Solar Chargers

  • amandahiker
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 12, 2010
      Okay, so now I am thinking about bring a solar charger with me to keep my camera charged as I traverse the JMT. I have been looking at REI's Solio chargers, particularly the Classic, Magnesium and the Focus SolorMio Charger. My thinking is that I can suspend the charger from the rear of my backpack as I hike during the day and then charge my camera in the evening at camp.

      The Focus is twice the weight of the other two and charges in only three hours. The Magnesium and the classic seem to have different storage capacities (possibly designed for different devices with different power requirements) with the Classis rated output at 4 - 12 volts at 0-1 amp and the Magnesium output being 1.5 - 8 volts with 0.83 watts/165mA at 6 volts. I guess I can look at my camera and make some decisions about power needs. The Magnesium is also more expensive than the Classic, as is the Focus.

      So what are people using, perhaps a different brand all together? Also, as I will be hiking southbound, the sun will not be shining onto the solar collection panels. Looking at the customer comments, this looks as if it may be a problem, indirect light not charging the units too well. Any thoughts or experience as to this? How about using aluminum foil to shape a reflector that might redirect light into the collector panels?

      As always your thought, logical deductions and experience is greatly appreciated :)

      Amanda
    • Peter Burke
      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 12, 2010
        amandahiker wrote:

        > Okay, so now I am thinking about bring a solar charger with me to keep
        > my camera charged as I traverse the JMT. I have been looking at REI's
        > Solio chargers, particularly the Classic, Magnesium and the Focus
        > SolorMio Charger. My thinking is that I can suspend the charger from
        > the rear of my backpack as I hike during the day and then charge my
        > camera in the evening at camp.
        >
        > The Focus is twice the weight of the other two and charges in only
        > three hours. The Magnesium and the classic seem to have different
        > storage capacities (possibly designed for different devices with
        > different power requirements) with the Classis rated output at 4 - 12
        > volts at 0-1 amp and the Magnesium output being 1.5 - 8 volts with
        > 0.83 watts/165mA at 6 volts. I guess I can look at my camera and make
        > some decisions about power needs. The Magnesium is also more expensive
        > than the Classic, as is the Focus.
        >
        > So what are people using, perhaps a different brand all together?
        > Also, as I will be hiking southbound, the sun will not be shining onto
        > the solar collection panels. Looking at the customer comments, this
        > looks as if it may be a problem, indirect light not charging the units
        > too well. Any thoughts or experience as to this? How about using
        > aluminum foil to shape a reflector that might redirect light into the
        > collector panels?
        >
        > As always your thought, logical deductions and experience is greatly
        > appreciated :)
        >
        > Amanda

        Because I needed to charge an HD camera and GPS and a few other things I
        went all out and bought what was reviewed as one of the best solar
        chargers back in 2008 - I own a $400 Brunton Solar Roll, and I think it
        was the most useless gear investment in a long time. Unless you like to
        sit around for hours during the middle of the day and point the charger
        in the direction of the sun, then carry all that additional weight, just
        go and get a camera that uses AA batteries and put a few AA lithiums in
        your resupply box mid trail. I even have an external AA Lithium power
        supply for my HD camera (DIY job) and a lithium power unit for my iPod.
        For SLR cameras that don't use AA, I just buy additional batteries on
        ebay, and put those in the resupply (about $10 each for my Nikon, cheap
        enough to ignore if you can't pick up the resupply when plans change).

        Even on the 4 square foot Brunton charger, it takes HOURS to charge two
        AA batteries. These things are meant for people in base camps on
        Everest who can put a few of these on top of their tents and forget
        about them. If you're hiking on a daily schedule, especially southbound
        where the solar charger on the back of your pack is in the shade all the
        time, you simply won't get anything charged unless you spend the hours
        of max solar radiation put in one place.

        These things just are too much hassle compared to having a full long
        lasting battery ready to replace the dead one. I am definitely done with
        solar chargers until they are a fraction of the current size and put out
        a lot more amps.

