Re: [John Muir Trail] lockers

  • thomas taylor
    Message 1 of 3 , May 7 8:10 AM
      The problem with the bear can is that you can only get
      about 6-days of rations smashed into it and it feels
      and carries like a boulder of granite in your pack.
      Having said that, I have always packed one during
      extended trips, but never more than one. On trips that
      will last more than 6 days, I carry the balance in a
      water-proof bag which I hang. However, I have never
      had a bear enter my camp-site nor have I ever heard of
      bears stealing food from PCT hikers for whom carrying
      a bear can is compleyely out of the question. Most of
      the trail can be construed 'remote' with few hikers
      even during mid-season and, except for yourself, have
      only encountered one hiker who told me that his and
      his brothers food was stolen by a bear near Onion
      Valley, I believe. Most of the bear thefts occur
      where there are concentrations of campers, like around
      Catherdal Lakes in Yosemite, and Onion Valley which is
      a popular camping spot for day hikers. I'm not
      advocating not using a bear can by any means, but for
      extended trips beyond 6-days into the Sierra they are
      simply not practical. In that case, you will need to
      carry more than one or, like me, hang the difference.
      But one does come in handy for showering with: Fill
      it with water and place it in the sun for 30-45
      minutes and you're a new person again!

      =====
      Best regards,

      Thomas

      Thomas Taylor
      tgtaylor7@...
      http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
    • JD Schaefer
      Message 2 of 3 , May 7 9:25 AM
        JMTers
        I agree about the boulder part but I was able to get 10-days into a
        Bearikade Weekender (the smaller one). It depends on your food
        selection and how you pack. It took me 3 tries until I figured out how.

        I bought from Enertia (samplers bought on eBay is a good way to go) and
        cooked in my .8L pot, not the included pouch that came with each Enertia
        meal. The pouch would get tossed during trip prep; the components and
        directions were bundled with a rubber band, thus saving bulk and
        weight. My last resupply was at MTR (SoBo) and I carried my day's food
        on my person thus reducing the canister volume and the weight on my
        shoulders. Each morning I put the day's rations in my belt pouch or a
        cargo pocket to reduce having to unpack the items in the canister until
        the next morning or that night. In this way I didn't have to resupply
        until after reaching Whitney. There was a bit of caloric deficit which
        next time will be addressed by filling more nooks and crannies with more
        trail mix (maybe one of two M&ms) in small zip-locs.

        Smooth trails
        JD