Photo/Hike Mt Conness June 12 and 13?

  • Thomas G. Taylor
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 2004
      Hi all,

      I'm planning a 20-mile round-trip backpack to the summit(I'll be
      satisified with the plateau just a few yards shy of the actual
      summit) of Mt Conness (12,590 ft) in northern Yosemite and invite
      you to join me in this adventure.

      The plan is to depart the bay area on Friday afternoon, 11 June, or
      early Saturday morning (like 3/4am), depart from the Glen
      Aulin/Young Lakes trailhead in Tuolumne Meadows Saturday morning,
      and establish a base camp either at Young lakes, or perhaps better,
      at Lake 10,560 ft+ which is about 1.3 miles south of Mt Conness.
      Sunday will be summit day after which we will return to via the
      trail to Dog Lake making the trip a loop rather than an out and back.

      Although this will be my first time on this route, I understand that
      it is strenuous but Class 2 all the way to the plateau. The short
      section from the plateau over the boulders to the tipity-top is
      Class 3. According to Secor (The High Sierra: Peaks, Passes, and
      Trails, The Mountaineers Books), the first ascent of Mt Conness by
      this route was by Clarence King and James Gardiner in 1866. He
      adds: "This is a very popular climb, and a use trail has appeared
      over the years." (See page 418.)

      If you would like to join me on this adventure, please send me an
      email and we can work out the details. I look forward to meeting
      you.

      Thomas Taylor
      tgtaylor7@...
      (510)742-9017 (home)