        Peter
      • jeff.hester
        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 12, 2010
          Amanda,

          I don't have a solar charger, but have been researching the same. Incidently, SOLIO chargers can also be found on Amazon.

          An interesting alternative to solar chargers was just announced last week at CES. The
          YoGen mobile device charger is effectively a hand-held alternator with a pull cord. The advantage over solar is that you can charge anytime (night time or a cloudy day). It's a little new though, so I'm hoping to wait to hear some field test results. http://www.yogenstore.com/products.html

          Jeff Hester - Thru-hiking the JMT in August 2010

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "amandahiker" <aslive@...> wrote:

          > Okay, so now I am thinking about bring a solar charger with me to keep my camera charged as I traverse the JMT. I have been looking at REI's Solio chargers, particularly the Classic, Magnesium and the Focus SolorMio Charger. My thinking is that I can suspend the charger from the rear of my backpack as I hike during the day and then charge my camera in the evening at camp.
          >
          > The Focus is twice the weight of the other two and charges in only three hours. The Magnesium and the classic seem to have different storage capacities (possibly designed for different devices with different power requirements) with the Classis rated output at 4 - 12 volts at 0-1 amp and the Magnesium output being 1.5 - 8 volts with 0.83 watts/165mA at 6 volts. I guess I can look at my camera and make some decisions about power needs. The Magnesium is also more expensive than the Classic, as is the Focus.
          >
          > So what are people using, perhaps a different brand all together? Also, as I will be hiking southbound, the sun will not be shining onto the solar collection panels. Looking at the customer comments, this looks as if it may be a problem, indirect light not charging the units too well. Any thoughts or experience as to this? How about using aluminum foil to shape a reflector that might redirect light into the collector panels?
          >
          > As always your thought, logical deductions and experience is greatly appreciated :)
          >
          > Amanda

        • John
          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 12, 2010
            Hi Amanda

            I have no experience with solar chargers (other than the ones on my house). I have noticed that most PCT thru hikers have them on the TOP of their packs.

            With that said, I shot Walk the Sky (and other projects) without a charger. An extra battery or two may get you through. See how many images you can get out of a battery, then figure out how many shots you might want to take along your trip. I've never needed a charger and regularly do trips up to three weeks.

            John Dittli
            www.johndittli.com

            John
            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "amandahiker" <aslive@...> wrote:

            > Okay, so now I am thinking about bring a solar charger with me to keep my camera charged as I traverse the JMT. I have been looking at REI's Solio chargers, particularly the Classic, Magnesium and the Focus SolorMio Charger. My thinking is that I can suspend the charger from the rear of my backpack as I hike during the day and then charge my camera in the evening at camp.
            >
            > The Focus is twice the weight of the other two and charges in only three hours. The Magnesium and the classic seem to have different storage capacities (possibly designed for different devices with different power requirements) with the Classis rated output at 4 - 12 volts at 0-1 amp and the Magnesium output being 1.5 - 8 volts with 0.83 watts/165mA at 6 volts. I guess I can look at my camera and make some decisions about power needs. The Magnesium is also more expensive than the Classic, as is the Focus.
            >
            > So what are people using, perhaps a different brand all together? Also, as I will be hiking southbound, the sun will not be shining onto the solar collection panels. Looking at the customer comments, this looks as if it may be a problem, indirect light not charging the units too well. Any thoughts or experience as to this? How about using aluminum foil to shape a reflector that might redirect light into the collector panels?
            >
            > As always your thought, logical deductions and experience is greatly appreciated :)
            >
            > Amanda

          • Barbara Karagosian
            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 12, 2010
              Hi Peter, what's the lithium power unit you have for your iPhone?  I have a charger for mine that runs off 2 lithium batteries (Adventurer, something).  But
              what with batteries for camera, Steripen, iPhone (or some iPod version), GPS unit, it's getting rather crazy!

