Permits?

  • JimSerio
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31, 2004
      Hi Everyone.

      This is my first post to this list. I'm planning a southbound hike
      starting around July 27 and lasting for 2.5-3 weeks. There will be
      about 4-6 of us and we haven't yet gotten a permit. Will it still be
      possible for me to get a permit ahead of time or are we pretty much
      dependant on getting our permit the day we begin? If we can still
      get them ahead of time, would this site be the one to use:

      https://www.yosemitesecure.org/wildpermit/default.htm

      Any recommendations on other places to (preferably) call? If we're
      out of luck on reservations, what are our odds for a walk-up permit
      (4-6) people on or around July 27? Where would we get the permit?

      Thanks in advance for any assistance.

      Jim
    • thomas taylor
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2004
        You shouldn't have a problem getting a reservation for
        the end of July IF you apply now.

        If for some reason you are unable to reserve by email,
        the park service reserves about 25% of the trail quota
        each day for walk-ins. In that case, and if you start
        in the valley, plan to be at the wilderness center
        (next to the post office and Ansel Adams Center)
        before they open the door (7am if I remember
        correctly). Same procedure if you start from another
        location: Be at the issuing location before they
        open.

        Have a great trip! I live in the Bay Area and have
        been in Yosemite each weekend for the past three
        weekends and can report that as of Memorial Day
        weekend the mosequitos are now out.

        --- JimSerio <jim@...> wrote:
        > Hi Everyone.
        >
        > This is my first post to this list. I'm planning a
        > southbound hike
        > starting around July 27 and lasting for 2.5-3 weeks.
        > There will be
        > about 4-6 of us and we haven't yet gotten a permit.
        > Will it still be
        > possible for me to get a permit ahead of time or are
        > we pretty much
        > dependant on getting our permit the day we begin? If
        > we can still
        > get them ahead of time, would this site be the one
        > to use:

        https://www.yosemitesecure.org/wildpermit/default.htm

        > Any recommendations on other places to (preferably)
        > call? If we're
        > out of luck on reservations, what are our odds for a
        > walk-up permit
        > (4-6) people on or around July 27? Where would we
        > get the permit?
        >
        > Thanks in advance for any assistance.
        >
        > Jim

        =====