Re: hiking partner

  • mpust
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 22, 2004
      I'm going north to south for two reasons: it's much easier to get
      permits and acclimation is less of a factor.
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "mtman492000" <idahomtman@b...>
    • plockey@austin.rr.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 22, 2004
        The second reason more important than the first. I made an attempt on
        the JMT the summer of 2003, which I did not finish, and 2004, which I
        did complete. The reason that I did not finish in 2003 was because if
        altitude sickness. After returning I studied everything that I could
        find on the subject. I would say that the number one reason for the
        2004 success was hydration. Every evening I would fill my 2-liter and
        1-liter bladders and drink them dry. I would then refill them and
        repeat the process the following morning. Toward the end of the trip
        we had another person traveling with us that came down with altitude
        sickness. She was to point of not being functional. I told her what I
        was doing with the water and when we got to camp my partner and I
        enforced it on her. We parted company the next day however I have
        been in contact with her since returning. She attributes as do I the
        hydration routine with being successful in completing the trip. I
        thought this might be useful especially since I saw more people
        leaving the trail uncompleted than were completing the trip.

        Paul

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "mpust" <mpust@y...> wrote:
        > I'm going north to south for two reasons: it's much easier to get
        > permits and acclimation is less of a factor.
        > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "mtman492000"
        <idahomtman@b...>
        > wrote:
        > > I am also planning to hike the JMT next summer, ultralight in 10
        > > days. I haven't found anyone who wants to hike at that pace so am
        > > planning to do the hike solo. I've done many parts of the JMT but
        > > not the entire hike in one trip. I would be interested in
        comments
        > > regarding the advantages and diadvantages of beginning north
        versus
        > > south.
      • dive_hike
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 22, 2004
          I prefer North to South for faster hikes. If you are planning on 10
          days, and start at the Portal, you will need to hike to Crabtree (or
          so) on the first day. That is a tough first day. Not only do you
          have to acclimate, but you will be carrying your maximum weight
          (I've day hiked Whitney, but not with a pack and 6 /7 days of food).

          If you start at Yosemite, it is a relatively easy first day
          to hike to Tuolumne Meadows. Not only is the acclimatization
          easier, but you will be carrying less weight.

          I would consider re-supplying at Red's Meadow on the 3rd day or
          possibly at Vermilion on the 5th. I've done both and for a 10
          day I would carry 3 days out of Yosemite and 7 days out of Red's.

          Red's Meadow
          http://www.mammothweb.com/redsmeadow/

          Vermilion Valley:
          http://www.edisonlake.com/

          Red's is right on the trail. Re-supplying at Vermilion will take
          a little time.

          OTOH, South to North is fun since you meet more hikers (most people
          start at Yosemite).

          Enjoy the hike.

        • plockey@austin.rr.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 22, 2004
            I don't have any experience with the south to north route but I would
            say that the valley to Tuolumne is no piece of cake. Right from the
            start you have a 4500+ elevation gain. A chore that is not repeated
            anywhere else on the trail.

            Paul

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "dive_hike" <dive_hike@y...>