              Barbara

              Message 6 of 29 , Jan 12, 2010
                Barbara Karagosian wrote:

                > Hi Peter, what's the lithium power unit you have for your iPhone? I
                > have a charger for mine that runs off 2 lithium batteries (Adventurer,
                > something). But
                > what with batteries for camera, Steripen, iPhone (or some iPod
                > version), GPS unit, it's getting rather crazy!
                >
                > Barbara

                it's for the iPod - Energizer makes it. $12 on amazon. Have to look it
                up, but it pretty much is a plastic battery holder for two AA lithiums
                and it plugs into the iPod power port.

                http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Energi-Charger-Lithium-Batteries/dp/B0016LWQGS

                mine works fine on a first gen video ipod with 60gb drive, but I'd have
                to look up the setting on the little voltage dial on the bottom of it.
                It can fit many different units, but not all of them. I don't think it
                works on an iPhone.

                AA lithiums are good enough to power the SPOT for an entire 4 week hike,
                while in my GPS they work for about 48 hours or 4 days (regular AA
                alkalines go for about 18 hours). They weigh less than alkalines, too. I
                bought a 40 pack on ebay last year and plan to do the same this year
                again. They work in my headlights, etc.

                Peter
              • Barbara Karagosian
                Message 7 of 29 , Jan 12, 2010
                  Hi Peter,  that sounds like the charger I have too. Works great with a Nano or iTouch but maybe not for an iPhone. Yeah, add a Spot to the list too. I bought a bunch of lithiums on line last year- from a company recommended on the Steripen site. Much cheaper that way. Put them in my resupplies. Only thing that sucked them up was the Steripen, due to it's personal issues. Thanks for the info re yr experience of battery use per item. Useful to know.

                  Barbara

                  On Jan 12, 2010, at 9:47 AM, Peter Burke <pburke@...> wrote:

                  mething). But > what with batteries for camera, Steripen, iPhone (or some iPod > version), GPS unit, it's getting rather crazy! > > Barbarait's for the iPod - Energizer makes it. $12 on amazon. Have to look it up, but it pretty much is a plastic battery holder for two AA lithiums and it plugs into the iPod power port.http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Energi-Charger-Lithium-Batteries/dp/B0016LWQGSmine works fine on a first gen video ipod with 60gb drive, but I'd have to look up the setting on the little voltage dial on the bottom of it. It can fit many different units, but not all of them. I don't think it works on an iPhone.AA lithiums are good enough to power the SPOT for an entire 4 week hike, while in my GPS they work for about 48 hours or 4 days (regular AA alkalines go for about 18 hours). They weigh less than alkalines, too. I bought a 40 pack on ebay last year and plan to do the same this year again. They work in my headlights, etc.Peter--n1ZQnrV3YMX-dwqOLj988Q673WHGVEeimikQ1lq Content-Type: text/html; charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

                  Barbara Karagosian wrote:

                  > Hi Peter, what's the lithium power unit you have for your iPhone? I
                  > have a charger for mine that runs off 2 lithium batteries (Adventurer,
                  > something). But
                  > what with batteries for camera, Steripen, iPhone (or some iPod
                  > version), GPS unit, it's getting rather crazy!
                  >
                  > Barbara

                  it's for the iPod - Energizer makes it. $12 on amazon. Have to look it
                  up, but it pretty much is a plastic battery holder for two AA lithiums
                  and it plugs into the iPod power port.

                  http://www.amazon. com/Energizer- Energi-Charger- Lithium-Batterie s/dp/B0016LWQGS

                  mine works fine on a first gen video ipod with 60gb drive, but I'd have
                  to look up the setting on the little voltage dial on the bottom of it.
                  It can fit many different units, but not all of them. I don't think it
                  works on an iPhone.

                  AA lithiums are good enough to power the SPOT for an entire 4 week hike,
                  while in my GPS they work for about 48 hours or 4 days (regular AA
                  alkalines go for about 18 hours). They weigh less than alkalines, too. I
                  bought a 40 pack on ebay last year and plan to do the same this year
                  again. They work in my headlights, etc.

