bear spray

  • andrew mendyk
    Message 1 of 5 , May 14, 2004
      yo,

      relatively new to the group here but have been reading
      posts from the peanut gallery for a couple of weeks
      now. i am hiking the JMT this august, most of it
      solo, and am wondering if i should bring some bear
      deterent spray. have never had problems with bears in
      the encounters i have had. but i have heard that the
      sierra bears can be aggresive at times. does anybody
      in have experience with bear spray or encounters?
      maybe not with just bear but cougar as well?

      i hate to take the spray, prevention is best, but i
      also want to return home in one piece.

      andy

      =====
      "Only a fool is sure of anything, a wise man keeps on guessing."
      -MacGyver

      http://promo.yahoo.com/sbc/
    • ndeewoods
      Message 2 of 5 , May 14, 2004
        It's not something I ever felt I needed in 35 years hiking in the
        Sierra. Put your food in bear cans and don't worry about it. Bears
        won't bother you, only your food. Have a great trip!Dee
        -- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, andrew mendyk
        <andrewmendyk@y...> wrote:
        > yo,
        >
        > relatively new to the group here but have been reading
        > posts from the peanut gallery for a couple of weeks
        > now. i am hiking the JMT this august, most of it
        > solo, and am wondering if i should bring some bear
        > deterent spray. have never had problems with bears in
        > the encounters i have had. but i have heard that the
        > sierra bears can be aggresive at times. does anybody
        > in have experience with bear spray or encounters?
        > maybe not with just bear but cougar as well?
        >
        > i hate to take the spray, prevention is best, but i
        > also want to return home in one piece.
        >
        > andy
        >
        > =====
        > "Only a fool is sure of anything, a wise man keeps on guessing."
        > -MacGyver

        > http://promo.yahoo.com/sbc/
      • Ed Lulofs
        Message 3 of 5 , May 15, 2004
          Estimated 50,000 bears in the sierras.
          Maybe 1 or 2 are shot every year because they are aggressive.
          And that is only because people don't use bear cannisters.
          You are in much worse and real danger from lighting.
          And the sprays are 2 pounds!
          Ed
          > Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 11:21:13 -0700 (PDT)
          > From: andrew mendyk <andrewmendyk@...>
          > Subject: bear spray
          > relatively new to the group here but have been reading
          > posts from the peanut gallery for a couple of weeks
          > now. i am hiking the JMT this august, most of it
          > solo, and am wondering if i should bring some bear
          > deterent spray. have never had problems with bears in
          > the encounters i have had. but i have heard that the
          > sierra bears can be aggresive at times. does anybody
          > in have experience with bear spray or encounters?
          > maybe not with just bear but cougar as well?
          >
          > i hate to take the spray, prevention is best, but i
          > also want to return home in one piece.
        • thomas taylor
          Message 4 of 5 , May 17, 2004
            I second that.

            Most of the JMT is above the tree line. You probably
            wont even see a bear, much less a mountain lion. In
            fact, I hiked up to Glen Aulin in Yosemite this
            weekend without seeing a single bear. (This is a
            great hike along the beautiful Tuolumne river that
            passes several spectacular waterfalls. (And NO
            mosquito's-yet.)

            The black bear is not aggressive unless, of course,
            you mess with them. Once while day-hiking towards
            mirror lake in the valley, a juvenile bear walked
            across the trail in front of me foraging for food. I
            wanted to get a good photo but every time I started to
            pull the trigger, he'd turn his back to me. I kept
            getting closer and closer which pissed him off and he
            turned and false-charged me. That's when I got his
            picture with his little beaty eyes looking up straight
            in the camera. After I got the shot I turned and
            walked about 3 steps away and looked back and he was
            back foraging.

            Forget about the bear spray. Where you will run into
            bears is at organized campgrounds. But they'll be
            enough people banging pots, etc, that you can just sit
            back and enjoy the show.

            With respect to the lions, I carry a knife readily
            accessible in my back pocket in the unlikely chance
            that we cross paths unexpectedly. If the 'charge,' if
            won't be a false charge and you'll have to fight them
            off. I have never see a lion in Yosemite back country
            but I have seen a large lion moving very slow up a
            stream bed near lower Yosemite falls parking lot
            (right off the road by the bridge) early one Sunday
            morning. I was packing a 6x7 medium format camera and
            wouldn't be able to get it out of the pack and set up
            to get a shot so just contented myself by following
            him up the stream a ways. He didn't even look at me -
            just had his mind fixed on something up-stream.
            --- Ed Lulofs <elulofs@...> wrote:
            > Estimated 50,000 bears in the sierras.
            > Maybe 1 or 2 are shot every year because they are
            > aggressive.
            > And that is only because people don't use bear
            > cannisters.
            > You are in much worse and real danger from lighting.
            > And the sprays are 2 pounds!
            > Ed
            > > Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 11:21:13 -0700 (PDT)
            > > From: andrew mendyk <andrewmendyk@...>
            > > Subject: bear spray
            > > relatively new to the group here but have been
            > reading
            > > posts from the peanut gallery for a couple of
            > weeks
            > > now. i am hiking the JMT this august, most of it
            > > solo, and am wondering if i should bring some bear
            > > deterent spray. have never had problems with
            > bears in
            > > the encounters i have had. but i have heard that
            > the
            > > sierra bears can be aggresive at times. does
            > anybody
            > > in have experience with bear spray or encounters?
            > > maybe not with just bear but cougar as well?
            > >
            > > i hate to take the spray, prevention is best, but
            > > also want to return home in one piece.

            =====
            Best regards,

            Thomas

            Thomas Taylor
            tgtaylor7@...
            http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
          • Mike Pust
            Message 5 of 5 , May 17, 2004
              Not that there are any in CA, but I understand that
              grizzly consider bear spray to be a condiment.