Re: [John Muir Trail] Crawlies and mosquitos

  • Gary A.
    Message 1 of 35 , Feb 1, 2010

      Here are some Reviews on their website about the Wind. Listed Below

      What made you ask about the wind? I would think it would hold up just fine, as well as the Double Rainbow I think.

      Thanks again,

      Gary A.

      VERY IMPRESSED: PASSED ALL WEATHER TESTS
      Honolulu, HI 9/26/2008
      Allen: I needed a new tent for an early September Fall backpacking trip to the Wind River Range in Wyoming. I purchased the Lunar Duo after doing some research on ultra light weight 2 person three season tents. I was a bit skeptical about how the tent would hold up in less than ideal conditions, especially considering where I was going! Setting up the tent was and is a breeze, there are several variations to how you can pitch this tent, depending on weather conditions of course (first time took me about 10 minutes, after that maybe 5 or so).

      For my six day trip into the Winds, we had a night or two of fairly windy conditions (20-30 mph) the first and second night @ 10400' elevation, and the tent held up like a champ. There was a very small amount of condensation on the roof of the tent, but it was very light and not enough to drip. The condensation dried quickly in the morning. My three friends were all impressed with how roomy my tent looked and they could not believe how light and compact the Lunar Duo packed up. The next three days saw intermittent snow. The Lunar Duo help up very well in the light dusting (maybe 3-5 accumulated inches), although I did occasionally knock the the accumulated snow off of the tent roof, as it began to sag in a few places from the weight, but this really wasn't a big issue for me at all. During the three days of intermittent snow, condensation did occur on the tent walls and roof, but I noticed that (on the roof) it tended to drip down the sides of the tent towards the mesh, although there were a few spots where some minor dripping did occur on the tent floor, but this seemed to only happen where the tent roof was sagging from the weight of the snow on it.

      All in all I was very satisfied with my purchase and how the Lunar Duo held up on trip. Now back in Hawaii - and looking forward to taking this light weight baby on a few local hikes here on Oahu and over on Kauai's Napali Coast! Aloha

      STOOD THE TEST
      Montana 8/18/2008
      Glenda: Last summer I did extensive research for the perfect lightweight tent for a 50ish woman. This led me to your two person tent. Although I took it out several times last summer and loved it's design, it's size, and it's weight; I had to reserve judgment until it had passed some more tests.

      In April two friends and I took it to Canyonlands and it got the wind test. Although we got a fair amount of sand inside, the tent stood up to some terrific winds. After this past week, I'm ready to give it the 5 star rating. Again three of us (sharing one tent) went on a five-day trip through the Beartooth mountains in Montana. The second night a hugh storm blew in and the three of us and all our gear spent 17 hours hunkered down in the tent. It withstood both high winds and accompaning rain. We stayed warm and dry.

      As I expected from having read others reviews before my purchase it did have a lot of condensation--actually enough to drip occasionally on us. BUT, I'd buy the tent again in a heartbeat. I think all of my backpacking buddies would as well

      Message 35 of 35 , Feb 2, 2010
        On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 5:16 AM, <Patronio@...> wrote:

        | Is the Neo Air self-inflatable? Do you have to blow too much air and if so, how long does it | take?

        The NeoAir doesn't self-inflate - you blow in all the air.  But it's not too bad.  Not like the air mattresses I remember form years ago.

        One nice thing is that it deflates really quickly and really well.

        As I said earlier today, I've used it this weekend down to about 13 degrees (but it was with an old Ridgecrest closed cell pad - I usually need 2 pads in the snow).  Kept nice and warm (but I also had a good bag).

        San Francisco, CA  94114-3707
        415-648-9279