                  Peter

                • robert shattuck
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jan 12, 2010
                    Amanda,

                    if you're just taking a point and shoot camera, then a charger is over-kill. buy a few batteries and you 'll be more than fine. I have a junker canon on which I shoot both pics and video and, I've never had to replace batteries more than once.

                    if you plan on taking a video camera, THEN, a solar charger would be nice . . . but in general, I'd just say, leave the gizmo junk at home.

                    bob

                    sparklefart.blogspot.com

                    To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 29 , Jan 12, 2010
                      Or one could leave most or all of those gadgets home and hike the old fashioned way.

                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Karagosian <barbara@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > > enough to ignore if you can't pick up the resupply when plans change).
                      > >
                      > > Even on the 4 square foot Brunton charger, it takes HOURS to charge
                      > > two
                      > > AA batteries. These things are meant for people in base camps on
                      > > Everest who can put a few of these on top of their tents and forget
                      > > about them. If you're hiking on a daily schedule, especially
                      > > southbound
                      > > where the solar charger on the back of your pack is in the shade all
                      > > the
                      > > time, you simply won't get anything charged unless you spend the hours
                      > > of max solar radiation put in one place.
                      > >
                      > > These things just are too much hassle compared to having a full long
                      > > lasting battery ready to replace the dead one. I am definitely done
                      > > with
                      > > solar chargers until they are a fraction of the current size and put

                    • John
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jan 12, 2010
                        Well said.

                        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, hmdsierra <no_reply@...> wrote:

                        > Or one could leave most or all of those gadgets home and hike the old fashioned way.
                        >
                        > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Karagosian <barbara@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hi Peter, what's the lithium power unit you have for your iPhone? I
                        > > have a charger for mine that runs off 2 lithium batteries (Adventurer,
                        > > something). But
                        > > what with batteries for camera, Steripen, iPhone (or some iPod
                        > > version), GPS unit, it's getting rather crazy!
                        > >
                        > > Barbara

                        > > > keep
                        > > > REI's

                        > > > 12
                        > > > make
                        > > > expensive

                        > > > onto
                        > > > units
                        > > > the

                        > > > Because I needed to charge an HD camera and GPS and a few other
                        > > > things I
                        > > > went all out and bought what was reviewed as one of the best solar
                        > > > chargers back in 2008 - I own a $400 Brunton Solar Roll, and I think
                        > > > it
                        > > > was the most useless gear investment in a long time. Unless you like
                        > > > sit around for hours during the middle of the day and point the
                        > > > charger
                        > > > in the direction of the sun, then carry all that additional weight,
                        > > > just
                        > > > go and get a camera that uses AA batteries and put a few AA lithiums
                        > > > in
                        > > > your resupply box mid trail. I even have an external AA Lithium power
                        > > > supply for my HD camera (DIY job) and a lithium power unit for my
                        > > > iPod.
                        > > > For SLR cameras that don't use AA, I just buy additional batteries on
                        > > > ebay, and put those in the resupply (about $10 each for my Nikon,
                        > > > cheap
                        > > > enough to ignore if you can't pick up the resupply when plans change).
                        > > >
                        > > > Even on the 4 square foot Brunton charger, it takes HOURS to charge
                        > > > two
                        > > > AA batteries. These things are meant for people in base camps on
                        > > > Everest who can put a few of these on top of their tents and forget
                        > > > about them. If you're hiking on a daily schedule, especially
                        > > > southbound
                        > > > where the solar charger on the back of your pack is in the shade all
                        > > > the
                        > > > time, you simply won't get anything charged unless you spend the hours
                        > > > of max solar radiation put in one place.
                        > > >
                        > > > These things just are too much hassle compared to having a full long
                        > > > lasting battery ready to replace the dead one. I am definitely done
                        > > > with
                        > > > solar chargers until they are a fraction of the current size and put
                        > > > out
                        > > > a lot more amps.
                        > > >
                        > > > Peter

                      • Shawn A
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jan 12, 2010
                          I agree with Bob. If you're only bringing a camera, just bring an extra battery (or maybe the wall charger too so you can recharge at Red's Meadow). I was able to take a week worth of photos on my first battery and I still had more than 50% juice left. It's all personal preference, but it seems like bringing a solar charger will only compel you to bring more electronics (thus more weight).

