Proposed Development Project near end of JMT

  • Christine Hancock
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 12, 2004
      Hi all - most of you know that the JMT ends (or starts, for some) at Mt. Whitney, at which point people usually hike down the hill to Whitney Portal, hitch a ride to Lone Pine, and then find their way home. I grew up in Lone Pine, so I've seen a lot of folks finish the circuit, drive down the hill, and go home elated.

      The road up to Whitney Portal is driven on by thousands of people every year and designated by the local General Plan as a exemplary "viewshed" that "should be preserved." Unfortunately, the local county government is now considering a proposal to builid 27 trophy houses right off of Whitney Portal road, several miles from any other significant development. As lovers of Sierra landscapes, I'm hoping that a few of you would be willing to write comment letters to the Inyo County planning department expressing your opposition to the development (and the associated Environmental Impact Report) so the Planning Commissioners can see that this area doesn't just matter to locals. Please check out www.savethemountain.org for facts and figures, sample letters and links to the EIR. The deadline for letters is Jan 7, 2005. If you know anyone else who might be willing to comment, please forward this message on to them.

      Thanks so much!

      Christine
      ________________________________
      Christine Hancock
      UCB-UCSF Joint Medical Program
      runa@...
      (510)847-5554

    • dive_hike
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 13, 2004
        Christine,

        Thank you for this information. I will definitely write a letter
        and spread the word.

        The following is a very active group of hikers:

        Could you also post on that group?

        Best Regards,
        Bill

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Christine Hancock"