Volunteer to set up list of hiking plans?

    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 20, 2010
      Do people think it would be a good idea for us to all list our planned
      trips and make the plans available to all members?

      Yahoo Groups has database capabilities which requires only modest work
      in design, and almost no complications of making one entry.. I'm
      thinking we might set up one database of SoBo hikers, sorted by
      departure date and another for NoBo hikers, similarly sorted.

      Each member might enter one record, which will create one line in the
      database display

      name
      e-mail address (optional)
      departure date
      departure trailhead
      exit trailhead
      planned miles per day
      size of party
      whether you are looking for a hiking partner - Y or N
      whether you'd be wiling to have someone join you - Y or N
      Notes (for whatever you might want to add)

      That way people could find hiking partners. And those who don't want
      a partner could know who they might see ontrail.

      If the group thinks this is a good idea, is anyone willing to
      volunteer to setup the database? It will take only a little database
      design expertise - it's just a flat file database with only one sort
      field (date of departure).

      San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 20, 2010
        Alternatively, just an idea, we could have two google document spreadsheets.  I'm sure everyone is comfortable with spreadsheet manipulation.  I've never used a yahoo group database but have done shared google spreadsheet manipulation and it's really cool.  Two people can be updating the spreadsheet at the same time and one can see another cell being updated live while they're updating another cell on the spreadsheet.

        On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 3:02 PM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:

[...]

        415-648-9279

      • Barbara Karagosian

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 20, 2010
            Hum... this is interesting. I also follow the Pacific Crest Trail List where I have seen a number of warnings about NOT advertizing your hiking plans as there are people out there who will wait for you and rob you and steel your stuff. Granted, this is said to happen more where the trail may cross a road and not on the trail itself. This may be due to the PCT often crossing roads, where as the JMT does not. It may also apply more to females than to males. I just found the attitude between the two groups on this subject interesting. This is not to imply that the PCT hikers are a bunch of frightened kids, far from it. You can't do that trek without a degree of fearlessness. Perhaps cautious would be a more discriptive word.

            Amanda

            > Alternatively, just an idea, we could have two google document
            > spreadsheets. I'm sure everyone is comfortable with spreadsheet
            > manipulation. I've never used a yahoo group database but have done shared
            > google spreadsheet manipulation and it's really cool. Two people can be
            > updating the spreadsheet at the same time and one can see another cell being
            > updated live while they're updating another cell on the spreadsheet.
            >
            > On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 3:02 PM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:
            >

            > > Do people think it would be a good idea for us to all list our planned
            > > trips and make the plans available to all members?
            > >
            > > Yahoo Groups has database capabilities which requires only modest work
            > > in design, and almost no complications of making one entry.. I'm
            > > thinking we might set up one database of SoBo hikers, sorted by
            > > departure date and another for NoBo hikers, similarly sorted.
            > >
            > > Each member might enter one record, which will create one line in the
            > > database display
            > >
            > > name
            > > e-mail address (optional)
            > > departure date
            > > departure trailhead
            > > exit trailhead
            > > planned miles per day
            > > size of party
            > > whether you are looking for a hiking partner - Y or N
            > > whether you'd be wiling to have someone join you - Y or N
            > > Notes (for whatever you might want to add)
            > >
            > > That way people could find hiking partners. And those who don't want
            > > a partner could know who they might see ontrail.
            > >
            > > If the group thinks this is a good idea, is anyone willing to
            > > volunteer to setup the database? It will take only a little database
            > > design expertise - it's just a flat file database with only one sort
            > > field (date of departure).
            > >
            > > John Curran Ladd
            > > 1616 Castro Street
            > > San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
            > > 415-648-9279

          • Barbara Karagosian
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 20, 2010
              You do have a point there Amanda. Maybe there's a way of sharing a plan outline without specific details. Or maybe sharing overall dates and then people overlapping can privately message each other if they so choose.

              Barbara

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 20, 2010
                Amanda makes in interesting point.  Seems to me that theft is pretty unlikely on the JMT. Why would someone care that he was stealing my stuff, rather than someone else's stuff?

                But the PCT crowd does seem to have this reluctance about posting exact plans.

                Of course, we're not going to require members to post the information.  The bold (foolhardy?) can list.  The prudent (paranoid?) need not.

                San Francisco, CA  94114-3707
                415-648-9279

              • ed_rodriguez52@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 20, 2010
                  The only section that I was aware of any safety issue is along the border because of the illegals crossing. If you think about it the only thing a person has to do is wait along the trail to rob a PCTer after their kickoff you got major people along the trail. The JMT is so remote that it really doesn't make sense to rod someone money. That why we have the towns for. For my part I feel the safest along the JMT because every one out there has a common goal. To enjoy the great outdoors, like I point to my daughter as you backpack to stop and talk to total strangers give out your address and phone number. Made some friend on my last trip. Had 3 people called my home and talked to mt wife and told her that they come across the trail and that I was ok. But then again you do come across a jerks.