                          > Amanda,
                          > if you're just taking a point and shoot camera, then a charger is over-kill. buy a few batteries and you 'll be more than fine. I have a junker canon on which I shoot both pics and video and, I've never had to replace batteries more than once.
                          > if you plan on taking a video camera, THEN, a solar charger would be nice . . . but in general, I'd just say, leave the gizmo junk at home.
                          > bob
                          >
                          > sparklefart.blogspot.com
                          >

                          > To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                          > From: aslive@...
                          > Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 16:44:55 +0000
                          > Subject: [John Muir Trail] Solar Chargers

                          > Okay, so now I am thinking about bring a solar charger with me to keep my camera charged as I traverse the JMT. I have been looking at REI's Solio chargers, particularly the Classic, Magnesium and the Focus SolorMio Charger. My thinking is that I can suspend the charger from the rear of my backpack as I hike during the day and then charge my camera in the evening at camp.
                          >

                          > The Focus is twice the weight of the other two and charges in only three hours. The Magnesium and the classic seem to have different storage capacities (possibly designed for different devices with different power requirements) with the Classis rated output at 4 - 12 volts at 0-1 amp and the Magnesium output being 1.5 - 8 volts with 0.83 watts/165mA at 6 volts. I guess I can look at my camera and make some decisions about power needs. The Magnesium is also more expensive than the Classic, as is the Focus.
                          >

                          > So what are people using, perhaps a different brand all together? Also, as I will be hiking southbound, the sun will not be shining onto the solar collection panels. Looking at the customer comments, this looks as if it may be a problem, indirect light not charging the units too well. Any thoughts or experience as to this? How about using aluminum foil to shape a reflector that might redirect light into the collector panels?
                          >

                          > As always your thought, logical deductions and experience is greatly appreciated :)
                          >

                          > Amanda

                        • Sim Ong
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jan 12, 2010
                            Leave as many electronic gagets at home as possible is my recommendation.  If you add up the weight of  IPOD or MP3, GPS, Camera, SPOT, Sat phone, Cell phone, the totals will be in pounds.  Now throw in Solar Charger, extra batteries, more weight.

                            When I hiked the JMT two years ago, I just took my Nikon D70 with two extra batteries.  I ended up sending home my partially use battery and a fully charged one for the remainder of the trip.  I did not carry a SPOT (as my partner has one), GPS, IPOD, or MP3.  Just listen to the sound of water fall at night and sound of nature in the day.

                            My recommendation is to carry less the enjoy nature more is my two cents.

                            Good luck planning.

                            Sim

                          • ed_rodriguez52@yahoo.com
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jan 12, 2010
                              I really like your guys points for keeping your gadgets home. I will be taken my cell phone, my i pod (did like singing to my self) with take AAA batteries same as my head lamp. Looking to get a digital camera or a camcorder (would like to post my travel on youtube).

                              I agree with Bob. If you're only bringing a camera, just bring an extra battery (or maybe the wall charger too so you can recharge at Red's Meadow). I was able to take a week worth of photos on my first battery and I still had more than 50% juice left. It's all personal preference, but it seems like bringing a solar charger will only compel you to bring more electronics (thus more weight).

                              --- In johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com, robert shattuck <bobolonius@ ...> wrote:

                              > Amanda,
                              > if you're just taking a point and shoot camera, then a charger is over-kill. buy a few batteries and you 'll be more than fine. I have a junker canon on which I shoot both pics and video and, I've never had to replace batteries more than once.
                              > if you plan on taking a video camera, THEN, a solar charger would be nice . . . but in general, I'd just say, leave the gizmo junk at home.
                              > bob
                              >
                              > sparklefart. blogspot. com
                              > http://www.summitpo st.org/plans/ view_activity. php?post_ id=6480
                              >

                              > To: johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com
                              > From: aslive@...
                              > Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 16:44:55 +0000
                              > Subject: [John Muir Trail] Solar Chargers

