Re: [John Muir Trail] Vermillion Resort

  • thomas taylor
    Message 1 of 34 , Apr 29, 2004
      You might want to check the map mileage again. On
      mine, the resort is at least 10-miles, one-way, from
      the JMT on the Goodale pass trail and about 6 or
      7-miles back to the JMT on the Bear Ridge Trail which
      runs on the south side of the lake. So round-trip
      you're talkin' about 20-miles - 6-miles shy of a
      marathon. But if you ran a half-marathon last week
      you're in good enough shape to cover that 20 miles and
      the 212 - miles of the JMT! Go for it!

      By considering the Goodale pass route to the resort I
      assume that you will be starting in the valley and
      heading south. If so, when you get up on Silver pass
      you will see 3 possibilities of where the actual pass
      is. The one one your left is clearly in the wrong
      direction. The one on your right, while in the
      correct direction, doesn't look like it will pan out
      while the one in the center looks good. It's the one
      on your right. The one in the center leads to an
      abysmal drop-off. The PCT'ers glissade down it but
      going the other way you'll have to climb it. That's
      not a problem though. Finding it is. Be prepared for
      problems on Mather. The top is steep, somewhat
      exposed, and always snow-covered. The approach from
      the north is easier than from the south but don't try
      it in the morning when the snow is like slick ice
      without an ice-axe. Once, in mid season and without
      an axe, I post holed near the top and lost my balance
      and went head-first, on my back, down the side.
      However it was mid afternoon and the snow was soft and
      I flipped over and got my head pointed back up-hill
      and self arrested using my fingers and toes. Had I
      not self-arrested, I seriously doubt if I would have
      been injured,thanks to the soft snow, just merely
      inconvenienced by being a few hundred meters back down
      the mountain again. On hard ice and without an ice
      axe, I would have picked up speed and would have ended
      up more than merely inconvenienced.

      Thomas

      =====
      Best regards,

      Thomas

      Thomas Taylor
      tgtaylor7@...
      http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
    • kblovold
      Message 34 of 34 , Mar 31, 2013
        Thanks for the helpful input and sorry for the incorrect spelling of consensus.