                  From: "amandahiker" <aslive@...>
                  Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 02:10:16 -0000
                  To: <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>
                  Subject: [John Muir Trail] Re: Volunteer to set up list of hiking plans?

                  Hum... this is interesting. I also follow the Pacific Crest Trail List where I have seen a number of warnings about NOT advertizing your hiking plans as there are people out there who will wait for you and rob you and steel your stuff. Granted, this is said to happen more where the trail may cross a road and not on the trail itself. This may be due to the PCT often crossing roads, where as the JMT does not. It may also apply more to females than to males. I just found the attitude between the two groups on this subject interesting. This is not to imply that the PCT hikers are a bunch of frightened kids, far from it. You can't do that trek without a degree of fearlessness. Perhaps cautious would be a more discriptive word.

                  Amanda

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@... > wrote:

                  > Alternatively, just an idea, we could have two google document
                  > spreadsheets. I'm sure everyone is comfortable with spreadsheet
                  > manipulation. I've never used a yahoo group database but have done shared
                  > google spreadsheet manipulation and it's really cool. Two people can be
                  > updating the spreadsheet at the same time and one can see another cell being
                  > updated live while they're updating another cell on the spreadsheet.
                  >
                  > On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 3:02 PM, John Ladd <johnladd@.. .> wrote:
                  >

                  > > Do people think it would be a good idea for us to all list our planned
                  > > trips and make the plans available to all members?
                  > >
                  > > Yahoo Groups has database capabilities which requires only modest work
                  > > in design, and almost no complications of making one entry.. I'm
                  > > thinking we might set up one database of SoBo hikers, sorted by
                  > > departure date and another for NoBo hikers, similarly sorted.
                  > >
                  > > Each member might enter one record, which will create one line in the
                  > > database display
                  > >
                  > > name
                  > > e-mail address (optional)
                  > > departure date
                  > > departure trailhead
                  > > exit trailhead
                  > > planned miles per day
                  > > size of party
                  > > whether you are looking for a hiking partner - Y or N
                  > > whether you'd be wiling to have someone join you - Y or N
                  > > Notes (for whatever you might want to add)
                  > >
                  > > That way people could find hiking partners. And those who don't want
                  > > a partner could know who they might see ontrail.
                  > >
                  > > If the group thinks this is a good idea, is anyone willing to
                  > > volunteer to setup the database? It will take only a little database
                  > > design expertise - it's just a flat file database with only one sort
                  > > field (date of departure).
                  > >
                  > > John Curran Ladd
                  > > 1616 Castro Street
                  > > San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
                  > > 415-648-9279

                • Jean Dickinson
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 20, 2010
                    I think the road aspect is key. I always feel less safe when hiking solo, if I am within easy walking of the trailhead. I've never had that fear, however, on the JMT. At the same time, I'm careful about revealing exactly where I'm camping that night when meeting men I don't know on the trail because I feel more vulnerable as a woman alone. However, I wouldn't hesitate to reveal my travel plans on this list, because 1) it's always an approximate designation, at best and 2) the reality of actually meeting those of you whose posts I enjoy, if it actually happened, would be such a pleasure.
                    Jean

                    To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                    From: aslive@...
                    Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 02:10:16 +0000

                    Hum... this is interesting. I also follow the Pacific Crest Trail List where I have seen a number of warnings about NOT advertizing your hiking plans as there are people out there who will wait for you and rob you and steel your stuff. Granted, this is said to happen more where the trail may cross a road and not on the trail itself. This may be due to the PCT often crossing roads, where as the JMT does not. It may also apply more to females than to males. I just found the attitude between the two groups on this subject interesting. This is not to imply that the PCT hikers are a bunch of frightened kids, far from it. You can't do that trek without a degree of fearlessness. Perhaps cautious would be a more discriptive word.

