lockers

  • Ed Lulofs
    Message 1 of 3 , May 7, 2004
      While I agree that the bears are a worst problem at the trailheads &
      campgrounds,
      in my experience, bears cruise the JMT.
      I see lots of bear signs, and I see people get their food attacked when
      they don't use cans.
      In the dozen times i have camped on the JMT without a can,
      I have been hit 80% of the time.
      When I use the can(always now!), i never get bothered.

      When the bears get food even once, it is bad and the bears are on the
      path to get shot.

      It is just a fact of life in the sierras now:
      use bear cannisters, filter water, rarely is there enough wood for a
      fire.

      There are a lots of places in the sierras where the bears are not a
      problem. North of Yosemite on the PCT, for example, they hunt bears and
      people don't even hang food. Remote areas with few people have no
      bears.
      But the JMT has heavy and regular bear patrols in my experience.

      Bear lockers are going out of favor:
      1) they concentrate camping in that area,
      2) they are expensive to install and maintain,
      3) people cache food in them,
      4) people leave trash in them. The burden is on the rangers.
      Bear canisters on the other hand have none of these disadvantages for
      the rangers, the burden is on the hiker.
      As hikers we may not like that, but I consider it a fact of life in the
      sierras now.
      Ed

      Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 07:41:48 -0700 (PDT)
      From: thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@...>
      Subject: Re: Re: Bear canisters

      Bear lockers are located on the far southern portion
      of the trail around Onion Valley where the bears are
      "bad bears." Personally I have never seen a bear on
      the JMT above the tree-line. Most of the trail runs
      above the tree line where there is not much food for
      bears to forage for and I've never seen a bear yet
      that's doin' the JMT. Where you will run into bears
      is in the campgrounds along the trail, like Tuolumne
      Mdws, and where the trail drops down below the tree
      line.
    • thomas taylor
      Message 2 of 3 , May 7, 2004
        The problem with the bear can is that you can only get
        about 6-days of rations smashed into it and it feels
        and carries like a boulder of granite in your pack.
        Having said that, I have always packed one during
        extended trips, but never more than one. On trips that
        will last more than 6 days, I carry the balance in a
        water-proof bag which I hang. However, I have never
        had a bear enter my camp-site nor have I ever heard of
        bears stealing food from PCT hikers for whom carrying
        a bear can is compleyely out of the question. Most of
        the trail can be construed 'remote' with few hikers
        even during mid-season and, except for yourself, have
        only encountered one hiker who told me that his and
        his brothers food was stolen by a bear near Onion
        Valley, I believe. Most of the bear thefts occur
        where there are concentrations of campers, like around
        Catherdal Lakes in Yosemite, and Onion Valley which is
        a popular camping spot for day hikers. I'm not
        advocating not using a bear can by any means, but for
        extended trips beyond 6-days into the Sierra they are
        simply not practical. In that case, you will need to
        carry more than one or, like me, hang the difference.
        But one does come in handy for showering with: Fill
        it with water and place it in the sun for 30-45
        minutes and you're a new person again!

        =====
        Best regards,

        Thomas

        Thomas Taylor
        tgtaylor7@...
        http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
      • JD Schaefer
        Message 3 of 3 , May 7, 2004
          JMTers
          I agree about the boulder part but I was able to get 10-days into a
          Bearikade Weekender (the smaller one). It depends on your food
          selection and how you pack. It took me 3 tries until I figured out how.

          I bought from Enertia (samplers bought on eBay is a good way to go) and
          cooked in my .8L pot, not the included pouch that came with each Enertia
          meal. The pouch would get tossed during trip prep; the components and
          directions were bundled with a rubber band, thus saving bulk and
          weight. My last resupply was at MTR (SoBo) and I carried my day's food
          on my person thus reducing the canister volume and the weight on my
          shoulders. Each morning I put the day's rations in my belt pouch or a
          cargo pocket to reduce having to unpack the items in the canister until
          the next morning or that night. In this way I didn't have to resupply
          until after reaching Whitney. There was a bit of caloric deficit which
          next time will be addressed by filling more nooks and crannies with more
          trail mix (maybe one of two M&ms) in small zip-locs.

          Smooth trails
          JD