[John Muir Trail] Re: Altitude Sickness

  • plockey@austin.rr.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2004
      Thomas
      I did see a physician about the problem but in the area where I'm
      from Altitude problems are uncommon. My physician basically had to
      research the problem himself. That is where I received the drugs that
      I intend to take with me on this trip,

      Last year when I made the trip I was over 9000ft within 8 hours of
      leaving Merced and over Cathedral Pass within 24 hours. Then Donohue
      pass 24 hours later. Not really much time to acclimate. I would guess
      that after starting the slide towards the symptoms of altitude
      sickness my body was never able to recover.

      Thanks for the advice.

      Paul

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@y...>

    • ndeewoods
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2004
        I wouldn't think 4,000 is high enough to acclimate. I would suggest
        staying at Tuolumne meadows campground for a couple days...it's much
        higher and if you just kick back there it might do the trick. Those
        of us who hike high have also learned to tank up on the water for a
        couple of days ahead of time and stay really really hydrated. Hope
        this helps... Dee

      • jimr_pdx
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 6, 2004
          I agree with Dee - 4000' was not high enough for me in 1993 when I was
          stricken. I stayed the night at Bishop to avoid the heat (campgrounds
          were full), and the Pine Creek trail ruined me. I have found that a
          dayhike and camps at 8000 or higher work for me; no bouts of altitude
          sickess since that big one, other than the slight lethargy or headache
          I pretty much always get on day two. Coming from sea level, I can't
          expect to escape unscathed! [Details at granitic.net, 1993 trip.]