Re: [John Muir Trail] Dry camp near Mather Pass

  • targetdoggmechanic
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 24, 2010
      That would be a tough day but doable. I started in Big Pete meadow and
      was going to try the golden stair case and Mather in the same day to get
      to the solitude of upper basin, but was intimidated by the coming storm
      rolling over Mather. It turned out to be a dud. I've been caught at
      Palisades 3 times with bad weather...Snow, rain, lightning, hail, wind,
      you name it, in the middle of August! Anyways, there are some great
      sites with wonderful views just after the stream crossing that pours
      water into the center of the upper lake...its on the maps. Right after
      the crossing, look above the trail to the North, and you will see some
      small stunted trees and start finding a site to suit your needs...there
      are some really nice cozy ones! There are also some more obvious ones
      futher up the trail and near the crossing, but I like the ones above the
      trail. Water nearby and GREAT views. Probably one of my best campsites
      of the trip.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, ed_rodriguez52@... wrote:

      > Thanks every one for your input. I planning to camp out near the
      junction of middle fork kings river and palisade creek if I get to
      Palisade lake it will be only a 6.7 mile day but with a 1,800 foot climb
      now if I get near Mather Pass it be close to a 3,700. Guess we see how
      am holding when I get to the lakes. Thanks

      Pass.
      > > Between Palisade Lake and the pass or how soon after the pass (upper
      > > basin)you can find a camp site. Or am I better off camping at
      Palisade Lake