RE: [John Muir Trail] happy new year

  • robert shattuck
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 2, 2010
      Maybe, this year, everyone could wear one of those yellow (or whatever color/cause you choose to support)  LIVE STRONG bracelets. wouldn't get in your way, it's not cotton, you'd never have to think about it, or tinker with it on the side of your pack . . . but then there's always just a good 'ole fashion, tattoo or even a brand––really show your support for the trail .  . . "JMT" on one calf and then your years on the other . . .

      sparklefart.blogspot.com

      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      CC: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      From: barbara@...
      Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 23:16:15 -0800
      Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] happy new year

      My headgear varies, but something like that might work- a flag attached to the top of the pack?  Just kidding, but something wld be fun.

      Barbara

      On Jan 1, 2010, at 4:44 AM, Linda Reitz <hikejmt47@yahoo. com> wrote:

      I work midnights so I am busy at work New Years eve but want to say Happy New Year to all.

      Someone mentioned the idea of wearing something identifiagle by all us in the group while hiking the JMT. sounds great doesn't it? Maybe a patch for head gear?

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2, 2010
      I spent about 20 minutes with google and found some options for branded items.

      I thought perhaps a branded ultralight whistle, similar to the one preferred in the Backpackinglight.com in which the whistle is flat, ultra-light, and loud.  I found this item and it's cool because it's light (don't know exact weight though) and it has a key-light too (good for light-backup purposes too), but the bummer is minimum quantity requirement.

      Brand Items: http://www.branders.com/product/promotional_items_Key_Light_Whistle?prdid=73792
                        Small Key Lite and Whistle .91 - minimum qty of 300

      So then I looked at patches and found two options.  The first one supports printed patches, is cheaper than the second, but the minimum quantity is 50 versus 25, however 50 of the one is cheaper than 25 of the other, in fact the difference is almost 4-to-1.

      One idea is to have one person do the purchase and those who want the patches to buy from that person.  We could have promises to buy a patch at a price <= set price be stated up front so that one person knows ahead of time his/her cost will be recovered.  A shipping price would be needed to be gotten from a local post office -- when things are not 100% flat inside an envelope, there may be a different postal cost.

      Here is an idea for a patch I put together.  I'm sure someone with better PhotoShop skills could do a better job (I'd like the top line to be curved around the circular edge myself but could not figure how to do it).  See attached photo.

      The photo is a hacked version of the web site logo for http://johnmuirtrail.org/photos.html -- we'd have to check with that webmaster to see if there are copyrights to it.  Anyone know Steve and Claire Schauer at info@... or are they members of this group (my aged, poor memory fails me now -- if so, I 100% apologize)

      Question: what patch will hold up to washings the best?  Keep its readability the best?  Those are probably issues of importance and maybe the more expensive patch is worth it, who knows?  I don't.

      http://www.thepatchstore.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=30&cat=Printed+Patches
                       Printed patches, $1.10 apiece, minimum qty of 50, $15 setup price

      http://stadriemblems.com/sublimation.html
                       Printed/photo patches, 1-5/8" x 3-5/8", minimum qty of 25, $3.95 apiece
    • Barbara Karagosian
      Message 3 of 7 , Jan 2, 2010
        Great idea Roleigh. I used to get large quantities if patches made for Girl Scout events and your pricing looks good. These things usually hold up well tocwear and tear. I have a GS "patch jacket" with all the patches on for 10 years!  Alix would never talk to me again if I ever wore it.
        Would patches be better glued on or sewn on?  Glue maynot last but sewing may create leakable holes perhaps.

        Barbara

        The photo is a hacked version of the web site logo for http://johnmuirtrai l.org/photos. html -- we'd have to check with that webmaster to see if there are copyrights to it.  Anyone know Steve and Claire Schauer at info@johnmuirtrail. org or are they members of this group (my aged, poor memory fails me now -- if so, I 100% apologize)