car shuttle

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 2, 2005
      Hi. I'm planning on thru hiking the JMT north to south starting
      late July or early August, and am interested in arranging a car
      shuttle from Whitney Portal to Yosemite. My plan is to take 17 days
      or so including 1/2 day layover at VVR. I section hiked the JMT 00-
      02 and did the HST in 03 so have a pretty good idea on how long it
      would take me. I'm flexible on hiking with others in a loose
      confederation, but don't want to share gear. - BobR
    • JD Schaefer
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 2, 2005
        Hitch-hike and save $100+
        It's easy and you meet new people
        JD
        JMT 2003

        Bob wrote:

        >Hi. I'm planning on thru hiking the JMT north to south starting
        >late July or early August, and am interested in arranging a car
        >shuttle from Whitney Portal to Yosemite. My plan is to take 17 days
        >or so including 1/2 day layover at VVR. I section hiked the JMT 00-
        >02 and did the HST in 03 so have a pretty good idea on how long it
        >would take me. I'm flexible on hiking with others in a loose
        >confederation, but don't want to share gear. - BobR
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Dave
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 5, 2005
          I would like a car shuttle from Yosemite to Whitney Portal, but I
          need my vehicle at WP by the end of July. Isn't there someone or a
          business that shuttles cars. I have arranged shuttles while rafting
          for years, certainly there is someone out there that offers this
          service.

          I was planning on taking the bus back to YV or Reno but after
          reading about the difficulties involved coordinating schedules, I am
          not too excited about it. Too bad Greyhound no longer runs their
          eastern Sierra routes like back in the "old days."

          Dave

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <rrichey@c...> wrote:

          > Hi. I'm planning on thru hiking the JMT north to south starting
          > late July or early August, and am interested in arranging a car
          > shuttle from Whitney Portal to Yosemite. My plan is to take 17
          days
          > or so including 1/2 day layover at VVR. I section hiked the JMT
          00-
          > 02 and did the HST in 03 so have a pretty good idea on how long it
          > would take me. I'm flexible on hiking with others in a loose
          > confederation, but don't want to share gear. - BobR
        • thomas taylor
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 6, 2005
            Dave,

            You wont have any difficulty hitching from WP to YV.
            As long as it is daylight, rides will be pleantiful
            plus you'll get a chance to meet some of the locals.
            I once hitched from Piute back to M Lakes with a local
            and we stopped at his favorite watering hole in
            Bishop- a tavern/bar across from what is now Galen
            Rowell's Mountain Light studio, had supper and a
            couple of beers (O'Doul for me since I was dehydrated
            and had to drive back to the bay area).

            Thomas
            --- Dave <idahomtman@...> wrote:

            > I would like a car shuttle from Yosemite to Whitney
            > Portal, but I
            > need my vehicle at WP by the end of July. Isn't
            > there someone or a
            > business that shuttles cars. I have arranged
            > shuttles while rafting
            > for years, certainly there is someone out there that
            > offers this
            > service.
            >
            > I was planning on taking the bus back to YV or Reno
            > but after
            > reading about the difficulties involved coordinating
            > schedules, I am
            > not too excited about it. Too bad Greyhound no
            > longer runs their
            > eastern Sierra routes like back in the "old days."
            >
            > Dave
            >
            > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Bob"
            > <rrichey@c...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi. I'm planning on thru hiking the JMT north to
            > south starting
            > > late July or early August, and am interested in
            > arranging a car
            > > shuttle from Whitney Portal to Yosemite. My plan
            > is to take 17
            > days
            > > or so including 1/2 day layover at VVR. I section
            > hiked the JMT
            > 00-
            > > 02 and did the HST in 03 so have a pretty good
            > idea on how long it
            > > would take me. I'm flexible on hiking with others
            > in a loose
            > > confederation, but don't want to share gear. -
            > BobR

            =====
            Best regards,

            Thomas

            Thomas Taylor
            tgtaylor7@...
            http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
          • plockey@austin.rr.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 6, 2005
              If the hitchhiking doesn't work consider the bus

              Yosemite Valley to Lee Vining
              http://www.yarts.com/schedule/2004/SUMMER04-120ESCHEDULE.pdf

              Lee Vinning to Bishop
              http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/CRESTpage.htm

              Bishop to Lone Pine
              http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/CRESTpage.htm

              Might have to re tailor the route, here are the main links
              http://www.yarts.com/
              http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/route,%20schedule%20&%20fares.htm

              Paul
            • Dave
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 6, 2005
                Thanks Paul. Those URLs are helpful. I have already considering
                structuring the trip so I end in time to catch the bus north.

