Re: [John Muir Trail] Repost with correct subject -- Many in group want a group patch to wear on the JMT

  • ed_rodriguez52@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 3, 2010
      I like this idea and willing to wear something as I hike the JMT this year. The only suggestion or idea I would say is to wear it in front of us (like something to go on the shoulder strap) so as we pass each other we can identified our group

      From: Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...>
      Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 18:49:01 -0600
      To: John Muir Trail YahooGroups<johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>; <info@...>
      Subject: [John Muir Trail] Repost with correct subject -- Many in group want a group patch to wear on the JMT

      Reposting so we get more thread followers -- the "Happy New Year" line may not have been getting much attention.  For those new to t he thread, many on the group have talked about a way to visually identify other groupers on the JMT.  Various ideas have been posted, I invite them to repost under this subject line.  Here's my 2 cents.

      [Attachment(s) from Roleigh Martin included below]

      I spent about 20 minutes with google and found some options for branded items.

      I thought perhaps a branded ultralight whistle, similar to the one preferred in the Backpackinglight. com in which the whistle is flat, ultra-light, and loud.  I found this item and it's cool because it's light (don't know exact weight though) and it has a key-light too (good for light-backup purposes too), but the bummer is minimum quantity requirement.

      Brand Items: http://www.branders .com/product/ promotional_ items_Key_ Light_Whistle? prdid=73792
                        Small Key Lite and Whistle .91 - minimum qty of 300

      So then I looked at patches and found two options.  The first one supports printed patches, is cheaper than the second, but the minimum quantity is 50 versus 25, however 50 of the one is cheaper than 25 of the other, in fact the difference is almost 4-to-1.

      One idea is to have one person do the purchase and those who want the patches to buy from that person.  We could have promises to buy a patch at a price <= set price be stated up front so that one person knows ahead of time his/her cost will be recovered.  A shipping price would be needed to be gotten from a local post office -- when things are not 100% flat inside an envelope, there may be a different postal cost.

      Here is an idea for a patch I put together.  I'm sure someone with better PhotoShop skills could do a better job (I'd like the top line to be curved around the circular edge myself but could not figure how to do it).  See attached photo.

      The photo is a hacked version of the web site logo for http://johnmuirtrai l.org/photos. html -- we'd have to check with that webmaster to see if there are copyrights to it.  Anyone know Steve and Claire Schauer at info@johnmuirtrail. org or are they members of this group (my aged, poor memory fails me now -- if so, I 100% apologize)  [In repost, I copied them.  Steve, Claire, did you draw that logo, or what is the story behind it?  What is the copyright behind it if any?]

      Question: what patch will hold up to washings the best?  Keep its readability the best?  Those are probably issues of importance and maybe the more expensive patch is worth it, who knows?  I don't.

      http://www.thepatch store.com/ shopdisplayprodu cts.asp?id= 30&cat=Printed+ Patches
                       Printed patches, $1.10 apiece, minimum qty of 50, $15 setup price

      http://stadriemblem s.com/sublimatio n.html
                       Printed/photo patches, 1-5/8" x 3-5/8", minimum qty of 25, $3.95 apiece

      Attachment(s) from Roleigh Martin

      1 of 1 Photo(s)

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 5, 2010
        Thanks to Roleigh and others for bringing up this topic (group recognition symbol) again.

        I'm hesitant about patches.  Some people have more than one shirt or wear just a T-shirt some days, sunshirt on other days.  All of us probably wear raingear at times. I can't see putting a JMT-Y! patch on everything I wear.

        I like Roleigh's original idea for using a whistle (presumably visible above the waist) as a recognition device, but don't think we really need a group logo on it.  While any commercially-available whistle we chose MIGHT be also used by someone else, it is fairly uncommon to wear the whistle somewhere visible (though I think it's a good practice to keep it handy -- as noted below).

        Roleigh tells me that this whistle (which I already liked) is recommended on a lightweight site he favors:

        ACR-Emergency-Whistle.jpg

        It costs under $3 at Campmor.com.  (I think most people would find other things they need there to amortize the $6 shipping cost - I seem to have at least 2 orders per year there).