                              > Okay, so now I am thinking about bring a solar charger with me to keep my camera charged as I traverse the JMT. I have been looking at REI's Solio chargers, particularly the Classic, Magnesium and the Focus SolorMio Charger. My thinking is that I can suspend the charger from the rear of my backpack as I hike during the day and then charge my camera in the evening at camp.
                              >

                              > The Focus is twice the weight of the other two and charges in only three hours. The Magnesium and the classic seem to have different storage capacities (possibly designed for different devices with different power requirements) with the Classis rated output at 4 - 12 volts at 0-1 amp and the Magnesium output being 1.5 - 8 volts with 0.83 watts/165mA at 6 volts. I guess I can look at my camera and make some decisions about power needs. The Magnesium is also more expensive than the Classic, as is the Focus.
                              >

                              > So what are people using, perhaps a different brand all together? Also, as I will be hiking southbound, the sun will not be shining onto the solar collection panels. Looking at the customer comments, this looks as if it may be a problem, indirect light not charging the units too well. Any thoughts or experience as to this? How about using aluminum foil to shape a reflector that might redirect light into the collector panels?
                              >

                              > As always your thought, logical deductions and experience is greatly appreciated :)
                              >

                              > Amanda

                              > http://clk.atdmt. com/GBL/go/ 196390710/ direct/01/

                            • herbstroh
                              Message 14 of 29 , Apr 1, 2014
                                I am interested in purchasing a solar charger, primarily to charge my iphone while backpacking on extended trips. Anyone have a favorite? Weight and ease of use are obviously big considerations. Any experience with SolarMonkey Adventurer?

                                Thanks.

                                Herb
                                Message 15 of 29 , Apr 1, 2014
                                  https://www.goalzero.com/p/147/goal-zero-switch-8-nomad-7-kit/

                                  Weighs (entire kit), 11.65 oz.

                                  The cylinder charger (Called Switch 8), included in the above, weighs, 3.0 oz precisely (so the charging panel weighs 8.65 oz).

                                  If you're hiking with another, they only need to bring a Switch 8 charger for themselves, as the panel is powerful enough to charge up to Switch 8 chargers during your hike during the day, enabling both of you to charge your devices that night.

                                  I used the above on my 2013 JMT.

                                  Limitation is that it is only good for USB-chargeable stuff (like my Iphone and Ipod Nano).  Not good for my Fenix LD01 flashlight (which uses 1 AAA lithium battery) or my Steripen (which uses 2 CR123 Lithium Batteries) or my Spot 2 (which uses 3 AAA Lithium Batteries), but fortunately I'm able to go half my hike (until MTR) just with the batteries inside these devices (except I bring along a spare AAA for the flashlight).

                                  _

                                  On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 1:17 PM, <hstroh@...> wrote:

                                  I am interested in purchasing a solar charger, primarily to charge my iphone while backpacking on extended trips. Anyone have a favorite? Weight and ease of use are obviously big considerations. Any experience with SolarMonkey Adventurer?

                                  Thanks.

                                  Herb

                                • thruhiker1
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Apr 1, 2014
                                    I am buying a Switch 8 for my trip this fall.  I have been upgrading my equipment and have gone to almost all USB rechargeable devices, Black Diamond Revolt and Steripen Ultra being the newest changes.  The Switch 8 allows me to now recharge most of my equipment that I carry.

                                    Just watch out when buying Goal Zero equipment from online dealers.  Several companies are still packaging the Switch 8 with the smaller Nomad 3.5 that the company discontinued because of design flaws.  Other than that I hear great reviews and experiences about their products.

                                    Phillip
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Apr 1, 2014
                                      Correction, I have the Nomad 3.5 with the Switch 8 kit

                                      So my weights are for that.

                                      I don't understand the latest post complaint about the Nomad 3.5, it worked great for me and it weighs less.

                                      _

                                      On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 1:29 PM, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...> wrote:
[...]

