Re: [John Muir Trail] evac posting

  • bgomoll@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 27, 2010
      Jean,

      Thanks for sharing that story...puts into perspective the "wild" in wilderness.

      Barb

      From: rkoesler22@yahoo. com
      Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 05:22:13 -0800
      Subject: [John Muir Trail] evac posting

      Happy Hump Day everyone!  As a point of clarification from my evacuation post….my purpose for posing the question was in hopes to gain some interesting insights from those who have experience on the JMT and perhaps share some stories of evacuations that they have seen or had been involved in while trekking the JMT.  I have a SPOT, I already have permits, own the Map Pack, WFR training, AND have a pretty good idea where the nearest (not necessarily near) routes would be in case of an injury/accident.  As an educator, I know that although people are not participating on the site doesn’t necessarily mean they are not present.  So, the question was in part for me to get a fun dialogue going and perhaps have folks share their experiences for those who may be present but not necessarily participating.  Although I have been involved in evacuations, I have never had to be the one evacuated…knock on wood.  So, for those of you who have shared some
      stories and offered suggestions for other maps and trails…great!  I think everyone benefits from that.  We learn much from other peoples’ experiences and mistakes.  Again, my question was not posed because of my lack of experience (on the contrary) but to gain insight from JMT’ers and to have folks share evac situations.    How’s that for a clarification?  Onward we go!