hiking partner

  • mtman492000
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 22, 2004
      I am also planning to hike the JMT next summer, ultralight in 10
      days. I haven't found anyone who wants to hike at that pace so am
      planning to do the hike solo. I've done many parts of the JMT but
      not the entire hike in one trip. I would be interested in comments
      regarding the advantages and diadvantages of beginning north versus
      south.
    • mpust
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 22, 2004
        I'm going north to south for two reasons: it's much easier to get
        permits and acclimation is less of a factor.
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "mtman492000" <idahomtman@b...>
      • plockey@austin.rr.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 22, 2004
          The second reason more important than the first. I made an attempt on
          the JMT the summer of 2003, which I did not finish, and 2004, which I
          did complete. The reason that I did not finish in 2003 was because if
          altitude sickness. After returning I studied everything that I could
          find on the subject. I would say that the number one reason for the
          2004 success was hydration. Every evening I would fill my 2-liter and
          1-liter bladders and drink them dry. I would then refill them and
          repeat the process the following morning. Toward the end of the trip
          we had another person traveling with us that came down with altitude
          sickness. She was to point of not being functional. I told her what I
          was doing with the water and when we got to camp my partner and I
          enforced it on her. We parted company the next day however I have
          been in contact with her since returning. She attributes as do I the
          hydration routine with being successful in completing the trip. I
          thought this might be useful especially since I saw more people
          leaving the trail uncompleted than were completing the trip.

          Paul

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "mpust" <mpust@y...> wrote:
          > I'm going north to south for two reasons: it's much easier to get
          > permits and acclimation is less of a factor.
          > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "mtman492000"
          <idahomtman@b...>
          > wrote:
          > > I am also planning to hike the JMT next summer, ultralight in 10
          > > days. I haven't found anyone who wants to hike at that pace so am
          > > planning to do the hike solo. I've done many parts of the JMT but
          > > not the entire hike in one trip. I would be interested in
          comments
          > > regarding the advantages and diadvantages of beginning north
          versus
          > > south.
        • dive_hike
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 22, 2004
            I prefer North to South for faster hikes. If you are planning on 10
            days, and start at the Portal, you will need to hike to Crabtree (or
            so) on the first day. That is a tough first day. Not only do you
            have to acclimate, but you will be carrying your maximum weight
            (I've day hiked Whitney, but not with a pack and 6 /7 days of food).

            If you start at Yosemite, it is a relatively easy first day
            to hike to Tuolumne Meadows. Not only is the acclimatization
            easier, but you will be carrying less weight.

            I would consider re-supplying at Red's Meadow on the 3rd day or
            possibly at Vermilion on the 5th. I've done both and for a 10
            day I would carry 3 days out of Yosemite and 7 days out of Red's.

            Red's Meadow
            http://www.mammothweb.com/redsmeadow/

            Vermilion Valley:
            http://www.edisonlake.com/

            Red's is right on the trail. Re-supplying at Vermilion will take
            a little time.

            OTOH, South to North is fun since you meet more hikers (most people
            start at Yosemite).

            Enjoy the hike.

          • plockey@austin.rr.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 22, 2004
              I don't have any experience with the south to north route but I would
              say that the valley to Tuolumne is no piece of cake. Right from the
              start you have a 4500+ elevation gain. A chore that is not repeated
              anywhere else on the trail.

              Paul

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "dive_hike" <dive_hike@y...>