                                    • eric schultz

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Apr 1, 2014
                                          Customer reviews of Nomad 3.5 exposed a quality control issue with the panels.  Many malfunctioned from the beginning or within days.  Hard to recommend a product that has such an unreliable history in the backcountry.  Its telling as Goal Zero no longer lists them in their solar panel, compact or kit sections of their website; from my understanding they have discontinued production.  They now package the Switch 8 and Guide 10 with the Nomad 7. ( If you search their website they have several highly discounted packages that include the Nomad 3.5 but they are not listed without using their search engine.  From what I understand these are the last panels within their inventory. )

                                          Its not an ideal outcome as the Nomad 3.5 was closer to the weight range most folks are willing to carry.  But do you really want to take a panel into the backcountry that has such a well-reported failure rate?  Not me and that particular Goal Zero product seemed to fail for a lot of customers. (Which seems rare for them as a company.  I am gonna buy their Switch 8 because of the reviews.  I actually applaud them for discontinuing a what is reported to be a flawed product).

                                          Phillip

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Apr 1, 2014
                                            I do see the reviews on Amazon are more favorable for the Nomad 7.  If anyone has it, can they weigh the Nomad 7  panel only (without the Switch 8 charger or their other charger that uses reuseable batteries).  I'd like to know how it compares, weight wise, with the Nomad 3.5 panel.  For now, I'm keeping the Nomad 3.5 panel as it works just fine for me.

                                            Roleigh

                                            _

                                            On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 3:38 PM, <Happyfeet00@...> wrote:

[...]

                                          • Swamy LLM
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Apr 1, 2014
                                              I bought Nomad7. It weighs 18oz (1.125 lbs) including  12v cable.
                                              I do not have switch 8, but bought Guide-10 battery pack that weighs 7 oz.

                                              I cannot comment on performance yet as I haven't used them in the field.

                                              -Swamy

                                              To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Apr 1, 2014
                                                Roleigh

                                                The weight for my Nomad 7 is 7.9 oz. and that is is the untrimmed original carrying case.  With the Guide 10 pack of 4 "AA" batteries it weighs in at 13.9 oz.

                                                I've used mine for 3 years with great results.  It puts a charge of about 75% on my 7 inch Galaxy, that equates to about 8 hours of video playback.  It will put a full charge on a Samsung  Note 3.  The guide 10 pack gets a full charge in a days hiking or 6 hours of direct sun.  Usually carry it on my pack and then set in in good sun if I stop early enough.  I've converted everything to either rechargeable batteries or charge by usb.

                                                Casey
                                              • Swamy LLM
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Apr 1, 2014
                                                  to be specific, I have Nomad 7 V2.

                                                  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D2SPZAM/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

                                                  -Swamy

                                                  To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Apr 1, 2014
                                                    I used the Bushnell Mini Solar Wrap on the JMT last year. Hung it from my pack during the day, and charged my smart phone (USB only) at day's end. Weight of the charger and my USB cable is only 3.1 oz. Debra
                                                  • debrabrownbear
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Apr 1, 2014
                                                      I also have a new (used once) Nomad 7M solar panel (14.4 oz) and a Goal Zero Guide 10 Plus battery pack with 4 rechargeable AA batteries (6.0 oz) and the cables (0.9 oz). Now that I am using the Bushnell Solar Mini Wrap, I don't need the Nomad/Goal Zero combo. It's a bit heavy for backpacking, but very versatile. If anyone is interested in it, message me offline. Debra
                                                    • abearson
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Apr 1, 2014
                                                        I would consider one of these instead of a solar charger. Less weight, more reliable: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DUKJ5CQ/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                                                      • Donovan Sarka
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Apr 1, 2014
                                                          We used this last year, charged 2 IPhones and 1 steripen and were quite satisfied.

                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Apr 3, 2014
                                                            Correction.
                                                             I weighed my Nomad 3.5 in stead of the Nomad 7.
                                                            Sorry about that!

                                                            Casey
                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Apr 3, 2014
                                                              Interesting, only 6.6 oz --  is that correct?

                                                              _