                    Amanda

                    --- In johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@... > wrote:

                    > Alternatively, just an idea, we could have two google document
                    > spreadsheets. I'm sure everyone is comfortable with spreadsheet
                    > manipulation. I've never used a yahoo group database but have done shared
                    > google spreadsheet manipulation and it's really cool. Two people can be
                    > updating the spreadsheet at the same time and one can see another cell being
                    > updated live while they're updating another cell on the spreadsheet.
                    >
                    > On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 3:02 PM, John Ladd <johnladd@.. .> wrote:
                    >

                    > > Do people think it would be a good idea for us to all list our planned
                    > > trips and make the plans available to all members?
                    > >
                    > > Yahoo Groups has database capabilities which requires only modest work
                    > > in design, and almost no complications of making one entry.. I'm
                    > > thinking we might set up one database of SoBo hikers, sorted by
                    > > departure date and another for NoBo hikers, similarly sorted.
                    > >
                    > > Each member might enter one record, which will create one line in the
                    > > database display
                    > >
                    > > name
                    > > e-mail address (optional)
                    > > departure date
                    > > departure trailhead
                    > > exit trailhead
                    > > planned miles per day
                    > > size of party
                    > > whether you are looking for a hiking partner - Y or N
                    > > whether you'd be wiling to have someone join you - Y or N
                    > > Notes (for whatever you might want to add)
                    > >
                    > > That way people could find hiking partners. And those who don't want
                    > > a partner could know who they might see ontrail.
                    > >
                    > > If the group thinks this is a good idea, is anyone willing to
                    > > volunteer to setup the database? It will take only a little database
                    > > design expertise - it's just a flat file database with only one sort
                    > > field (date of departure).
                    > >
                    > > John Curran Ladd
                    > > 1616 Castro Street
                    > > San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
                    > > 415-648-9279

                  • Dan Kronstadt
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 21, 2010
                      Someone said once you were safe if you were beyond "cooler distance" from a trail head - that is, further away than someone would carry a cooler full of beer.

                      Dan

                      Jean Dickinson wrote:
                      I think the road aspect is key. I always feel less safe when hiking solo, if I am within easy walking of the trailhead. I've never had that fear, however, on the JMT. At the same time, I'm careful about revealing exactly where I'm camping that night when meeting men I don't know on the trail because I feel more vulnerable as a woman alone. However, I wouldn't hesitate to reveal my travel plans on this list, because 1) it's always an approximate designation, at best and 2) the reality of actually meeting those of you whose posts I enjoy, if it actually happened, would be such a pleasure.
                      Jean
                    • Peter Burke
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 21, 2010
                        as long as that pink line on these snow water content graphs keeps
                        shooting up, I definitely can't put a date on our 2010 hike (the lower
                        two are the ones that matter for the JMT)

                        http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/snow/PLOT_SWC

                        the last few days really have turned the tide for the season, and the
                        way it looks it will keep climbing for a while.

                        we hope to hit the JMT in late June or early July, but if there is
                        significantly more snow than in '09 we may delay by a week or more.
                      • ed_rodriguez52@yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 21, 2010
                          Thanks John, this link was very helpful. Have to go back brake out my maps and take a close at my itinerary and rethink my menu. Now the BIG question I have how is at what elevation would the snow start to slow me down. I remember back in 96 I camp out near the south side of Forester Pass I hike 12 hours that day and cover 8.5 miles and 8 of the 12 hours was in the snow.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 21, 2010
                            Ed, what time of the year was that?  How did you feel you should have dressed or packed that day?

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 21, 2010

                              There’s a long time to go between now and June – with all kinds of weather in between.  Last year was dry until an ongoing rain in late May / early June as I recall – which really perked up the mosquitoes.  Tho it is an El Nino year – so I guess a wet one…..and I just hate stream crossings involving logs and boulders….Barbara

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 21, 2010
                                When we went in '82 there had been a big storm in January and several late Spring storms. We started Aug 1 and had snow on most passes. At Donahue we just went up the rocks because the north side was solid snow. South side of Muir Pass, Aug 14 was solid snow until below the lakes. Forester had a snow bank at the start of the upper basin. Trail Crest was clear, Aug 25.

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 21, 2010
                                  If I recall it was late June. My pack weight to much. When I got into Bishop I send 12 lbs back home (this was the time before I discovered light weight). The north face of Forester pass had 4 to 5 foot snow cups which really slow me down. If I remember I had a down vest (which I lost) now am thinking of what else I need to buy to keep me warm when I reach my camp. I have a fleece jacket, but if I wear that it will get wet or damp. I do sweat a lot. So might get a down vest or jacket for camp.
                                • Peter Burke
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jan 22, 2010
                                    Barbara Karagosian wrote:

                                    > ..and I just hate stream crossings involving logs and boulders….Barbara

                                    hmm, where do you cross instead? I can't think of many crossings that
                                    don't involve logs and boulders ;-)

                                    I hate the 20 minutes you lose at each wet crossing, and last year we
                                    had some days we needed to take off our boots 5 times or moer.

                                    The snow pack was high last July because most of June had no sunlight,
                                    so the melt was delayed by a few weeks over normal. There are so many
                                    factors that affect the runoff, you really won't know until mid June how
                                    bad it is going to be.