Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Bear Vault 500 - re packing update

  • Scott
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 29, 2010
      Hey Ed,

      I have found one of the best ways to tightly pack non or semi-perishable foods is fill a bag (non zip lock) about half way, twist the bag to get out all of the air, then twist tie the very top.  This then allows you to flatten the food out in a large area, but still stay sealed.  But, what you found out about MH from your phone call, is that MH probably should be considered perishable.
      When I vac-packed my MH meals, I crushed then lightly to break up any big pieces, then put them in the vacuum bag between a folded sheet of parchment paper to prevent poke through the bag.  I left the bag large enough to rehydrate in, and doing so allowed me to have meals that stacked in a bear canister like thick sheets of paper.  In this way, I got seven days worth of meals (of which seven dinners, and three breakfasts were MH) and felt I ate very well.  Given the same meals, it is not so much about the volume of food, but more how much of the space you can eliminate between the individual meals once packaged.  Hope that helps.

      Scott

      --- On Wed, 1/27/10, ed_rodriguez52@... <ed_rodriguez52@...> wrote:

      Vacuum seal that might work. One problem I notice with MH is how much volume (space) each meal take up. How much space did you notice that you can save from a meal in a quart size zip lock bag than one meal into a vacuum seal