Bear Cannisters-Mosquito Flat

  • Jeff Keplar
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 21 7:27 AM
      Help!
      We have no mountains and no bears in Indiana, but my Navy son and I
      are spending a week backpacking in early August in the High Sierra,
      starting from Mosquito Flat and going into the Recess Lakes and
      surrounding areas on an in and back trip. We plan a base camp with
      lots of day hikes for photography and exploration. So can I assume
      there are bear cannisters in popular camping places, or do I rent or
      buy portable ones before I go? If so, where? How heavy are they?
      What sizes are available? Are they expensive? We will have a
      Saturday to get our act together before hitting the trail Sunday
      morning.
      We've backpacked lots in the Grand Canyon area and Utah, but this
      bear thing is somewhat new to us. We appreciate any information that
      will help us survive with a full stomach, rather than feeding the
      bears.
      Thanks from a flatlander!
    • thomas taylor
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 21 7:44 AM
        Attached is a list of places where the park service
        has bear lockers. Otherwise, you can rent one at the
        permit station ($5 a trip, I think) or purchase one
        new for $75 (and up) at places like REI. They weigh
        3lbs and a little less for the more expensive ones.
        Since I do a lot of hiking, I purchased one years ago.

        Thomas

        --- Jeff Keplar <jeffkeplar@...> wrote:
        > Help!
        > We have no mountains and no bears in Indiana, but my
        > Navy son and I
        > are spending a week backpacking in early August in
        > the High Sierra,
        > starting from Mosquito Flat and going into the
        > Recess Lakes and
        > surrounding areas on an in and back trip. We plan a
        > base camp with
        > lots of day hikes for photography and exploration.
        > So can I assume
        > there are bear cannisters in popular camping places,
        > or do I rent or
        > buy portable ones before I go? If so, where? How
        > heavy are they?
        > What sizes are available? Are they expensive? We
        > will have a
        > Saturday to get our act together before hitting the
        > trail Sunday
        > morning.
        > We've backpacked lots in the Grand Canyon area and
        > Utah, but this
        > bear thing is somewhat new to us. We appreciate any
        > information that
        > will help us survive with a full stomach, rather
        > than feeding the
        > bears.
        > Thanks from a flatlander!

        =====
        Best regards,

        Thomas

        Thomas Taylor
        tgtaylor7@...
        http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7

      • thomas taylor
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 21 7:56 AM
          The attachment didn't make it on the other email.
          Also, this at least several months old and maybe not
          complete (can't remember). However you can on online
          to the NPS website and search for this document,

          =====
          Best regards,

          Thomas

          Thomas Taylor
          tgtaylor7@...
          http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7

        • ndeewoods
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 21 2:19 PM
            Well let me try pasting it...

            http://www.climber.org/scripts/BearBoxes.cgi?REG+ALL

            Anyway, I don't think there are any where you are going. But they
            can be rented or bought easily at most trailhead ranger stations.
            Dee

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@y...>