Re: Altitude Sickness

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 8 , May 31, 2004
      Paul, you didn't say at what altitude you had a problem or how
      quickly you reached that altitude. Let me offer an encouraging
      story:

      Several years ago, I day hiked Mt. Whitney with a group of friends.
      One person started having problems (vomiting) on the switchbacks.
      Her husband stayed with her while the rest of the group summited.
      Amazingly she was able to summit (may not have been the smartest
      thing to do), and she was still puking all the way down to the
      bathrooms at high camp. At that point she started feeling better,
      and was strong the rest of the hike.

      A couple of years later, she, her husband and I, through hiked the
      JMT north to south. We spent 2 nights in Yosemite Valley before we
      started. She was fine going over the early passes (Cathedral,
      Donohue) and, by the time we reached Whitney, she was roaring up the
      mountain with absolutely no altitude problems.

      May you find the same success acclimating! My understanding is that
      altitude problems are a combination of being in shape (my friend was
      in great shape just like you) and genetic predisposition. Perhaps
      if you start in the North, you might find you do not need the
      drugs. (I have no experience with the drugs).

      Best of luck to you! Enjoy your hike.
      Bill

    • plockey@austin.rr.com
      Message 2 of 8 , May 31, 2004
        Bill
        Last year I started at Yosemite Valley with the intention of heading
        south to Mt. Whitney. I live in Austin, Texas (~600ft of elevation).
        The trip started out fine spending the night near Sunrise. The next
        day I started feeling not so well after crossing Cathedral pass. By
        the time we made Tuolumne Meadows, that day I was just about
        finished. I puked for about the last 3 miles into camp. The next
        morning all was well until the accent of Donohue Pass. We spent the
        night near Waugh Lake and I exited the trail at Silver Lake that day.
        I would guess that my problem is at roughly 11,000 ft.

        This year we do intend to spend a day and a half in Yosemite Valley.
        I hope it helps because I intend to make the entire trip regardless
        if I have to puke all the way down the trail. I hope that does not
        happen. I plan to take the drugs with me but would rather not use
        them unless I feel the effects of the altitude.

        I'm glad to hear about your friend's success in her return trip to
        the JMT. I'm hoping for a similar experience.

        Paul

      • Craig
        Message 3 of 8 , May 31, 2004
          Howdy Paul,
          You may want to try Ginko Biloba. There are a few studies that show it
          helps some and I gave it a tried last fall with possible success when I
          went up to Mt. Tyndall. I drove from the flatlands (Redlands, ca) to
          the Shepheards pass trail head ( around 5000+ I think ) then up to the
          Anvil Camp ( 10,000 ) in an afternoon and evening. The next day up
          Shepherds pass and to the base of Tyndall ( almost to 13,000 I think)
          and had no ill effects at all. No headache or nausea. The pass was
          tough in the snow but...that's another story.

          Of course, I can't say I would have had problems without it but what the
          heck. Don't hurt nuthin'.

          Here's an online resource you may want to look at:
          http://www.high-altitude-medicine.com/

          Climb safe,
          Craig

          "If we can't have fun at least we can suffer" Conrad Anker

          http://www.mountainknowledge.com - Know your mountain.

          Paul, you didn't say at what altitude you had a problem or how
          quickly you reached that altitude. Let me offer an encouraging
          story:

          Several years ago, I day hiked Mt. Whitney with a group of friends.
          One person started having problems (vomiting) on the switchbacks.
          Her husband stayed with her while the rest of the group summited.
          Amazingly she was able to summit (may not have been the smartest
          thing to do), and she was still puking all the way down to the
          bathrooms at high camp. At that point she started feeling better,
          and was strong the rest of the hike.

          A couple of years later, she, her husband and I, through hiked the
          JMT north to south. We spent 2 nights in Yosemite Valley before we
          started. She was fine going over the early passes (Cathedral,
          Donohue) and, by the time we reached Whitney, she was roaring up the
          mountain with absolutely no altitude problems.

          May you find the same success acclimating! My understanding is that
          altitude problems are a combination of being in shape (my friend was
          in great shape just like you) and genetic predisposition. Perhaps
          if you start in the North, you might find you do not need the
          drugs. (I have no experience with the drugs).

          Best of luck to you! Enjoy your hike.
          Bill

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, plockey@a... wrote:
          > I just joined the group and thought I'd say hi. My friend Brian
          and I
          > are leaving for the JMT on July 18. I was out that way last summer
          > and had some problems with altitude sickness. I will be
          experimenting
          > with diamox and nifedipine. That combined with an off-season
          > conditioning program that could win some a place on a pro sports
          > team, I hope will give me a good trip on the trail. I'm planning
          an
          > Alaska trip next summer and it might include even greater
          altitude.
          > Has anyone on this group had any experience with altitude sickness?
          >
          > Paul

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          ---
          [This E-mail scanned for viruses]

          ---
          [This E-mail scanned for viruses]
        • thomas taylor
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 1 7:26 AM
            Paul,

            Before you go, check with you physician as to the
            reason you're sensitive to altitude. Every year
            rescues are needed(usually at night)for people with an
            underlying physical condition that suddenly becomes
            acute with the altidude. Dont be one of them. Find
            out now what the problem is.

            The reason that I'm making this recommendation is
            because if you were in decent physical condition and
            started from the valley (4000'), you should have been
            aclimated to the altitude by the time you started
            hitting the passes.

            =====
            Best regards,

            Thomas

            Thomas Taylor
            tgtaylor7@...
            http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
          • plockey@austin.rr.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 1 8:51 AM
              Thomas
              I did see a physician about the problem but in the area where I'm
              from Altitude problems are uncommon. My physician basically had to
              research the problem himself. That is where I received the drugs that
              I intend to take with me on this trip,

              Last year when I made the trip I was over 9000ft within 8 hours of
              leaving Merced and over Cathedral Pass within 24 hours. Then Donohue
              pass 24 hours later. Not really much time to acclimate. I would guess
              that after starting the slide towards the symptoms of altitude
              sickness my body was never able to recover.

              Thanks for the advice.

              Paul

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@y...>

            • ndeewoods
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 1 11:00 PM
                I wouldn't think 4,000 is high enough to acclimate. I would suggest
                staying at Tuolumne meadows campground for a couple days...it's much
                higher and if you just kick back there it might do the trick. Those
                of us who hike high have also learned to tank up on the water for a
                couple of days ahead of time and stay really really hydrated. Hope
                this helps... Dee

              • jimr_pdx
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 6 7:31 PM
                  I agree with Dee - 4000' was not high enough for me in 1993 when I was
                  stricken. I stayed the night at Bishop to avoid the heat (campgrounds
                  were full), and the Pine Creek trail ruined me. I have found that a
                  dayhike and camps at 8000 or higher work for me; no bouts of altitude
                  sickess since that big one, other than the slight lethargy or headache
                  I pretty much always get on day two. Coming from sea level, I can't
                  expect to escape unscathed! [Details at granitic.net, 1993 trip.]