JMT - Aug 2005 - N to S - 21 day trip

  • Dana Clemensen
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 9, 2004
      I would like to know if anyone has a schedule set up for running the
      JMT North to South taking 19 - 21 days to complete (Obvious a few
      layover days). I am being to layout my trip for Aug 2005 and it
      would be helpful if someone already had a daily mileage planner set
      up. Thanks
    • JD Schaefer
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 9, 2004
        When I did it last year, I had a plan for 17-days but it was for hiking,
        not running as you say you're going to do.
        JD

        Dana Clemensen wrote:

        >I would like to know if anyone has a schedule set up for running the
        >JMT North to South taking 19 - 21 days to complete (Obvious a few
        >layover days). I am being to layout my trip for Aug 2005 and it
        >would be helpful if someone already had a daily mileage planner set
        >up. Thanks
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • hmdsierra
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 9, 2004
          My then 10 year old son and I did it N-S in 1982. We took 23 hiking
          days and 2 layover days. Our average hiking rate was a bit over 9
          miles per day and the longest was around 13 miles. We resupplied at
          Red's Mdw. and because my friend dropped out there he brought us a
          resupply at Vidette Mdw. He had intended to finish with us from there
          but his knee was still bothering him. Had he not dropped out we would
          have had only the one resupply. We did about the same distance every
          day with some variation. Nights were spent at:
          Cloud's Rest turnoff
          Cathedral Lake
          Middle Tuolumne Mdw
          Rush Creek
          The lake after Shadow Lk
          Red Cones
          Creek befor Purple Lk.
          Fish Ck.
          Mono Ck.
          Bear Creek crossing
          Piute Ck.
          McClure Mdw.
          Muir Hut
          Grouse Mdw.
          Upper Palisaid Lk.
          Lake Marjorie
          Woods Ck. Crossing
          Vidette Mdw.
          South side of Forester Pass
          Wright Ck.
          Guitar Lk.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Dana Clemensen"

        • plockey@austin.rr.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 9, 2004
            Dana
            My friend Brian did the JMT from Tuolumne Meadows South to Whitney
            Portal this past summer. The hike up from Yosemite Valley I did the
            previous summer and takes about two days. Be careful of the bears in
            this area. This is how this past summer went:

            July 20, 2004
            Tuolumne Meadows to Donohue Pass Camp (13.5 miles)
            July 21, 2004
            Donohue Pass Camp to Gladys Lake Camp (13.0 miles)
            July 22, 2004
            Gladys Lake Camp to Duck Creek Camp (20.8 miles)
            July 23, 2004
            Duck Creek Camp to Quail Meadow Camp (18.2 miles)
            July 24, 2004
            Quail Meadow Camp to Vermillion Valley Resort Shuttle (1.4 miles)
            July 25, 2004
            Vermillion Valley Resort Shuttle to Quail Meadow (1.4 miles)
            Quail Meadow to Marie Lake Camp (12.8 miles)
            July 26, 2004
            Marie Lake Camp to Evolution Meadow Camp (16.1 miles)
            July 27, 2004
            Evolution Meadow Camp to Helen Lake Camp (14.3 miles)
            July 28, 2004
            Helen Lake Camp to Palisade Lakes Camp (16.0 miles)
            July 29, 2004
            Palisade Lakes Camp to Lake Marjorie Camp (12.0 miles)
            July 30, 2004
            Lake Marjorie Camp to Dollar Lake Camp (12.0 miles)
            July 31, 2004
            Dollar Lake Camp to Center Basin Trail Junction Camp (13.9 miles)
            August 1, 2004
            Center Basin Trail Junction Camp to Wallace Creek Camp (15.5 miles)
            August 2, 2004
            Wallace Creek Camp to Guitar Lake Camp (6.6 miles)
            August 3, 2004
            Guitar Lake Camp to Mount Whitney (6.2 miles)
            Mount Whitney to Whitney Portal Campground (10.5 miles)

            Hope this helps.

            Paul