Re: [John Muir Trail] Bear Cannisters-Mosquito Flat

  • thomas taylor
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 21, 2004
      Attached is a list of places where the park service
      has bear lockers. Otherwise, you can rent one at the
      permit station ($5 a trip, I think) or purchase one
      new for $75 (and up) at places like REI. They weigh
      3lbs and a little less for the more expensive ones.
      Since I do a lot of hiking, I purchased one years ago.

      Thomas

      --- Jeff Keplar <jeffkeplar@...> wrote:
      > Help!
      > We have no mountains and no bears in Indiana, but my
      > Navy son and I
      > are spending a week backpacking in early August in
      > the High Sierra,
      > starting from Mosquito Flat and going into the
      > Recess Lakes and
      > surrounding areas on an in and back trip. We plan a
      > base camp with
      > lots of day hikes for photography and exploration.
      > So can I assume
      > there are bear cannisters in popular camping places,
      > or do I rent or
      > buy portable ones before I go? If so, where? How
      > heavy are they?
      > What sizes are available? Are they expensive? We
      > will have a
      > Saturday to get our act together before hitting the
      > trail Sunday
      > morning.
      > We've backpacked lots in the Grand Canyon area and
      > Utah, but this
      > bear thing is somewhat new to us. We appreciate any
      > information that
      > will help us survive with a full stomach, rather
      > than feeding the
      > bears.
      > Thanks from a flatlander!

      =====
      Best regards,

      Thomas

      Thomas Taylor
      tgtaylor7@...
      http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7

    • thomas taylor
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 21, 2004
        The attachment didn't make it on the other email.
        Also, this at least several months old and maybe not
        complete (can't remember). However you can on online
        to the NPS website and search for this document,

        =====
        Best regards,

        Thomas

        Thomas Taylor
        tgtaylor7@...
        http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7

      • ndeewoods
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 21, 2004
          Well let me try pasting it...

          http://www.climber.org/scripts/BearBoxes.cgi?REG+ALL

          Anyway, I don't think there are any where you are going. But they
          can be rented or bought easily at most trailhead ranger stations.
          Dee

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@y...>