Re: [John Muir Trail] Ideal JMT Sleeping Bag (July 12 - Aug 4)

    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 5, 2010
      I gather skdupre already made his bag decision, but I'll add my 2 cents worth.  (I've been catching up afte Christmas, so have been uncharacteristicly quiet of late).

      I've decided that I'm happy with a satisfactory, rather than a perfect, bag.  For me, the REI Subkilo has worked well.

      Weighs 32 oz. 750-fill down.  Fairly tight mummy design.

      REI has it on overstock sale right now - price reduced from $250 to $170.

      http://www.rei.com/product/780902

      It's rated for 20 degrees, though I think the ratings are rather fictional and in any case, people are very different in how much warmth they need.

      I've used it in seriously sub-freezing temperatures, though this may be because I use a hooped bivy, which is even warmer than a tent.  And with a silk liner and clothes inside the bag and occasionally (snow camping) with a double sleeping pad for extra protection from the cold ground.

      My theory: A lot of your warmth depends on decisions made other than the bag itself.  I think you can make almost any halfway-decent down bag work if you have the right other clothing/equipment and if you are religious about keeping the bag protected from all the forms of moisture (condensation as well as rain and falls into streams).

      I suspect I could get away with a lighter-weight bag for the Sierra in summer, but I like the comfort of a warm bag and the safety of knowing that I can deal with unexpected bad conditions.

      Like Barbara, I've had a good experience with the new (first available in 2009) Therm-A-Rest NeoAir pads.  Very comfortable, compact and lightweight (14 oz.). But pricey (about $150). And I continue to worry about durability (I've used mine only about 20 nights so far) and doubt that it gives particularly good insulation from the ground.

      San Francisco, CA  94114-3707