Re: Proposed Development Project near end of JMT

  • dive_hike
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 13, 2004
      Christine,

      Thank you for this information. I will definitely write a letter
      and spread the word.

      The following is a very active group of hikers:

      Could you also post on that group?

      Best Regards,
      Bill

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Christine Hancock"
      <chancoc1@h...> wrote:
      > Hi all - most of you know that the JMT ends (or starts, for some)
      at Mt. Whitney, at which point people usually hike down the hill to
      Whitney Portal, hitch a ride to Lone Pine, and then find their way
      home. I grew up in Lone Pine, so I've seen a lot of folks finish
      the circuit, drive down the hill, and go home elated.

      > The road up to Whitney Portal is driven on by thousands of people
      every year and designated by the local General Plan as a
      exemplary "viewshed" that "should be preserved." Unfortunately,
      the local county government is now considering a proposal to builid
      27 trophy houses right off of Whitney Portal road, several miles
      from any other significant development. As lovers of Sierra
      landscapes, I'm hoping that a few of you would be willing to write
      comment letters to the Inyo County planning department expressing
      your opposition to the development (and the associated Environmental
      Impact Report) so the Planning Commissioners can see that this area
      doesn't just matter to locals. Please check out
      www.savethemountain.org for facts and figures, sample letters and
      links to the EIR. The deadline for letters is Jan 7, 2005. If you
      know anyone else who might be willing to comment, please forward
      this message on to them.