Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Bear canisters

  • pdahl2@netscape.net
    Message 1 of 34 , May 8, 2004
      I hiked the JMT last summer. I set up camp just north of Forester Pass near tree line. Shortly thereafter a goup of high school students set up their tents near mine. They left some food and trash out overnight but burried it under rocks and set their mess kits on the rocks. Twice that night a bear came and their mess kits came crashing down when the bear dragged away their food or trash.

      thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@...> wrote:

      >Bear lockers are located on the far southern portion
      >of the trail around Onion Valley where the bears are
      >"bad bears."  Personally I have never seen a bear on
      >the JMT above the tree-line. Most of the trail runs
      >above the tree line where there is not much food for
      >bears to forage for and I've never seen a bear yet
      >that's doin' the JMT.  Where you will run into bears
      >is in the campgrounds along the trail, like Tuolumne
      >Mdws, and where the trail drops down below the tree
      >line.
      >
      >--- JD Schaefer <jdrows@...> wrote:
      >> Use tinyurl.com so you don't have this problem
      >> JD
      >>

      >> ndeewoods wrote:
      >>
      >> >Grrr, you can't see it cuz of Yahoo's
      >> advertisement... I'll wrap it
      >> >around so you can see it all.
      >> >
      >> >www.nps.gov/seki/snrm/wildlife/
      >> >wildlife_data/lockers.rtf
      >> >

      >=====
      >Best regards,
      >
      >Thomas
      >
      >Thomas Taylor
      >tgtaylor7@...
      >http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7

      Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

    • kblovold
      Message 34 of 34 , Mar 31, 2013
        Thanks for the helpful input and sorry for the incorrect spelling of consensus.