The MSR are indestructible, basically, but a little heavier. I'd
            probably also either bring a plastic gatorade bottle or one of those
            platypus soft 1 liter bottles as a backup and in tent water source.

            > Any tips on these or another choice?

          • targetdoggmechanic
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 2, 2010
              I used to have an MSR miniworks...It worked well for a few years but it always took a lot of elbow grease to get a good bottle of water. Now I use the Katadyn Hiker Pro and absolutely love it. I fill my 2L MSR bladder in no time, and it has an in-line quick connect to the water tube that I drink from on my pack so I never have to remove it from my pack during a refill stop. All I do is remove the drinking bite valve and connect the filter output hose, and then reconnect the bite valve when done. It connects like a quick connect air hose fitting.It is simple and saves me a lot of time, and when I'm done my wife does the same for her water bladder. I LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Jim Underwood <underwoodjjd@...> wrote:

              > I am transitioning from the old school Nalgene bottles and MSR Micro filter to a lighter alternative.
              >
              > I decided to go with the Aquamira drops for purification and drop the filter. Now, I am considering Platypus vs. MSR Dromedary bladders (for pack water with a hose and hanging in camp).
              >
              > The MSR are indestructible, basically, but a little heavier. I'd probably also either bring a plastic gatorade bottle or one of those platypus soft 1 liter bottles as a backup and in tent water source.
              >
              > Any tips on these or another choice?

            • Peter Burke
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 2, 2010
                I use a cup, sometimes I fill a bottle and carry water until I can dip
                the cup again. For camp I have a nalgene canteen that folds up. no
                filter, only a few aquamira pills in the med kit, which I used once in
                fall, when fresh water was hard to find.