Re: [John Muir Trail] lockers

  • JD Schaefer
    Message 1 of 3 , May 7, 2004
      JMTers
      I agree about the boulder part but I was able to get 10-days into a
      Bearikade Weekender (the smaller one). It depends on your food
      selection and how you pack. It took me 3 tries until I figured out how.

      I bought from Enertia (samplers bought on eBay is a good way to go) and
      cooked in my .8L pot, not the included pouch that came with each Enertia
      meal. The pouch would get tossed during trip prep; the components and
      directions were bundled with a rubber band, thus saving bulk and
      weight. My last resupply was at MTR (SoBo) and I carried my day's food
      on my person thus reducing the canister volume and the weight on my
      shoulders. Each morning I put the day's rations in my belt pouch or a
      cargo pocket to reduce having to unpack the items in the canister until
      the next morning or that night. In this way I didn't have to resupply
      until after reaching Whitney. There was a bit of caloric deficit which
      next time will be addressed by filling more nooks and crannies with more
      trail mix (maybe one of two M&ms) in small zip-locs.

      Smooth trails
      JD