[John Muir Trail] Re: Altitude Sickness

  • jimr_pdx
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 6, 2004
      I agree with Dee - 4000' was not high enough for me in 1993 when I was
      stricken. I stayed the night at Bishop to avoid the heat (campgrounds
      were full), and the Pine Creek trail ruined me. I have found that a
      dayhike and camps at 8000 or higher work for me; no bouts of altitude
      sickess since that big one, other than the slight lethargy or headache
      I pretty much always get on day two. Coming from sea level, I can't
      expect to escape unscathed! [Details at granitic.net, 1993 trip.]