Re: [John Muir Trail] Crawlies and mosquitos

  • LEBRUN
    Message 1 of 35 , Feb 1, 2010
      Did JMT 2009 -- started July 17 South to North -- Mosquitoes were heavy at Wallace Creek, Bubbs Creek, and South fork Kings -- not a problem up high.  I would bring the full tent. Your sleeping bag should be fine. My bag is rated for 32 degrees.  I love my Jetboil stove.  Maybe we will see you on the trail -- JMT2010 July 19 South to North.

      Hope this helps.

      On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 10:35 PM, First L <dawgbronco@...> wrote:

      Have a permit. Starting Bishop Pass end of July and going to Whitney on the JMT. I live in Hawaii so the bug screen is not an option but the tarp is. Please tell me about insects at the campsites. Should I bring the nest or just the tarp and tub? And will a 25 degree bag suffice? Also, taking a Sierra Stove. Any advice?

      Message 35 of 35 , Feb 2, 2010
        On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 5:16 AM, <Patronio@...> wrote:

        | Is the Neo Air self-inflatable? Do you have to blow too much air and if so, how long does it | take?

        The NeoAir doesn't self-inflate - you blow in all the air.  But it's not too bad.  Not like the air mattresses I remember form years ago.

        One nice thing is that it deflates really quickly and really well.

        As I said earlier today, I've used it this weekend down to about 13 degrees (but it was with an old Ridgecrest closed cell pad - I usually need 2 pads in the snow).  Kept nice and warm (but I also had a good bag).

        San Francisco, CA  94114-3707
        415-648-9279