Re: [John Muir Trail] where to camp

    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 6, 2010
      Thanks to Peter for the detailed listing other high spots to camp - great list!

      > If you like to see stars at night - search for the new moon dates and
      > see if you will get those perfect start-dotted skies when you are up high.

      The other strategy for good night skies is to look for late moonrises.
      This last year in mid-July there was a series of nights when moonrise
      was at least an hour after sunset, giving an hour or more of great
      stargazing.

      There are tables available on the Groups' files area that gave sunset
      and moonrise times for 2009. I'll update them for 2010 and let the
      group know when they are available. They make it relatively easy to
      find the nights when you'll have darkness after sunset. (Also helps
      for planning the kind of moonlight hiking that Peter mentions.)

      San Francisco, CA  94114-3707