        I really like wearing a whistle because it's always there when I need it.  On my last JMT hke, I slipped in a stream and ended up with my butt on one rock and my still-dry boots on a higher rock.  There were several hikers nearby but they couldn't hear my yell for help getting back on my feet.  I had the whistle safety-pinned to my shirt (a habit I forced on my girls when I was teaching them to hike) and I used it to get their attention.  I could have recovered from the slip without help, but I know that I would have gotten a lot wetter if they hadn't helped.  A handy whistle also helps get the attention of a fellow hiker who's out of shouting range but within whistle range - e.g., he's about to turn right when he should turn left.  (And, of course, 3 blasts on a whistle is a well-recognized distress call in a real emergency).

        It's of course likely that other people will own the same whistle, and some of them may wear it on the outside.  But how much harm is there in occasionally asking a non-member if they belong to the Yahoo JMT group? Maybe we could tell them why it's a good group.

        Besides, my daughters would tell me that it's "dorky" to wear a patch or a logo.

        Anybody else have views about whether they would be more likely to wear a patch or adopt a standard whistle?

        San Francisco, CA  94114-3707
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 5, 2010
          I have pros and cons about John's ideas.

          1.  Both internet groups are great ones for JMT hikers, our group and backpackinglight.com -- the below whistle is the top recommended whistle for BPL.  The BPL forum is a super great knowledgeable and friendly forum.  I enjoy it as much as I do the JMT forum and what's great about BPL is the incredible scientific analysis of gear, etc. that goes on there.  The owners of the site have PhDs.  So if we went with the whistle, for me, it would be a strong give-away they're people I'd want to talk to regardless if they belong to one or the group or both.

          2.  As for the problem with patches on everything, heck -- just put the patch on your pack.  I bought a JMT patch at the Whitney Hostel in Lone Pine and had it sewn on my pack this last summer.  Marsha Colby whom I think belongs to this group, you should see the patches on her pack.  Cool. Also, the patch is something that can advertise the group even when you're not thinking about talking about it.  Who's going to raise the question about the group looking at a whistle?

          A middle ground is to do it both ways.  some could have one but not the other, some could have both.  That makes it three ways.

          On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 4:42 PM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:

[...]

          415-648-9279

        • ed_rodriguez52@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 5, 2010
            Well here are my 2 cents. I like the idea of the patch but the way I see thing is if someone put the patch on there pack as we come across them we might not be able to see it. Now if the group wants to go with the whistle as we come across each other and see that we are wearing a whistle we can ask them if they are apart of our group.

            From: Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...>
            Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 16:50:48 -0600
            To: <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>

            On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 4:42 PM, John Ladd <johnladd@gmail. com> wrote:

[...]

          • Barbara Karagosian
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 5, 2010

              I’m fine with a whistle – and I already have just this one!

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 5, 2010

                And I’m good with a patch to – I’ll do both!

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 5, 2010
                  Ed's comment about the patch on the bag not being so visible is true, and made me think about putting the patch on my hat.  Then I got to thinking, instead of a patch, why not a pin-on button like those political campaign buttons?  I think they'd be cheaper too, and one could pin it on the hat/cap while hiking the JMT and take it off afterwards.  They're also very bright and noticeable and therefore, we should be able to go with a smaller button, perhaps a 1.5" diameter button.  I'll see about what the costs are for buttons.  They may be cheaper too.
                • ed_rodriguez52@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 5, 2010
                    Roleigh I really like your idea. That something I can put on my shoulder strap

                    From: Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...>
                    Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 19:15:50 -0600
                    To: <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>

                    Ed's comment about the patch on the bag not being so visible is true, and made me think about putting the patch on my hat.  Then I got to thinking, instead of a patch, why not a pin-on button like those political campaign buttons?  I think they'd be cheaper too, and one could pin it on the hat/cap while hiking the JMT and take it off afterwards.  They're also very bright and noticeable and therefore, we should be able to go with a smaller button, perhaps a 1.5" diameter button.  I'll see about what the costs are for buttons.  They may be cheaper too.

                  • Jon Sterling
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 6, 2010
                      My brother got me 50 buttons with my photo on them for Christmas.  They say, "I met Jon Sterling" and at the bottom in smaller font, "and he liked me."

                      My family is hilarious, but we could run with that idea.  I doubt they cost very much on a bulk order, although individual buttons might be more.

                      From: Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...>
                      Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 19:15:50 -0600