                Dave

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, plockey@a... wrote:

                > If the hitchhiking doesn't work consider the bus
                >
                > Yosemite Valley to Lee Vining
                > http://www.yarts.com/schedule/2004/SUMMER04-120ESCHEDULE.pdf
                >
                > Lee Vinning to Bishop
                > http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/CRESTpage.htm
                >
                > Bishop to Lone Pine
                > http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/CRESTpage.htm
                >
                > Might have to re tailor the route, here are the main links
                > http://www.yarts.com/
                > http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/route,%20schedule%20&%
                20fares.htm

                > Paul
              • catrarunner
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 6, 2005
                  You can do what I did and turn around and go back. Do a Yo- Yo.
                  Just kidding.
                  I know people who finished and made it back to Yosemite, just by
                  asking for a ride. There are usually climbers heading back to
                  Yosemite Valley from there so just ask around.

                  Gotta run,
                  Catra Corbett

                  - In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@y...>

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 17, 2005
                    So do you have a trip journal somewhere? I understand you set some
                    sort of record. Where and how did you resupply? - BobR

                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "catrarunner"
                    <catrarunner@y...> wrote:

                    > --
                    > You can do what I did and turn around and go back. Do a Yo- Yo.
                    > Just kidding.
                    > I know people who finished and made it back to Yosemite, just by
                    > asking for a ride. There are usually climbers heading back to
                    > Yosemite Valley from there so just ask around.
                    >
                    > Gotta run,
                    > Catra Corbett
                    >
                    > - In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@y...>
                    > wrote:
                    > > Dave,
                    > >
                    > > You wont have any difficulty hitching from WP to YV.
                    > > As long as it is daylight, rides will be pleantiful
                    > > plus you'll get a chance to meet some of the locals.
                    > > I once hitched from Piute back to M Lakes with a local
                    > > and we stopped at his favorite watering hole in
                    > > Bishop- a tavern/bar across from what is now Galen
                    > > Rowell's Mountain Light studio, had supper and a
                    > > couple of beers (O'Doul for me since I was dehydrated
                    > > and had to drive back to the bay area).
                    > >
                    > > Thomas
                    > > --- Dave <idahomtman@b...> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > > I would like a car shuttle from Yosemite to Whitney
                    > > > Portal, but I
                    > > > need my vehicle at WP by the end of July. Isn't
                    > > > there someone or a
                    > > > business that shuttles cars. I have arranged
                    > > > shuttles while rafting
                    > > > for years, certainly there is someone out there that
                    > > > offers this
                    > > > service.
                    > > >
                    > > > I was planning on taking the bus back to YV or Reno
                    > > > but after
                    > > > reading about the difficulties involved coordinating
                    > > > schedules, I am
                    > > > not too excited about it. Too bad Greyhound no
                    > > > longer runs their
                    > > > eastern Sierra routes like back in the "old days."
                    > > >
                    > > > Dave
                    > > >
                    > > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Bob"

                    > > > south starting
                    > > > arranging a car
                    > > > is to take 17
                    > > > days
                    > > > hiked the JMT
                    > > > 00-
                    > > > idea on how long it
                    > > > in a loose
                    > > > BobR
                    > > >

                    > > =====
                    > > Best regards,
                    > >
                    > > Thomas
                    > >
                    > > Thomas Taylor
                    > > tgtaylor7@y...
                    > > http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
                  • Catra Corbett
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 17, 2005
                      Hi Bob-

                      I hold the record for the fastest woman's record in 5 days 15 hours. I also hold the record for a Yo Yo 12 days 4 hours.

                      I had two supply drops. One at Muir Ranch the other I had to run in a few weeks prior, I had that one at Woods creek crossing.

                      I use to have a web site with my X. I'm going to work on building a site in the next few months.

                      Cheers,

                      Catra