Re: Altitude Sickness

  • plockey@austin.rr.com
    Message 1 of 8 , May 31, 2004
      Bill
      Last year I started at Yosemite Valley with the intention of heading
      south to Mt. Whitney. I live in Austin, Texas (~600ft of elevation).
      The trip started out fine spending the night near Sunrise. The next
      day I started feeling not so well after crossing Cathedral pass. By
      the time we made Tuolumne Meadows, that day I was just about
      finished. I puked for about the last 3 miles into camp. The next
      morning all was well until the accent of Donohue Pass. We spent the
      night near Waugh Lake and I exited the trail at Silver Lake that day.
      I would guess that my problem is at roughly 11,000 ft.

      This year we do intend to spend a day and a half in Yosemite Valley.
      I hope it helps because I intend to make the entire trip regardless
      if I have to puke all the way down the trail. I hope that does not
      happen. I plan to take the drugs with me but would rather not use
      them unless I feel the effects of the altitude.

      I'm glad to hear about your friend's success in her return trip to
      the JMT. I'm hoping for a similar experience.

      Paul

    • Craig
      Message 2 of 8 , May 31, 2004
        Howdy Paul,
        You may want to try Ginko Biloba. There are a few studies that show it
        helps some and I gave it a tried last fall with possible success when I
        went up to Mt. Tyndall. I drove from the flatlands (Redlands, ca) to
        the Shepheards pass trail head ( around 5000+ I think ) then up to the
        Anvil Camp ( 10,000 ) in an afternoon and evening. The next day up
        Shepherds pass and to the base of Tyndall ( almost to 13,000 I think)
        and had no ill effects at all. No headache or nausea. The pass was
        tough in the snow but...that's another story.

        Of course, I can't say I would have had problems without it but what the
        heck. Don't hurt nuthin'.

        Here's an online resource you may want to look at:
        http://www.high-altitude-medicine.com/

        Climb safe,
        Craig

        "If we can't have fun at least we can suffer" Conrad Anker

        http://www.mountainknowledge.com - Know your mountain.

        Paul, you didn't say at what altitude you had a problem or how
        quickly you reached that altitude. Let me offer an encouraging
        story:

        Several years ago, I day hiked Mt. Whitney with a group of friends.
        One person started having problems (vomiting) on the switchbacks.
        Her husband stayed with her while the rest of the group summited.
        Amazingly she was able to summit (may not have been the smartest
        thing to do), and she was still puking all the way down to the
        bathrooms at high camp. At that point she started feeling better,
        and was strong the rest of the hike.

        A couple of years later, she, her husband and I, through hiked the
        JMT north to south. We spent 2 nights in Yosemite Valley before we
        started. She was fine going over the early passes (Cathedral,
        Donohue) and, by the time we reached Whitney, she was roaring up the
        mountain with absolutely no altitude problems.

        May you find the same success acclimating! My understanding is that
        altitude problems are a combination of being in shape (my friend was
        in great shape just like you) and genetic predisposition. Perhaps
        if you start in the North, you might find you do not need the
        drugs. (I have no experience with the drugs).

        Best of luck to you! Enjoy your hike.
        Bill

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, plockey@a... wrote:
        > I just joined the group and thought I'd say hi. My friend Brian
        and I
        > are leaving for the JMT on July 18. I was out that way last summer
        > and had some problems with altitude sickness. I will be
        experimenting
        > with diamox and nifedipine. That combined with an off-season
        > conditioning program that could win some a place on a pro sports
        > team, I hope will give me a good trip on the trail. I'm planning
        an
        > Alaska trip next summer and it might include even greater
        altitude.
        > Has anyone on this group had any experience with altitude sickness?
        >
        > Paul

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        ---
        [This E-mail scanned for viruses]

        ---
        [This E-mail scanned for viruses]
      • thomas taylor
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2004
          Paul,

          Before you go, check with you physician as to the
          reason you're sensitive to altitude. Every year
          rescues are needed(usually at night)for people with an
          underlying physical condition that suddenly becomes
          acute with the altidude. Dont be one of them. Find
          out now what the problem is.

          The reason that I'm making this recommendation is
          because if you were in decent physical condition and
          started from the valley (4000'), you should have been
          aclimated to the altitude by the time you started
          hitting the passes.

          =====
          Best regards,

          Thomas

          Thomas Taylor
          tgtaylor7@...
          http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
        • plockey@austin.rr.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 1, 2004
            Thomas
            I did see a physician about the problem but in the area where I'm
            from Altitude problems are uncommon. My physician basically had to
            research the problem himself. That is where I received the drugs that
            I intend to take with me on this trip,

            Last year when I made the trip I was over 9000ft within 8 hours of
            leaving Merced and over Cathedral Pass within 24 hours. Then Donohue
            pass 24 hours later. Not really much time to acclimate. I would guess
            that after starting the slide towards the symptoms of altitude
            sickness my body was never able to recover.

            Thanks for the advice.

            Paul

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@y...>

          • ndeewoods
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 1, 2004
              I wouldn't think 4,000 is high enough to acclimate. I would suggest
              staying at Tuolumne meadows campground for a couple days...it's much
              higher and if you just kick back there it might do the trick. Those
              of us who hike high have also learned to tank up on the water for a
              couple of days ahead of time and stay really really hydrated. Hope
              this helps... Dee

            • jimr_pdx
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 6, 2004
                I agree with Dee - 4000' was not high enough for me in 1993 when I was
                stricken. I stayed the night at Bishop to avoid the heat (campgrounds
                were full), and the Pine Creek trail ruined me. I have found that a
                dayhike and camps at 8000 or higher work for me; no bouts of altitude
                sickess since that big one, other than the slight lethargy or headache
                I pretty much always get on day two. Coming from sea level, I can't
                expect to escape unscathed! [Details at granitic.net, 1993 trip.]