Re: [John Muir Trail] Gloves

  • ed_rodriguez52@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 53 , Jan 5, 2010
      Interesting point Peter, it was my understanding the most effective way to use the poles are with the straps so that you are lightly griping the poles instead with a heavier grading with out using the straps. I really don't know

      From: Peter Burke <pburke@...>
      Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 15:41:41 -0600
      To: <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Gloves

      Roleigh Martin wrote:

      > I like the REI gloves because they are very breathable, light, and
      > have a long "skirt" around the wrist, which enables the leather
      > strap of the hiking pole to wrap around that "skirt".

      here's from an ER doctor I met hiking: NEVER use the strap on these
      poles unless you're crossing a moving stream and don't want to lose your
      poles. You're only asking for a wrist injury the next time you slip and
      the pole gets stuck in one of these common granite cracks that seem to
      never want to give up your pole.

      I never put my hands through these loops - the minimal gain in "support"
      of your forearms isn't worth the risk, plus, I can hike all day without
      gloves to protect me from the straps. The only other great use of the
      straps is to pick up a pole with the other pole after you dropped it, so
      you don't have to bend down with your heavy pack.

      Peter

    • Sam Rohlfs
      Message 53 of 53 , Feb 29, 2012
        Last year I hiked with those ragwool gloves with the "flip-over" part that makes them into mittens. I really liked them. Even though I had about a week in the rain, the gloves still kept me warm. They are half-finger gloves, mittens, and work when wet (you just cant keep taking your gloves off everytime there's water around). You've got to have your finger tips free when needed. Plus they are cheap!

        Sam